This note is legal tender...

Did you use counter checks.?? I remember as a kid the local grocery store had checks with the bank name printed on it, but without account numbers. They just went by the name of the writer. College students would put their parents name on the check but before they were allowed to do that the owner of the grocery store had to have verbal approval from the parents.

Growing up in a small town was great.!!
I didn't use counter checks where I lived. My roommate came from a town where everyone knew everyone and they did have those checks. I didn't have a debit card until many years later. I'd go to the drive through teller to deposit paychecks and get cash-back to last me until the next time.

In high school it was simple - I didn't have money. One of the jobs I had payed cash every week, the other paid by check and I'd stop by the bank on the way home to cash it.

Depends on how you define a cashless store. If I come in to your store and buy a couple of beers and pay you with a loaf of bread I baked, then the tax man is cut out of the loop.

Find me a store that will barter beer for bread in Philadelphia :rolleyes:

...for all debts. Public and private.

That phrase is on all of our paper currency. I also *thought* it was the law that businesses have to accept it...

...so why does Philadelphia have to pass a law outlawing "cashless stores"?

I also thought the sign that many convenience store have posted over the years stating; "$100 bills not accepted" was also tachnically illegal...but maybe not.

Okay, legal beagles, what say you?

I see signs saying that $20 bills are the maximum they will take. Probably to minimize their exposure if the bill winds up being counterfeit.

I see signs saying that $20 bills are the maximum they will take. Probably to minimize their exposure if the bill winds up being counterfeit.

However, counterfeit 20s are apparently much more common than counterfeit 100s.

Also to reduce exposure in case of theft, less change and smaller bills on-hand.

Back