Thumb in the air, looking for a new place

Austin - Pros: lots of jobs, night life Cons: Texas (but Austin is faux-Texas)

Heh... I usually describe Austin as "Texas for people who don't like Texas". It's the one truly "blue" city in the state. I do have to say, Austin has a great live and local music scene (I've never been, but I'm told that the Austin City Limits festival is a blast... my better half's been several times), and the job market is great up there. Plus, you're less than an hour from New Braunsfels, which is a place where hundreds of people flock each summer to go tubing on the river.

Heh... I usually describe Austin as "Texas for people who don't like Texas". It's the one truly "blue" city in the state. I do have to say, Austin has a great live and local music scene (I've never been, but I'm told that the Austin City Limits festival is a blast... my better half's been several times), and the job market is great up there. Plus, you're less than an hour from New Braunsfels, which is a place where hundreds of people flock each summer to go tubing on the river.

You forgot the most important thing about Austin, Chuy's. Elvis LIVES at Chuy's, plus some of the best hatch chiles east of New Mexico.

Yeah, but there are Chuy's almost anywhere in Texas... there's one down the street from my apartment here in Houston. But yes, Chuy's is definitely in the pro column. That and Rudy's BBQ. Unless you're a vegetarian... then you should stay the hell out of Texas :). j/k

Yeah, but there are Chuy's almost anywhere in Texas... there's one down the street from my apartment here in Houston. But yes, Chuy's is definitely in the pro column. That and Rudy's BBQ. Unless you're a vegetarian... then you should stay the hell out of Texas :). j/k
But the real Chuy's is in Austin and it is unlike the other located elsewhere around the state. I do like Austin though. Having lived in San Angelo and San Antonio I would rate Austin head and shoulders above both of those places!!! With all the trips I have made to the Dallas 'metroplex' I know to never move to that mess!

A big downside to Austin is lack of GA facilities.

Me too. Although I would take where you are. :yes:

This thread cracks me up each time I read it. Who knew that there were so many opposing opinions about different places. :dunno:

As for me, Florida=no, Kansas=no, Tennessee=no, Houston=no, no, no, Portland=probably.

I'm a 2 hour drive from down town Seattle, (or a 18 minute flight) on an island that has about every thing including a home depot, walmart, boat basen, airport, low crime, good schools, good water, medical facilities, clear air, mild temps year around, and last but not least, natural gas main at the curb. Last month our gas bill was $40, and our elect. was $18.

I have lived in SoCal 12 years hated it, I was raised in upstate NY, don't like the winters, the bugs, floods, and humidy.

Our daughter lived in Round Rock Tx. for a few years so we spent a couple vacations there and didn't like the heat, rude drivers. and flatness.

We loved the PNW the day we got here 33 years ago, The outdoor recreation is the best anywhere, boating in the San Juans and Vancouver Is. wide blue and in protected water, plus world class sking is only 50 miles away major ski resorts at every mountain crossing highway. Salmon and Halibut fishing is second to only to Alaska.

And the Flying is great, yes we do get some very poor icing weather in the winter, but mostly it is 2500' and VFR with vis at around 15 miles. but when it is clear it is really clear see for ever.

Today is going to be 80 plus degrees and I am now looking out my window and seeing Mt. Rainier, look at a map, that's a ways away.

But Please don't tell the Californians, we have enough of the them already. :)

Last edited:
I'm a 2 hour drive from down town Seattle
Yeah, I've actually been to Oak Harbor Airport... by car. One of my flying buddies had to show me where he used to fly. We had mussels at some little bar in town too. Yum. :yes:

I'm a 2 hour drive from down town Seattle, (or a 18 minute flight) on an island that has about every thing including a home depot, walmart, boat basen, airport, low crime, good schools, good water, medical facilities, clear air, mild temps year around, and last but not least, natural gas main at the curb. Last month our gas bill was $40, and our elect. was $18.

I have lived in SoCal 12 years hated it, I was raised in upstate NY, don't like the winters, the bugs, floods, and humidy.

Our daughter lived in Round Rock Tx. for a few years so we spent a couple vacations there and didn't like the heat, rude drivers. and flatness.

We loved the PNW the day we got here 33 years ago, The outdoor recreation is the best anywhere, boating in the San Juans and Vancouver Is. wide blue and in protected water, plus world class sking is only 50 miles away major ski resorts at every mountain crossing highway. Salmon and Halibut fishing is second to only to Alaska.

And the Flying is great, yes we do get some very poor icing weather in the winter, but mostly it is 2500' and VFR with vis at around 15 miles. but when it is clear it is really clear see for ever.

Today is going to be 80 plus degrees and I am now looking out my window and seeing Mt. Rainier, look at a map, that's a ways away.

But Please don't tell the Californians, we have enough of the them already. :)

Darn it, Tom. You're giving away the secrets of why we know we live in God's Country. :yes:

Darn it, Tom. You're giving away the secrets of why we know we live in God's Country. :yes:

This should fixem.

