TIGHAR thinks it has part of plane...

It's actually L'Oiseau Blanc. I do agree with you overall, but will say that I am not at all surprised they were unable to find the airplane in Maine. If you've ever been off path in wooded areas of the state, you'll understand why.

Thanks for the correction. No doubt finding the airplane, no matter where it is, is needle in the haystack kind of stuff and their chances for success were poor, even if the airplane crashed in Maine, which is one of a thousand possibilities.

Really? Judge much? Over 2500 nautical miles with just a compass, watch and a sextant. They had to hit a little island of just 450 acres with just 4 miles of coastline. All by dead reckoning. I seriously, seriously doubt you could do it. I know I couldn't. By the way, they only had two more stops if they had made it to Howland. Honolulu and Oakland, CA. Nearly all the way around the world with nothing but a compass, watch, sextant and sometimes an ADF. The leg to Howland was by far the riskiest and most challenging of all. It proved to be too much.

How far have you been around the world?

Not quite all DED reckoning.
"The USCGC Itasca was on station at Howland, assigned to communicate with Earhart's Lockheed Electra 10E and guide them to the island once they arrived in the vicinity."

Hey. Whenever you hear "We discovered an old picture that could show..." you bet it's nonsense. The picture had to be taken by human with, you know, eyes. Don' cha think the photographer would have gotten a closer look if it looked interesting to him?

The argument can't be "can you prove it wrong?" It's always can you, making the claim, prove it right?

Nobody can prove it's wrong that Amelia was taken by alien collectors to be frozen in suspended animation and on put on display in a space museum, only to be discovered more hundreds of years later by the Starship Voyager.

So anyone taking the photo will automatically identify that as a piece of a Lockheed landing gear, if such it was? I think not.

You can't expect all theories to be proven true or false with the first piece of evidence.

Back