This is why we need a "Court of Common Sense" before lawsuits are allowed...

In 1985 I bought a wrecked 1983 GMC 2500 pickup. I took about 6 months t repair it, then I traded it in for a new car.

In 1995 I got a letter asking If I had at one time owned a 1983 GMC pickup VIN 123456789.....

I checked the reply and sent it back. A month later I get another letter with a check for $100.00. The letter explained that this was a payment from a class action lawsuit because at that time the fuel tanks were mounted outside the frame rails of the truck. With the fuel tanks located in that position there was danger from fire in a side collision...blah blah blah etc....

I took the check to the bank and was happy for the extra hundred bucks.....

Hey, maybe I will sue because that one inch PVC pipe I bought is only .864 inches.

Ketchup bottle said 24 oz.
but I measured it for a recipe and it's only 20 oz.

Guess they thought the weight of the ketchup is most important information.

and I'll wager that includes the bottle.

Ketchup bottle said 24 oz.
but I measured it for a recipe and it's only 20 oz.

Guess they thought the weight of the ketchup is most important information.

and I'll wager that includes the bottle.

Fluid oz or weigh oz?

Tim

Old growth lumber becomes more and more rare, I expect.
No doubt about that, but if I'm looking at it from Lowes/HD's perspective, I'm paying for a lot of product that goes un-purchased or sold at a deep discount due to lack of material quality. If you sell me a bunch of forgings with high porosity when my spec calls for a higher spec, I'm sending the crap back to you at your cost. I'd think the big box lumber stores would do the same.

No doubt about that, but if I'm looking at it from Lowes/HD's perspective, I'm paying for a lot of product that goes un-purchased or sold at a deep discount due to lack of material quality. If you sell me a bunch of forgings with high porosity when my spec calls for a higher spec, I'm sending the crap back to you at your cost. I'd think the big box lumber stores would do the same.

It gets purchased. They have plenty of buyers who don't bother looking for decent quality lumber or even are young enough they've never seen it.

Fluid oz or weigh oz?
That's what you get when you use outdated and useless units.
How much does a gallon of water weigh? A pound? Or how many ounces do 8 ounces weigh? 8? Nope. ;)
How do you easily convert fpm to mph? With a calculator. :D
We should get back to trading in goats ...

"A pint's a pound the world around."

Only in the UK ... a pint is $3.25 during Happy Hour at the Bulldog Pub in Denver.
but a pint is 1/8 of a gallon and a gallon is 8.33 pounds therefore a pint is about a pound.

but a pint is 1/8 of a gallon and a gallon is 8.33 pounds therefore a pint is about a pound.
But the Bulldog won't take a £ pound for payment, nor a Euro ... they demand $ US Dollars.

Man, I hate it when I have to explain a pun ...

Like the blind guy that sets down in a bar and says "I have great blonde joke. Wanna hear it?"

The bartender says "I'm blonde ... the gal sitting on your right is a blonde arm wrestling champ ... and the gal on the end of the bar is a blonde biker ... are you sure you want to tell that joke?"

The guys ponders that a second and says "Well, I guess not. Not if I'm going to have to explain it three times."

But the Bulldog won't take a £ pound for payment, nor a Euro ... they demand $ US Dollars.

Man, I hate it when I have to explain a pun ...

Like the blind guy that sets down in a bar and says "I have great blonde joke. Wanna hear it?"

The bartender says "I'm blonde ... the gal sitting on your right is a blonde arm wrestling champ ... and the gal on the end of the bar is a blonde biker ... are you sure you want to tell that joke?"

The guys ponders that a second and says "Well, I guess not. Not if I'm going to have to explain it three times."
But I just splayned a pint iz a pound...

That darn metric system.
it's not metric, it's due to "planing"

they rough saw them to 2x4", then plane all four sides, resulting in a finish board at 1.5x3.5". that's how my sawmill family workers explained it to me. I never worked on the saw side though, only in the paper side, so I didn't observe it directly

I swear, it's more like finding a needle in a haystack to grab a few 12' or 16' boards. Everything has knotholes in the edges/all the way through, is warped/bowed, or has a shaved edge. I think we were about 50/50 on what we pulled off the rack versus what made it on the cart.
i'm taking a 150' doug fir down this summer, let me know if you want to buy it for saw. Warning, to get more than a 40' chunk out at a time, you might need a chopper

it's not metric, it's due to "planing"

they rough saw them to 2x4", then plane all four sides, resulting in a finish board at 1.5x3.5". that's how my sawmill family workers explained it to me. I never worked on the saw side though, only in the paper side, so I didn't observe it directly
I know how it works, and that's it. Shave off 1/4" on all surfaces and you come with a 1.5 x 3.5 2x4 and they still need to be clubbed.

Last edited:
i'm taking a 150' doug fir down this summer, let me know if you want to buy it for saw. Warning, to get more than a 40' chunk out at a time, you might need a chopper

Oh man... I hate to see that.... I hope it is dead.

That's true of normal boards:

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/miscpub_6409.pdf

2x4's are 1.5x3.5 because they are specifically cut that way. Dimensional lumber never sees a planer.

Direct quote from the history lesson you posted:

"Rough lumber has the disadvantage of varying in thickness and width. Therefore, before the advent of mill surfacing, boards were planed by hand or in local planing mills when a uniform thickness or a finished surface was needed."

Today you are correct that they never see a planer due to better technology...but back in the day they certainly did at the mill to bring rough cuts to a uniform size and to save shipping weight and volume vs cutting them on the job site to fit which was the norm.

...but back to my original post...I guess these days it is just easier to sue than get educated.

There's a difference between dimensional construction lumber (2x4's and the like) and boards. Even in the day they didn't plane 2x4's.

I guess I'm a little late with this, but it seems appropriate in view of the thread title.

Frivolous Lawsuits.jpg

Back