Puget Sound Weather Outlook
Updated Wednesday 5:20 am

The warm air over western Washington on Tuesday has moved east of the Cascades. Cooler Pacific air pushes in today, keeping high temperatures in the lower 70s instead of 80 plus degrees. We'll also see more clouds mixing with some sunshine.

A large area of low pressure spinning off the Washington coast is forecast to move closer to us Thursday. It will bring increasing clouds and periods of rain showers. Thursday's highs should only reach the upper 60s.

The low is set to move inland Friday, giving us more rain and cool temperatures for this time of year. Friday's readings will be in the middle 60s. The atmosphere will also be unstable enough for a few scattered thunderstorms to develop.

There is still a chance for a shower or two early Saturday, but the sun is going to break out during the afternoon. We'll warm back up to the 70 degree mark. Sunday features partly sunny skies and temperatures in the lower 70s.

All signs point toward dry and warmer weather early next week, including for the Fourth of July. Highs will reach mid 70s Monday, upper 70s Tuesday and maybe even 80 degrees by the Fourth.

Todd Johnson
KOMO 4 Weather

Nick, this is what I think. You should pursue developing the GoFlyAmerica brand. Think apparel, pilot shop, event hosting. Go on the road with T-shirts to various FBOs, etc.

You have the computer skills, promote the webpage and the paid advertisers will come to you. Regardless what you may think of Neil, his StudentPilot page can be your model. (He started small) This is the ideal opportunity to use your skills and it can be bootstrapped into success.

Nick, this is what I think. You should pursue developing the GoFlyAmerica brand. Think apparel, pilot shop, event hosting. Go on the road with T-shirts to various FBOs, etc.

You have the computer skills, promote the webpage and the paid advertisers will come to you. Regardless what you may think of Neil, his StudentPilot page can be your model. (He started small) This is the ideal opportunity to use your skills and it can be bootstrapped into success.

Great thing is, you can do this from anywhere, and at minimal expense.

And it kind of goes along with that road trip suggestion someone had...

Obviously you haven't been on the SDSU campus. Trust me, you'll need a chiro to set your head back on your neck after just one day on campus. The thong is the school uniform.

The place has changed quite a bit since I graduated. Might be time to go check out all the new buildings.

The place has changed quite a bit since I graduated. Might be time to go check out all the new buildings.
I'm talking of a different kind of architecture. :D

BTW: does anyone really graduate from SDSU? They worked so hard to get in.... ("San Diego State University, in the face of great adversity, I'm sending my application to yuuuuuoooo.")

This should fixem.

Updated Wednesday 5:20 am

The warm air over western Washington on Tuesday has moved east of the Cascades. Cooler Pacific air pushes in today, keeping high temperatures in the lower 70s instead of 80 plus degrees. We'll also see more clouds mixing with some sunshine.

A large area of low pressure spinning off the Washington coast is forecast to move closer to us Thursday. It will bring increasing clouds and periods of rain showers. Thursday's highs should only reach the upper 60s.

The low is set to move inland Friday, giving us more rain and cool temperatures for this time of year. Friday's readings will be in the middle 60s. The atmosphere will also be unstable enough for a few scattered thunderstorms to develop.

There is still a chance for a shower or two early Saturday, but the sun is going to break out during the afternoon. We'll warm back up to the 70 degree mark. Sunday features partly sunny skies and temperatures in the lower 70s.

All signs point toward dry and warmer weather early next week, including for the Fourth of July. Highs will reach mid 70s Monday, upper 70s Tuesday and maybe even 80 degrees by the Fourth.

Todd Johnson
KOMO 4 Weather

Having just gotten home from Hanoi where the heat index was well north of 100 every day and you were dripping if you spent any time outside, these numbers look absolutely wonderful to me.

This should fixem.

Updated Wednesday 5:20 am....

It's been fine south of the Sound too. :)

Speaking of San Diego, my sister lived for several years in San Diego on her sailboat; but having good weather all the time sort of got old, I guess.

I went to the SDSU campus, ostensibly to look at a used motorcycle I was interested in purchasing. I was on my old bike. I almost ran into a post.

I went to the SDSU campus, ostensibly to look at a used motorcycle I was interested in purchasing. I was on my old bike. I almost ran into a post.

My Dad did that once, waaaaay back, in his first year of college. He was driving thru a parking lot, looking at some nice ladies walking on the sidewalk, and crashed the car into a concrete light standard. Doh!

This was back in the days of no insurance, the car was a total, and he was a pedestrian until he saved enough for another car.

Heh... I usually describe Austin as "Texas for people who don't like Texas". It's the one truly "blue" city in the state.

Austin is basically Texas's Boulder, Colorado. :rolleyes:

Yep ! Texas is where I wanted to be this week, 19 inches of rain in 24 hours.

Boy I wish I had been there for that.. :)

Back