Thoughts on this one?

run fast and far

I'd be outrunning this guy

MV5BMTY3NTgwNTA4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQ0MDUxMDI@._V1_UY268_CR16,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I don't think it's worth it even if it was free.

The description tells you all that needs to be known. "No books" "No registration" "airplane has corrosion" etc. As Clark said, run away.

Pretty cool for a jungle gym on a play ground. Use to love playing on old firetrucks. This would be sweet for $0.

For what he is asking for the engine and propeller I would expect the rest of the airplane to be thrown in for free. For 6k I would laugh him off the airport.

Worth a look.

Who knows.

Funny, I could take my plane, get it dirty, paint a couple rust streaks by some cowl screws, say no logs and folks here would say run.
Could take that exact same 150, clean it up, buff the paint out, or do a quickie reshoot, get some shady AP to pencil whip the logs, panel mount a iPad, and folks would be falling all over themselves to buy it for WAAY more than 6k LMAO!

Point is, you don't know till you look, at that seems worth a look if it's semi local and you know the difference between a Phillips and a flathead.

It's not this plane you need to be scared of, it's the one with super fresh paint, a logbook with very brief entries, being sold be a AP type with a dirty shop, who says "he doesn't need to sell it".

Worth a look.

Who knows.

Funny, I could take my plane, get it dirty, paint a couple rust streaks by some cowl screws, say no logs and folks here would say run.
Could take that exact same 150, clean it up, buff the paint out, or do a quickie reshoot, get some shady AP to pencil whip the logs, panel mount a iPad, and folks would be falling all over themselves to buy it for WAAY more than 6k LMAO!

Point is, you don't know till you look, at that seems worth a look if it's semi local and you know the difference between a Phillips and a flathead.
Trust James to take a contrary view no matter how wrong it is.

Trust James to take a contrary view no matter how wrong it is.

Really, you looked at this aircraft?

If the guy was asking 20k firm, yeah forget that.

But 6k and he looks like he'll take offers, why not check it out.

Surface rust near some screw heads and on the door latch is quite a bit different that spar carry throughs falling apart. I didn't see where the ad described what was rusty.

An O-200 without logs is hardly an item for the dumpster. Maybe not worth $3k, but if you guys would think outside the certified aircraft box, you would realize an O-200 can be rebuilt pretty cheap, and used to power a lot of experimentals, perhaps the core for a formula 1 racer even. Aluminum cases don't rust.

Not much of a market in the experimental world for an 0-200. Most anything designed for an engine that small will be for a rotax with the exception of some older plans built designs. Formula 1 racers probably do not use anything other than the case so they are better off buying just a case.

Not much of a market in the experimental world for an 0-200. Most anything designed for an engine that small will be for a rotax with the exception of some older plans built designs. Formula 1 racers probably do not use anything other than the case so they are better off buying just a case.

I can't figure out if you are trolling or you really don't think there are many O-200 powered experimentals. You do know Van's isn't the only experimental kit producer, right?

I can't figure out if you are trolling or you really don't think there are many O-200 powered experimentals. You do know Van's isn't the only experimental kit producer, right?
It's trolling to have a different opinion than you?? I really know there aren't many new experimental aircraft designed around the 0-200. There may have been many designed back in the day but you are kidding your self if you think that is a relevant conversation today. >95% of active experimental aircraft designs with 100 hp in mind are Rotax 912 powered. Van's is not the only, but they are the biggest and if the plan is to buy an airplane to part out to experimental guys you would be smart to tailor your selection to Vans models.

Look man, it's not an opinion, it is fact. Speaking of facts, >95% really? What about Jabiru, Corvair, O-200, Subaru, Mazda, Turbo VW. They are all less than 5% of the engines put on experimentals in that HP range? You truly have a warped view on experimentals. I'm convinced you just don't know what you don't know. I'll bring you up to speed on experimental airplanes that are still being built with O-200s in them: SPA Panther, Zenith 601/650, Zenith 701/750, a lot of the cub clones, Barrows Bearhawk LSA, Breezy, Pietenpol, Cassutt, Midget Mustang, Q200, VariEZE, Kitfox S7, even a Sonex has flown with an O-200. Just because you can't put it in a Van's airplane doesn't mean it has no use, or "isn't even worth it if it was free." A lot of homebuilders find engines just like this for dirt cheap, complete the overhaul themselves to save a ton of money, and happily fly behind them another 2000 hours. There's more than one path to flying, and some don't involve buying a shiny new $25,000 engine and paying a mechanic to install it.

