Thumb in the air, looking for a new place

I liked my job, but I hated the city, hated commuting between Music Row and Brentwood, hated the people, hated downtown, hated the airports (well, Tune, BNA and Smyrna, anyway), hated the climate, hated the boating. Basically, I found no redeeming qualities at all in living there. My wife and I dropped one of the "L's" and we call it NashVILE. (I guess it was kinda cool having Peter Frampton, Alan Jackson and Dolly as neighbors, though.)

But hey, if you like it, great! Different strokes for different folks. We were fresh from living in Coconut Grove in Miami and Nashvile just was not our cup of tea.

We're all entitled to our opinions, no matter how incorrect they may be :D

I liked my job, but I hated the city, hated commuting between Music Row and Brentwood, hated the people, hated downtown, hated the airports (well, Tune, BNA and Smyrna, anyway), hated the climate, hated the boating. Basically, I found no redeeming qualities at all in living there. My wife and I dropped one of the "L's" and we call it NashVILE. (I guess it was kinda cool having Peter Frampton, Alan Jackson and Dolly as neighbors, though.)

But hey, if you like it, great! Different strokes for different folks. We were fresh from living in Coconut Grove in Miami and Nashvile just was not our cup of tea.
Don't get me started on Jacksonville :vomit: When the highlight of an entire city is a Hooter's location that is a clue.

what didnt you like about wichita missa?

Flat, barron, dirty, few resturaunts that I would consider eating at, Hot and muggy. It made Williamsport look like a happening metropolitan area and that's not easy. Granted I was at an extreamly BAD hotel (due to last minute travel arrangements and an HS forensic science compitition and an soccer tournament the same week). Plus my Corprate CC number was stolen while I was there. With it's persistant threat of significant tornados I really don't see the draw, and I also don't undestand the number of moble homes... they have more then a retirment area in FLA.

Missa

the mobile homes attract the tornadoes. hot muggy and flat describe my life surroundings so far.

There's a Hooters in Jax? Who knew???? :rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of Jax, either. It's OK for now. But we have our sights set elsewhere.

The more I threads like this one, the more I think I'm where I need to be.

The more I threads like this one, the more I think I'm where I need to be.
Me too. Although I would take where you are. :yes:

This thread cracks me up each time I read it. Who knew that there were so many opposing opinions about different places. :dunno:

As for me, Florida=no, Kansas=no, Tennessee=no, Houston=no, no, no, Portland=probably.

Whatever you do, stay out of North Carolina. It's horrible there. You really don't want to move to this awful place.

Me too. Although I would take where you are. :yes:

This thread cracks me up each time I read it. Who knew that there were so many opposing opinions about different places. :dunno:

As for me, Florida=no, Kansas=no, Tennessee=no, Houston=no, no, no, Portland=probably.

Was in Denver on a layover on Wenesday... Hot and muggy too! It was opressive just walking down the jetway. Ugh. Thought about giving you a ring but was only there for 3.5 hrs (2.5 hrs longer then expected, I was flying United on Wenesday).

Everyone I know likes Columbus, Ohio. I know, no mountains, no ocean, crappy weather. But folks still like it. Cheap, easy living. One of the largest Universities in the country. You can be in the city or out in the country. Lots of airports, grass and 'crete. If you really want mountains they're not too far off, and while Lake Erie is no ocean, it sure looks like one. We get little snow and few tornadoes. The winters are butt cold, but that's what coats are for (easier to warm up by putting something on than cool down by taking something off). I was surprized I liked it so much, coming from San Diego. But if I never go back to SoCal it will be too soon.

Considering I'm 1hr west of CMH, I'm not sure what people like. It's probably the "most tolerable" American city.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Just in case you were considering it Atlanta sucks. Ok for a single person it's not so bad. Lots of young people and lots of night life. But that's about it. There's over 5 million people here and they're all on the highways at the same time. Plus for some reason they want to live on top of each other. I hate crowds.

Was in Denver on a layover on Wenesday... Hot and muggy too! It was opressive just walking down the jetway. Ugh. Thought about giving you a ring but was only there for 3.5 hrs (2.5 hrs longer then expected, I was flying United on Wenesday).

