Thinking out Loud...

Flying Fever

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Damon
Just asking for advice here, as I plan on finally pursuing my PPL, as I've been a flying enthusiast since I was a kid, and probably have 250,000 miles flying commercial. My Father has an airplane, a Piper Pacer, that he owned back in the '60s, and tracked it down and restored it! Anyway...would it be advantageous to do a ground school, take the written, do the medical, and lastly the flight training. If so, I would do a cram session at probably christmas on vaca, then arrange to take the written in January. My delay as the finance manager has stated, you sell your 'project' car, and you can do it. Just looking for some advice here, as I am in the Greater Atlanta Area, well North of it, up by Lake Lanier.

I'd go through the medical process while ground studying, and be sure that you can get the medical. THEN spend money in the air. Be sure to find a good AME, and even better if you can get the AME's advice on things the 1st time as you go through MEDXPRESS.

Just asking for advice here, as I plan on finally pursuing my PPL, as I've been a flying enthusiast since I was a kid, and probably have 250,000 miles flying commercial. My Father has an airplane, a Piper Pacer, that he owned back in the '60s, and tracked it down and restored it! Anyway...would it be advantageous to do a ground school, take the written, do the medical, and lastly the flight training. If so, I would do a cram session at probably christmas on vaca, then arrange to take the written in January. My delay as the finance manager has stated, you sell your 'project' car, and you can do it. Just looking for some advice here, as I am in the Greater Atlanta Area, well North of it, up by Lake Lanier.
Get the medical out of the way. Make sure you can pass before you go in for the exam. Blood pressure, medication history (SSRIs?), driving record (no DUI in the past decade), things of that nature. Most health history things don't matter but there are some biggies...

Ground school/self study benefits from flight training. Start with the reading material (free PDF downloads from FAA) before flight training but don't get into exam prep until after solo.

Just my NSHO.

Welcome to POA.

Get the medical out of the way. Make sure you can pass before you go in for the exam. Blood pressure, medication history (SSRIs?), driving record (no DUI in the past decade), things of that nature. Most health history things don't matter but there are some biggies...
This....

Look on the net for the FAA form 8500-8 and read through it carefully, especially the medical history question 18, the medications and doctors section, and arrest/conviction/driving record section.

If any of question 18 is a yes, or there are alcohol or illegal substance related law enforcement encounters in your past, do not go to the AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) until you thoroughly educate yourself on what you need to do to explain your yes answer. Some are no big deal and simple to explain, others will require more leg work and document gathering.

We frequently counsel doing all of this early on so you don't fall into the deep dark hole of getting deferred to the FAA and/or get slapped with a denial. If that happens, that effectively ends your dream of powered flight.

If there are any questions on the simple stuff, post here. If you have big difficult questions (especially SSRI usage, or substance related law enforcement encounters), then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien, @bbchien on this board, and his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

This....

Look on the net for the FAA form 8500-8 and read through it carefully, especially the medical history question 18, the medications and doctors section, and arrest/conviction/driving record section.

If any of question 18 is a yes, or there are alcohol or illegal substance related law enforcement encounters in your past, do not go to the AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) until you thoroughly educate yourself on what you need to do to explain your yes answer. Some are no big deal and simple to explain, others will require more leg work and document gathering.

We frequently counsel doing all of this early on so you don't fall into the deep dark hole of getting deferred to the FAA and/or get slapped with a denial. If that happens, that effectively ends your dream of powered flight.

If there are any questions on the simple stuff, post here. If you have big difficult questions (especially SSRI usage, or substance related law enforcement encounters), then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien, @bbchien on this board, and his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Well this I dont think will be a problem, as I spent 20 years in the military. And I have none of those things that are mentioned, so I'm not really too worried. I certainly appreciate all of the input, and information on the site.

Thanks guys
D.

I'm doing it while I'm in college full time, so I'm sure you can. You've just got to be disciplined and stay on top of everything. Owning an airplane really helps me stay "fresh" and keep my landings and maneuvers clean.

Well owning an airplane is out of the question, for now anyway, though I am going to talk to my dad, and try to use his...though It's in North Little Rock Arkansas, and I'm in Cumming GA, would have to find a home for it...i.e. a Hanger, as he finished a complete restoration a few years ago, besides tracking it down...he said 'I found it in a barn, in Newport, AR. Bought it on the spot, and hauled it back here.

oh I bought an '89 Corvette a few years ago, looks great! Runs Great! just have to finish up the interior...I'm almost there, just trying to keep the 'while I'm at it' bug at bay...

