Thumb in the air, looking for a new place

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Michael and I have decided it is time to separate our bond as employer/employee. This was a mutual decision and not one in which either I screwed up or Michael screwed up. Purely mutual decision.

So now, I do not want to go back to Albuquerque. Anyone got a good idea? Cost of living is important, as well as locations to work (and a strong preference towards a plethora of people my age, in their mid 20s).

I'll take any suggestions possible. And once again, this is not a bad thing by either me or Michael's POV.

Ever thought of joining the ranks of us mid-to-late twenty-somethings that are going BACK to school to finish the degree we gave up on a while back? Come'on.. All the COOL kids are doing it. :D

Ever thought of joining the ranks of us mid-to-late twenty-somethings that are going BACK to school to finish the degree we gave up on a while back? Come'on.. All the COOL kids are doing it. :D

Indeed I have. Iowa gets pretty cold, no?

Lincoln: good downtown bar scene, 13,000 ft runway with cheap rentals on base, country airports with grass strips very near by, relatively cheap cost of living, great college sports, great university and good cheap community college near by if education is of importance, and most importantly: Tomme Lee goes to College (or whatever the hell it was called) was filmed here.. AWWWEESSOMMME

Lincoln: good downtown bar scene, 13,000 ft runway with cheap rentals on base, country airports with grass strips very near by, relatively cheap cost of living, great college sports, great university and good cheap community college near by if education is of importance, and most importantly: Tomme Lee goes to College (or whatever the hell it was called) was filmed here.. AWWWEESSOMMME

Are these cheap rentals allowed to land on these grass strips? If not, do these grass strips near by rent airplanes?

Every thought of joining the military? Travel to exotic places, meet new and interesting people, and shoot them ;)

Seriously though, ever thought of it? Try a reserve gig, go away to school for a while get some dough for college and be back in the world in six months.

Every thought of joining the military? Travel to exotic places, meet new and interesting people, and shoot them ;)

Seriously though, ever thought of it? Try a reserve gig, go away to school for a while get some dough for college and be back in the world in six months.

In fact I have, many times over. I'm not in good enough shape to do that right now, and I need someplace to be fairly soon.

Consider Portland! Lots of jobs for people like you out here, too. Seasons change enough to let you know there are four, with a long a glorious spring and three months of dry. Check out the portland craigslist. Tons of people your age (Alas, I'm twice that range, but it would be fun to hang out once in a while.) Every environment you want to experience (except artic and extreme desert) within a two hour drive. The city has pockets of forest where you would be hard pressed to remember you are even in a city, and the downtown area is one of the least intimidating I have ever experienced. (And I HATE cities...I prefer to live two hundred miles from civilization, but I am tolerating Portland. that says a lot!) Tons of airports. Gorgeous scenery. Good nightlife.

Good luck!

Consider Portland! Lots of jobs for people like you out here, too. Seasons change enough to let you know there are four, with a long a glorious spring and three months of dry. Check out the portland craigslist. Tons of people your age (Alas, I'm twice that range, but it would be fun to hang out once in a while.) Every environment you want to experience (except artic and extreme desert) within a two hour drive. The city has pockets of forest where you would be hard pressed to remember you are even in a city, and the downtown area is one of the least intimidating I have ever experienced. (And I HATE cities...I prefer to live two hundred miles from civilization, but I am tolerating Portland. that says a lot!) Tons of airports. Gorgeous scenery. Good nightlife.

Good luck!

I was about to suggest that him as well. Portland is great. I love visiting there. You can also consider everything going north from there as well. Lots of jobs too.

Nick, come to the greater Nashville area. Cost of living is very reasonable, jobs are plentiful, crime is relatively low and there is a very dynamic downtown area with more bars and honky tonks you could shake a stick at.

There's also an area around Vanderbilt called Hillsboro Village that is full of rich 20 somethings hanging out at numerous night clubs.

There's also a plethora of post secondary education options.

Oh, and did I mention the scene downtown is your age? If I was about 15 years younger and single, I'd be downtown right now!

One nice thing about Nashville is you can be anywhere in the continental U.S. commercially in about 3 hours along with numerous GA airports with great folks!

We have 4 distinct seasons with a "mild" winter (although anything below about 60 is too cold for my liking). The only wx downside is summer can be pretty oppressive with low to mid 90's with dew points in the mid 60's :hairraise:

Keep it in mind and I wish you well with your decision.

Hmmm...

... it got you out of ABQ, andthat was a good thing for you.

And, the truck's painted!

Opportunities abound. You're a rock star.

If you're still not sure when it's time to be gone from there, you can always hang here for awhile and see if you like it. Phoenix has pretty decent night life. And lots of college folk.

If you're still not sure when it's time to be gone from there, you can always hang here for awhile and see if you like it. Phoenix has pretty decent night life. And lots of college folk.

...and the prettiest 182 now flying...

That's right, compliment her airplane................. girls like that ya know. :)

There are other things I could admire as well, but I wish to avoid that sharp, stinging slap on the face when next we meet! :hairraise:

Nick, It really was great working with you. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Cough .. cough. Choke .. choke. I've lived in Lincoln my whole life. The
day after I hit retirement age I'll be a Floriduh resident. Temperature
ranges from -15 to +110. Snow. Crappy weather the first 5 months of
the year. High taxes. Drivers are terrible. Miami drivers are a lot nicer
to be around. Roads suck.