Humidity in Denver? Hmmm, that's very rare. Its high plains dessert and typically VERY dry. Guess an afternoon T-storm rolled through and there must of been moisture leftover.

eh what fun is life without marked changes in season? and ill take a blizzard or the errant tornado over a hurricane any day

eh what fun is life without marked changes in season? and ill take a blizzard or the errant tornado over a hurricane any day

Hurricaines are warm, no worries. I grew up with 4 seasons, I had enough of them, I'll deal with 2, Ausping and Summer. Y'all can have my share of winter...consider it a gift.

I haven't checked-in much, lately, because I'm only getting Internet at my Topsham house until I get connected at the new house in Georgetown. The computer stuff will be the last stuff to get relocated, and I'm paid-up with Comcast for another month and a half.

BUT: If you buy a plane, don't move to Maine. I love Maine but I, also, have great respect for our part-time residents. From today's Portland Press Herald(Kennebec Journal sister paper):
http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/4024146.html#begin

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

HR

Whatever you do, stay out of North Carolina. It's horrible there. You really don't want to move to this awful place.

You would really hate it here, nothing but a bunch of one toothed hillbillies
that cant use the kings English properly.

Beautiful mountains on the west end of the state, ocean/beach on the east , with some of the most beautiful gentle rolling hills and flat farm land between.

NAW...........you would not like it here!

BTW, NC is home to only a couple of airports, ........

.... 74 publicly-owned airports and nearly 300 privately-owned airports. Nine airports have regularly scheduled airline service; four are international.

There are more than 7,000 registered aircraft based in the state and 15,000 licensed pilots.

Nick... Yer gonna have to find your own place, really! I mean, looking through some of the stuff here, I disagree with a lot of folks (I dislike Houston, I like Lexington, KY somewhat, I think Columbus is about as boring a place as I've been to...).

F'rinstance, I could tell ya how great Madison is. We've got lakes, we've got a thriving GA community, a full 1/4th of the population is college students, etc... I love it, but you may well hate it.

I've traveled the US a LOT, and not only as a driver. I'd say that some of the places I've thought would be really good places to live were the Raleigh/Durham area in NC, and Portland, OR. You might also like Spokane, WA. A lot of other places come to mind as places I've liked but didn't necessarily want to live there.

I think your best option is... a ROAD TRIP!!! :D Put your stuff in storage, throw the essentials in your pickup (don't forget Piper), and hit the road. Head west to SoCal, work your way up the coast to Seattle, head east on I-90 to Billings and then I-94 to MSP, come down this way and visit me, head over to IA to see Tony, take I-35 south to Texas (be sure to detour down US 71 and go see Diana and Chip), visit the fine folks in Dallas and then Houston, head up toward Steve, work your way over to AL and up I-65, take 94 again up into Michigan, 75 back down to 90, work your way up towards the northeast, and then take I-95 south to Florida. By then you'll have seen a lotta places and have a good idea where you want to go. Take your time, the more you're stopped the better idea you'll have about all these different places.

Oh, and take lots of pictures. :yes:

Nick... Yer gonna have to find your own place, really! I mean, looking through some of the stuff here, I disagree with a lot of folks (I dislike Houston, I like Lexington, KY somewhat, I think Columbus is about as boring a place as I've been to...).

F'rinstance, I could tell ya how great Madison is. We've got lakes, we've got a thriving GA community, a full 1/4th of the population is college students, etc... I love it, but you may well hate it.

I've traveled the US a LOT, and not only as a driver. I'd say that some of the places I've thought would be really good places to live were the Raleigh/Durham area in NC, and Portland, OR. You might also like Spokane, WA. A lot of other places come to mind as places I've liked but didn't necessarily want to live there.