Look man, it's not an opinion, it is fact. Speaking of facts, >95% really? What about Jabiru, Corvair, O-200, Subaru, Mazda, Turbo VW. They are all less than 5% of the engines put on experimentals in that HP range? You truly have a warped view on experimentals. I'm convinced you just don't know what you don't know. I'll bring you up to speed on experimental airplanes that are still being built with O-200s in them: SPA Panther, Zenith 601/650, Zenith 701/750, a lot of the cub clones, Barrows Bearhawk LSA, Breezy, Pietenpol, Cassutt, Midget Mustang, Q200, VariEZE, Kitfox S7, even a Sonex has flown with an O-200. Just because you can't put it in a Van's airplane doesn't mean it has no use, or "isn't even worth it if it was free." A lot of homebuilders find engines just like this for dirt cheap, complete the overhaul themselves to save a ton of money, and happily fly behind them another 2000 hours. There's more than one path to flying, and some don't involve buying a shiny new $25,000 engine and paying a mechanic to install it.

Actually it is not fact mr delusional. I said MOST, do a quick search on batnstormers for the airplanes you mentioned and tell me what their engines are. I'll save you the time, 0-200 is not the majority. So let me correct you on a few more things. The Panther was designed around a Corvair engine. Yes there are many built with Lycoming engines, and maybe 1 or 2 are in progress with an o-200. A quick search of their completions show 0 continental powered ones. Majority of the zenith aircraft are built with the Rotax and their specs are for Rotax engines. There are more Subaru powered zenith aircraft than o-200 ones. The bear hawk was designed around a modified c-85. Yes an o-200 is a popular alternative so this is the only one I'll give you credit for. The sonex was designed around a vw engine. The rest of your list I don't consider relevant experimental because there might be one or two completed a year if that. I never said "isn't worth it if it was free" so I have no idea why you have that in quotes unless you don't understand what those mean. Furthermore, I'm not advocating buying a new Rotax, i said "not much of a market in the experimental world for an o-200" (see that is how quotes work) and that is a FACT. That's not saying there is NO market as you are implying, just very little when it comes to modern designs.

I better strap on my fishing waders cuz it be gettin deep in here......

Just for the record, th O-200 is a very popular engine for experimental aircraft. Out of the hundreds of plans and kit built planes, most were built around hundred horse and smaller. Even knight twisters, a few of the Stolp designs and some Pitts were using four banger conti's in them. To say those engine were never used or not used now is just rubbish. Anyone with any sense would rather have a continental over a rotax.

When is the last time you saw an o-200 knight twister, Pitts, or stolp completed? For that matter when is the last time you saw a newly completed knight twister period. The only new Stolps I see are Starduster Too and the majority of new Pitts are s1ss models and you aren't going to see any of those with o-200s.

When is the last time you saw an o-200 knight twister, Pitts, or stolp completed? For that matter when is the last time you saw a newly completed knight twister period. The only new Stolps I see are Starduster Too and the majority of new Pitts are s1ss models and you aren't going to see any of those with o-200s.
The Varieze, crowd loves them and always has some one looking for one, core is about $5500.

AS for the aircraft, it isn't worth scrap if it is corroded. most re-cycle yards won't even take dirty aluminum.

I'm done arguing that there's "Not much of a market in the experimental world for an 0-200." Maybe not in your experimental world, but the experimental world I know has tons of use for them. Did I use quotes right that time by the way? You know there are other people in this forum that I might have been quoting?

Not many Varieze's being built anymore either. Most build the long eze now and are using o-320 engines.

A quick search of Barnstormers reveals about 6 o-200 powered experimental airplanes for sale. I'm not going to count how many experimental airplanes are for sale because there are about 900 ads in the experimental section. Like I said, not a large market for o-200 engines in the experimental world.

Back