Tiger v Phil

I watched this( paid for it) and honestly really enjoyed it. I’m a somewhat serious golfer who played division two golf in college on scholarship so I’m a more avid golfer than most. The match had two iconic names from my formative years as a golfer so I was interested. The best part was the two guys were mic’d Up and we’re pretty chatty until crunch time. Their conversations were interesting. I also really found the golf to be pretty good as well and the course was amazing. Both Tiger and Phil seemed to understand the tone of the match and, while Phil was far more engaging, both golfers really showed class throughout the match. I hope this becomes a tradition( with different golfers each year) as I’d certainly be a customer.

A few improvements I’d reccomend are.

1. At times there were way to many voices talking at once. With the announcers, players and other commentators ( including Charles Barkly, who added lots of funny lines but was largely useless beyond that) made it really hard to actually hear the golfers talk. I really don’t care that Charles Barkley thinks he can double bogey the first hole— an actual conversation had on the broadcast— but I do care about how Phil is planning on executing his next shot.

2. Eliminate the side bets. While it was an element that added something new, the side bets were so dull( closest to the pin on a par 3 is about as obvious a bet as anything) that they really added nothing to the event. I’d replace it with random skill challenges( also could be bet on.). Have these guys escape a bunker, hit around trees, make impossible recovery shots, that would be fun to watch.

3. Make sure the pay per view system is set up correctly! Phil won the match like 2 minutes before the time allotted for the event on the pay per view event expired. The coverage ended exactly at 800 pm on my provider. I would have been beyond ****ed if the coverage ended before the event concluded! It’s live sports so the window allocated for the event needs to be far beyond the time to conclude the event!

Overall, this format has a future. I’m not surprised people who don’t like golf think this is stupid but for the actual golf fan, this was a nice way to spend a bunch of hours!

Last edited:
Back