I think your best option is... a ROAD TRIP!!! :D Put your stuff in storage, throw the essentials in your pickup (don't forget Piper), and hit the road. Head west to SoCal, work your way up the coast to Seattle, head east on I-90 to Billings and then I-94 to MSP, come down this way and visit me, head over to IA to see Tony, take I-35 south to Texas (be sure to detour down US 71 and go see Diana and Chip), visit the fine folks in Dallas and then Houston, head up toward Steve, work your way over to AL and up I-65, take 94 again up into Michigan, 75 back down to 90, work your way up towards the northeast, and then take I-95 south to Florida. By then you'll have seen a lotta places and have a good idea where you want to go. Take your time, the more you're stopped the better idea you'll have about all these different places.

Oh, and take lots of pictures. :yes:

Amen!

As I read this that is what I was thinking. You have to find IT for yourself. For instance I do not like the city. No Matter where it is.

Stop here at my place ( 1 hour North Of KC, MO)and spend a couple of days. We can shot stuff off the deck, Ride horses, Four wheel,play with the dogs, Go fishing. I will even let you use my 172 to do a little mid west traveling and visiting if you wish.

Did I mention I have a 28 yr old Training assistant looking for a Good man. I would say 5'6" 115lbs Long blond hair, CUTE;) . College ed. Hard worker, Loves the dogs and enjoys flying. A VERY Nice girl!!!!!!!

Jon

You would really hate it here, nothing but a bunch of one toothed hillbillies
that cant use the kings English properly.

Beautiful mountains on the west end of the state, ocean/beach on the east , with some of the most beautiful gentle rolling hills and flat farm land between.

NAW...........you would not like it here!

BTW, NC is home to only a couple of airports, ........

.... 74 publicly-owned airports and nearly 300 privately-owned airports. Nine airports have regularly scheduled airline service; four are international.

There are more than 7,000 registered aircraft based in the state and 15,000 licensed pilots.
Hush!!! It's terrible here. Thunderstorms and hurricanes in the summer humid cold in the winter, lousy hills we call mountains, TOO MANY YANKEES and halfbacks!!! Terrible place.

Hush!!! It's terrible here. Thunderstorms and hurricanes in the summer humid cold in the winter, lousy hills we call mountains, TOO MANY YANKEES and halfbacks!!! Terrible place.

I take it you don't want me coming to North Carolina, or you don't want anyone coming to North Carolina? Trying to figure out how to read that one.

I take it you don't want me coming to North Carolina, or you don't want anyone coming to North Carolina? Trying to figure out how to read that one.

I assure you Nick, Mark, nor I are not talking about you specifically.
Just kidding around about the influx of "Yankees" over the past 15+ years.
The RDU area has has a housing "boom" that is almost unparalleled in the US.
Thus, our sleepy little towns have now become a traffic night mare!

You are a Pilot, that puts us in the same fraternity, I would not only welcome you to NC, but have room if you need a temp place to stay.
Regards, KD

Kinda, well actually, exactly like I feel moving from Denver, CO to Lexington, KY. Just substitute race horses for musicians. (I guess it kinda cool having, Sea Biscuit, Man O' War and Barbaro as neighbors, though.) :rolleyes:

Clearly you're not hanging out at Maker's Mark...

I assure you Nick, Mark, nor I are not talking about you specifically.
Just kidding around about the influx of "Yankees" over the past 15+ years.
The RDU area has has a housing "boom" that is almost unparalleled in the US.
Thus, our sleepy little towns have now become a traffic night mare!

You are a Pilot, that puts us in the same fraternity, I would not only welcome you to NC, but have room if you need a temp place to stay.
Regards, KD

Heh, fwiw, I don't like the Yankees either.

Go Red Sox :D :D

Hmmm... I've lived in DC, NYC 'burbs (worked in the city), Norfolk, SW Virginia, Cincinnati, and San Antonio. I've traveled to 49 of the 50, and visited probably every city of size, and many, many smaller cities.

I'm in the process of moving back to the DC area. The big city, the culture, family nearby, and a city that's built on networked people (as opposed to 'who you grew up with') are all drivers in the decision.