However .. the airport I'm based at, Crete, has a grass strip and you
can land their rental planes on it if you want. It also has an active
EAA group and plenty of experimentals. And we're a pretty nice bunch
of guys.

RT

However .. the airport I'm based at, Crete, has a grass strip and you
can land their rental planes on it if you want. It also has an active
EAA group and plenty of experimentals. And we're a pretty nice bunch
of guys.
RT

I almost took a job near Crete a couple of years ago with Norter Ag Supply. Then I looked a map of the area and realized I would be about a half-day drive from ANYTHING and decided to stay here in central IA, where I'm only 1/4 day drive from anything. :D

Miami drivers are a lot nicer
to be around.
That's frightening. Those folks in S FL are some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Nick, Portland's full of tree hugging dirt worshippers, AKA "hippies".
You'd stand a much better chance of meeting your future ex-wife in San Diego. El Cajon, also know as "Hell Cajon", isn't too pricey by my cheap standards, and the wx sure is nice out there. Plus it's a conservative city...more up your alley.

Nick, Have you ever thought of moving to Missouri? Springfield sounds like the place you are looking for. Lots of jobs, lots of women, lots of night life and the weather is not to bad. Winter does have its draw backs in Jan/Feb but it doesn't last long.

Were I you, I'd decide what I want to do, then figure out where to live to do it.

go to ames nick, tons of college girls and you can fly with Chris and I. We'll get you checked out in gliders.

That's frightening. Those folks in S FL are some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Nick, Portland's full of tree hugging dirt worshippers, AKA "hippies".
You'd stand a much better chance of meeting your future ex-wife in San Diego. El Cajon, also know as "Hell Cajon", isn't too pricey by my cheap standards, and the wx sure is nice out there. Plus it's a conservative city...more up your alley.

Yeah, but in So FL we can open the window any time of year to yell at each other and not get freakin frostbite...:D I lived in San Diego for a few years, it would probably fit Nick nicely. Ocean Beach is still relatively cheap since you have the airliners taking off overhead all day which in my opinion beats the heck out of ElCajon any day. Besides, with Nicks views on illegals, living in El Cajon would have him prison bound shortly. OB is nice, you just get used to lip reading during the news. I'll be in San Diego in a bit over a week down in the Coronado Cays.

Come on down here to "Tehk-sus"! I moved to Houston right out of college four years ago, and as a man in his mid-20's, I love this city! Cost of living is VERY reasonable, especially considering we're the 4th-largest city in the country, depending on what part of town you're in, crime is pretty low, lot's of beautiful women (I found the love of my life here), and great nightlife. Not to mention a plethora of GA airports, large and small, and 2 class B airports, all within a 30 minute drive of downtown. The job market is also very good. PM me if you're interested in hearing more.

Nick,

I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you.

Seriously, I would consider Denver over Albuquerque. Its got better educational opportunities, not as hot in the summer, typically nice winter weather and great skiing nearby. Its also pretty big on GA.

Second choice? Well Marcus Hook of course. :)

Last edited:
Ken, what seemed to be the problem?
I liked my job, but I hated the city, hated commuting between Music Row and Brentwood, hated the people, hated downtown, hated the airports (well, Tune, BNA and Smyrna, anyway), hated the climate, hated the boating. Basically, I found no redeeming qualities at all in living there. My wife and I dropped one of the "L's" and we call it NashVILE. (I guess it was kinda cool having Peter Frampton, Alan Jackson and Dolly as neighbors, though.)

But hey, if you like it, great! Different strokes for different folks. We were fresh from living in Coconut Grove in Miami and Nashvile just was not our cup of tea.

I liked my job, but I hated the city, hated commuting between Music Row and Brentwood, hated the people, hated downtown, hated the airports (well, Tune, BNA and Smyrna, anyway), hated the climate, hated the boating. Basically, I found no redeeming qualities at all in living there. My wife and I dropped one of the "L's" and we call it NashVILE. (I guess it was kinda cool having Peter Frampton, Alan Jackson and Dolly as neighbors, though.)

Kinda, well actually, exactly like I feel moving from Denver, CO to Lexington, KY. Just substitute race horses for musicians. (I guess it kinda cool having, Sea Biscuit, Man O' War and Barbaro as neighbors, though.) :rolleyes:

May I recomend staying away from Kanasa. I just spent a few days in Wichita and you couln't pay me enought to live there. Yuck.

Last edited:
Kinda, well actually, exactly like I feel moving from Denver, CO to Lexington, KY. Just substitute race horses for musicians. (I guess it kinda cool having, Sea Biscuit, Man O' War and Barbaro as neighbors, though.) :rolleyes:

I have a deep dark fear that is what Ohio is going to be. Was back in Boston for the first time in a month (well, except for a weekend at Jessie's college reunion) and it was like my brain came alive again. There were HILLS and TREES and GREEN THINGS. Oh, and the food was much better.

At least I am up to my elbows in corndogs and Budweiser :rolleyes:

Cheers,

-Andrew
expat

Last edited:
I have a deep dark fear that is what Ohio is going to be. Was back in Boston for the first time in a month (well, except for a weekend at Jessie's college reunion) and it was like my brain came alive again. There were HILLS and TREES and GREEN THINGS. Oh, and the food was much better.

At least I am up to my elbows in corndogs and Budweiser :rolleyes:

Cheers,

-Andrew
expat

Ha! That's funny, although, unfortunately maybe true. Its difficult going from a major, metro area that you love to a more rural area in which your unfamiliar.

Back