[This is not aviation related] Salsa vs. Hot sauce

real mexican food...
Only fairly recently have I started ordering "other stuff" when we go to our favorite mexican joint.
I'm pretty sure it's "real" since everyone in there is mexican...even quite a few of the customers.....
Anyway, for years... it's burrito, enchilada, refried beans, occasionally a fajita, etc....
Lately I've been ordering fish, steak, etc.... not the stereo-type stuff. Some good flavors there.

Real mexican food is made from animal parts gringos won't eat with generous pre-seasoning from house flies.

and we shall call it "juneth" for june 6th
Pick a different day. 6 June 1944 is and always will be D Day to me. Just like 7 Dec 1941 means only Pearl Harbor to me.

Thanks to those who never saw either date again.

Last edited:
december 7?
or are you from that other hemisphere?...oh I don't tknow, that dateline stuff makes my head hurt

Pick a different day. 6 June 1944 is and always will be D Day to me. Just like 8 Dec 1941 means only Pearl Harbor to me.

Thanks to those who never saw either date again.

how 'bout juneth for june 5th?

Back home in New Jersey?

Maybe not Jersey, but here in the Midwest those are true. Even when I lived in OKC and Texas I don’t remember a different description.

So I was doing some field research this evening and it seems that picante salsa and hot sauce can be used interchangeably.

20220607_204804.jpg20220607_204811.jpg

But wait, one bottle says ''Authentic'' on it, so you know it's real....

Rumor is, chili crops were way down and sriracha (chili garlic, etc) will be mighty scarce. If that’s your jam might want to get your backup bottle now.

Both say 16oz but neither one is correct as 16 oz is 453.59g. Perhaps America's # 1 rounds down & Mexico's Authentic rounds up?

Just the facts ma'am!

Last edited:
The Herdez is sold at the grocery stores in Mexico to people in a hurry that don’t have a (mom, aunt) at home making salsa.

Ok so that's a good point. While I realize my post here makes me look like I know nothing about the topic at hand, I may not have the nomenclature down but I do grow and make my own salsa (hot sauce)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Oh, like the Filipino food my wife makes...:lol:

She have a good lumpia recipe that she’s willing to share? Had a Filipino I used to work with and his wife would send in a couple trays filled with lumpia every few months. Think turkey pan filled with lumpia stacked on end. Two pans full wouldn’t survive more than a few minutes around our 16 man crew.

Rumor is, chili crops were way down and sriracha (chili garlic, etc) will be mighty scarce. If that’s your jam might want to get your backup bottle now.
I buy my Chulula by the gallon. That should do until August-ish

I was making wings last night and the recipe said to marinate in "equal parts Dale's steak sauce and hot sauce".. Because of this thread, I didn't know if I needed Frank's or Ortega. I'm so confused.

That still doesn't answer the question!

Also isn't traditional Mexican food actually bland, and the spicy stuff is actually an Americanized version of it? It's what I've heard, but haven't verified.
Your observation about traditional Mexican food is correct. However, I have had some salsa in Mexico that will truly warm you up. Just sayin'. :mad3:

Back