Each place has had it's own unique qualities. Well, OK, there are some places that you couldn't pay me to live in. High on my list? Boston, NY, DC, RDU, Charleston, Chicago, Louisville, Seattle, Portland, the Bay Area, and a few small towns. Low on my list? Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Wichita, Akron, much of the Kansas City area (most of Kansas City is nice to visit, migt be tough to live there), Topuka, OKC, Yuma, McAllen, Pensacola. Some of my favorites are overseas, though being an ex-pat presents its own set of problems.

Climate, seasons, variety of scenery, water/hills/mountains nearby, cultural events, things to do, a nightlife, etc are important to me. I have a place in the mountains when I want to get away.

But what's right for me ain't so for everybody. Traveling and exploring is a good thing... :yes:

Everyone I know likes Columbus, Ohio.

Columbus is OK. Not super, not a dump. OK. The university and large employers based there bring a certain level of cultural diversity (and some good restaurants) that you really don't find in many places. I've got some good friends there, and I pursued a job op there one time - it would have been OK. But then again, at some point it's time to move on....

(cues the Association to sing....)

Heh, fwiw, I don't like the Yankees either.

Go Red Sox :D :D

I prefer white socks, even when wearing shorts.
Is there a team that goes by the name of white socks?
Then again, I go barefoot 75% of the time, is there a team that goes by the name of barefoot?? I'll root for them!

I prefer white socks, even when wearing shorts.
Is there a team that goes by the name of white socks?
Then again, I go barefoot 75% of the time, is there a team that goes by the name of barefoot?? I'll root for them!

That would be the Black Sox scandal. "Shoeless Joe".

I think your best option is... a ROAD TRIP!!! :D Put your stuff in storage, throw the essentials in your pickup (don't forget Piper), and hit the road. Head west to SoCal, work your way up the coast to Seattle, head east on I-90 to Billings and then I-94 to MSP, come down this way and visit me, head over to IA to see Tony, take I-35 south to Texas (be sure to detour down US 71 and go see Diana and Chip), visit the fine folks in Dallas and then Houston, head up toward Steve, work your way over to AL and up I-65, take 94 again up into Michigan, 75 back down to 90, work your way up towards the northeast, and then take I-95 south to Florida. By then you'll have seen a lotta places and have a good idea where you want to go. Take your time, the more you're stopped the better idea you'll have about all these different places.....

... sounds good, but start off in Vegas, Nick. It's just a few miles up the road and worth a look. Fast growing city, lots of work, several options for school, young people, good flying, etc. Come on up and I'll you give you the tour - Dan

Second choice? Well Marcus Hook of course. :)

:rofl:

It's either there, or Bayonne, NJ. Both are nice.

San Diego - Pros: perfect climate Cons: California
Seattle - Pros: quality food & beverage Cons: slow drivers, traffic
Columbus - Pros: cheap, lots of hot college girls Cons: Ohio (ugh, the accent)
Florida - Pros: no income tax Cons: too many to list, felons or otherwise
Austin - Pros: lots of jobs, night life Cons: Texas (but Austin is faux-Texas)
Madison - Pros: beer, brats, babes Cons: ice, ice, ice
Phoenix - Pros: ? Cons: is there a downtown nightlife????
Portland, OR - see Seattle

If it were me, I'd go to Burlington VT or Portland ME. I like the cold. I can coexist with granola-eating liberals. I don't like traffic. I'm 41, so nightlife is irrelevant -- I'd fall asleep anyway.

Was in Denver on a layover on Wenesday... Hot and muggy too! It was opressive just walking down the jetway. Ugh.
Muggy is not a word I would use to describe Denver. Hot like a blast furnace (a "dry" heat) at times.... like this past week. You sure it wasn't humidity coming off the mass of other folks in the jetway? :vomit:

Muggy was South Carolina today. I forget what it's like flying through what looks like the inside of a milk bottle and it's supposedly VFR. I think I figured out why there as many accidents in the eastern mountains than the western according to that other thread. Ours may be bigger but at least we can see them...

I think I figured out why there as many accidents in the eastern mountains than the western according to that other thread. Ours may be bigger but at least we can see them...
They're not called the "Smokies" for nuttin'! :)

Back