This is why we need a "Court of Common Sense" before lawsuits are allowed...

Illinois.... not surprising.

I would rather see limits on how much the plaintiff can receive, maybe cap the limit at 5 bucks. When people like this find out they won't become independently wealthy on stupid lawsuits than it will stop.

I'm going to sue because 10-penny nails cost more than 10 cents per hundred.

The last pound cake I bought didn't weigh a pound.

The last pony keg I bought didn't include a pony.

Class-action.... Something tells me that this law firm that filed both suits had something to do with these suits being brought forward. They're the only ones that stand to gain anything, since the "class" usually gets some crumbs out of the deal. While they can't file a class action by themselves and need a group of stupid people, but they are pretty easy to find. Give them $1.25 for each piece of wood they bought and you have a class.

I shouldn't really talk crap about stupid people in class action suits since I received $11.50 in my Paypal acct last week for the McAfee class action. But that literally took no effort. They sent me an email about 2-3 months ago and asked if I want to be included in it, click YES or NO. There was no form to fill out, nothing to send, etc. Literally clicking a button.

My other favorite one was the Starbuck lawsuit calming that you did not get 24oz of liquid out of an "iced" drink in a 24oz cup cuz it had ice in it...luckily I think that one got thrown out.

I shouldn't really talk crap about stupid people in class action suits since I received $11.50 in my Paypal acct last week for the McAfee class action. But that literally took no effort. They sent me an email about 2-3 months ago and asked if I want to be included in it, click YES or NO. There was no form to fill out, nothing to send, etc. Literally clicking a button.

Not blaming you now would I have declined it...but all that "easy as clicking a button" class action lawsuit did is make layers millions and jack up the cost of doing business which cost everyone more in the price of goods and services.

ignorance of industry standards does not create a cause of action. . . . who cares what a survey of customers says.

What the real issue should be is that 90% of the damn boards are warped - or have shaved edges that aren't square. That's the damn lawsuit!

ignorance of industry standards does not create a cause of action. . . . who cares what a survey of customers says.

What the real issue should be is that 90% of the damn boards are warped - or have shaved edges that aren't square. That's the damn lawsuit!

If this makes it through, I'm going to start taking speed limits in canada as meaning miles per hour, and sue when I get a ticket, saying they should have specified kilometers per hour.

Attorneys like this clown should be put against a wall.

I lost $4,800 in a fraudulent stock.. the class action lawsuit paid me $0.02 which I received in check form.
I promptly presented it to my bank in which they smiled and I said at least I didn't lose it all.
The attorneys made Millions...

When I was a kid my dad was a lumber millwright. The old two-by-four was the lumber in its rough condition, immediately after the log was sliced into boards. It then went through the planer and was planed down to 1-5/8" x 3-5/8". That dimension was changed in the '60s to the 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" we see now. All the other sizes were also the rough-cut dimensions. The stuff now is usually cut smaller than 2x4 or whatever, to reduce the wastage, which is why you often see saw marks on some of it; there wasn't enough left to make sure the planer took all the roughness off. And the "shaved" corners? Those are the sticks made by splitting a skinny log down the middle and planing the two pieces. The rounded edges are the surfaces that were immediately under the bark of the tree.

You 'Muricans think you have terrible lumber? Here in Canada, where so much of it is cut, the best is exported to you and Japan. Us Canucks get the leftovers. My Granddad was a lumber grader, and the stuff we're sold now as "Construction Grade #2 & better" was sent to the burner in Granddad's day. A lot of lumber was totally clear of knots.

Last edited:
If you want to sue, they label the effing 3/8 inch plywood as 11/32 inches instead of the nominal size. Pain in the rear to have to add that stupid 32nd then factor down to make sure you are getting what you want.

Neither of my feet is a foot.
An acquaintance discovered a malignancy on his foot. A surgeon promptly removed approximately half of one of his feet in order to treat the malignancy. The guy now has a foot and a half. I understand he is quite popular with the ladies.

As Turin described it, all three men in the lawsuits wanted the lumber for home-improvement projects, got home and measured the pieces, felt they had been deceived and then turned to the law firm.

Asked whether it was coincidence that three different men found the same sort of issue with lumber first at Menards and then at Home Depot, and then all decided to go to McGuire Law, Turin said he couldn’t comment.
Do the ethical rules not prohibit Illinois lawyers from lying to reporters? Cause that's a whopper.

An acquaintance discovered a malignancy on his foot. A surgeon promptly removed approximately half of one of his feet in order to treat the malignancy. The guy now has a foot and a half. I understand he is quite popular with the ladies.

I hope they removed the forward half.

Well not too long ago someone in UK I think filed a lawsuit or was going to because she won a lottery, lost her friends and peace of mind and some crap ...her logic is why did they lottery company let 17 yr old or 16 yr old buy the lottery ticket. Darwin would commit suicide ....if he was still alive

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I almost tore out the basement framing work in my old basement that the former owner never finished because that old lumber was just gorgeous compared to the crap you get today. Just wasn't quite that cheap. He did it wrong and didn't float it anyway, but the house never settled and it never caused any problems. But I wanted those boards for other projects, bad. LOL.

"all three men in the lawsuits wanted the lumber for home-improvement projects"
and they would have been totally skroot if they got an actual 2 inch by 4 inch board and tried to work it in with the existing construction.

A modern 2x4 is close enough to an exact match to the 1920's 2x4s that my house was built with that remodeling bits and pieces is not an issue.

2x4 - I imagine it'll be called a term of art and that'll end it.

I was once a member of a class that actually got something of value out of a class action lawsuit. You could have knocked me over with a feather! What happened was that I had a $60 per year membership contract that I got through my ex-wife's employer (while we were still married). At some point, the gym chain set things up so that people had to renew each year by a certain date in order to keep their contract rates in effect. I neglected to do so one year, and that was that. Years later, a class action settlement restored my right to a membership at my original price, provided that I authorize automatic debit of my dues, which is fine with me. At that price, it's worth it to have access to their gyms, even if I never get around to using them.

Anyone bought a "1 pound" can of coffee lately? Look at the label. Don't expect to see 16oz.

In the real world, all measurements are approximations. One has to look at the number of significant figures stated in order to determine what level of precision is being claimed. The standard mathematical rules of rounding apply, and those rules say that referring to a 1.5 x 3.5 as a 2 x 4 is a correct approximation. Referring to it as a 2.0 x 4.0, however, would be a falsehood. So would calling a 1.49 x 3.49 a 2 x 4.

I swear, it's more like finding a needle in a haystack to grab a few 12' or 16' boards. Everything has knotholes in the edges/all the way through, is warped/bowed, or has a shaved edge. I think we were about 50/50 on what we pulled off the rack versus what made it on the cart.

I swear, it's more like finding a needle in a haystack to grab a few 12' or 16' boards. Everything has knotholes in the edges/all the way through, is warped/bowed, or has a shaved edge. I think we were about 50/50 on what we pulled off the rack versus what made it on the cart.
Old growth lumber becomes more and more rare, I expect.

Back