Welcome.

You just need to get your private pilot done asap so you can join in the "eman's south east US but not Alabama fly-in community". It's the latest rage. All the cool kids go.

Yeah, I know I probably got you saying "WTF is he talking about?" Don't worry, everyone says that. You'll learn.

Oh I plan on learnin' that is for sure! Just trying to get my best path forward...reminder to self, talk to dad about borrowing airplane.

This....

+1. The medical is the dream killer.

You can be perfectly fit, walk in there and have checked a box that seems completely irrelevant to you and/or flying a airplane and.....pow, stuck, forever. If you are going to start off by being careful and well prepared, the medical is the place to do that! And research the AME you will use, its nice to know in advance if there have been any issues.

Regarding your plan, its medical first (which is easy unless you gotta check one of them boxes). I think the "ground first" vs "ground during flying" is choice you might want to have after you meet your instructor.

Here's just one data point: I took the route of learning ground while taking flying lessons. Often they aligned pretty nicely. My instructor asked me to hold off on the Knowledge Exam (aka Written) until I was near the end. He wanted there to be sort of a meet-up if you will where my brain is in this test mode where the written, oral and check ride would sort of converge. I sure hope they converge soon :)

I did use the King Course and it did a really good job. I could have printed the endorsement but decided to have my instructor give the endorsement instead (not sure if that helps him any, but he sure helped me).

You mentioned military: If you have any GI bill left you can use it towards a 14 CFR Part 141 school to get your Private Pilot's Certificate. Often veterans don't know that. If that is the case you would be doing the ground school as part of that program (as far as I understand it).

Have some fun. Buy your log book right now. Go find a FBO. Interview a couple of instructors. Think about your military experience and other places where you've had lengthy instruction - what style worked best for you? Once you find a instructor, go up for your first logged hour. Heck, you can do all of this between now and Saturday if you like (albeit a bit rushed). No medical or ground school required for this part :) Find out if its still right for you. Don't go on a really bumpy day though, that might throw you off when it shouldn't.

Then prepare you checkbook or credit card!!!

+1. The medical is the dream killer.

You can be perfectly fit, walk in there and have checked a box that seems completely irrelevant to you and/or flying a airplane and.....pow, stuck, forever. If you are going to start off by being careful and well prepared, the medical is the place to do that! And research the AME you will use, its nice to know in advance if there have been any issues.

Regarding your plan, its medical first (which is easy unless you gotta check one of them boxes). I think the "ground first" vs "ground during flying" is choice you might want to have after you meet your instructor.

If you have anything out of the ordinary to enter into boxes 17 & 18, I again recommend consulting a good AME prior to filling them in. Proper wording in the explanations goes a long way.

Welcome and good luck on your journey. You can always get involved in an EAA chapter and find help there in answering some of your questions as well meeting other aviation enthusiasts. Chapter 611 is based in Gainesville, not sure exactly when they meet. Pretty sure they have a web site with that info. I'm with chapter 690 based in Lawrenceville at Briscoe Field. We have a pancake breakfast the first Saturday every month beginning at 8:00 until 10:00 am with a program following at 10:00. We generally have somewhere around 100 in attendance for the breakfast.

You just need to get your private pilot done asap so you can join in the "eman's south east US but not Alabama fly-in community". It's the latest rage. All the cool kids go.

I feel so left out . . . . . Even worse than when I go to the airport and am reminded again that I have the only airplane there . . . . .

Welcome.

Yeah, I know I probably got you saying "WTF is he talking about?" Don't worry, everyone says that. You'll learn.
Oh I plan on learnin' that is for sure! Just trying to get my best path forward...reminder to self, talk to dad about borrowing airplane.

I suggest watching out for eman, that's for sure! Welcome to POA, we are all here to help. I say go fly, get your medical before you solo and after you solo start working on the ground stuff. My 2 cents. Best of luck!

oh I bought an '89 Corvette a few years ago, looks great! Runs Great! just have to finish up the interior...I'm almost there, just trying to keep the 'while I'm at it' bug at bay...

Tell the finance minister if you sell the car you'll have no way to get to the airport...;)

Note all the comments around the medical. That is because it surprises a lot of healthy people.

Right now you have the option of seeking a private pilots license or sport pilot license. Both allow legal powered flight and the PPL is much more versatile. You can fly anything with training/endorsements.

Sport pilot is limited to planes no heavier than 1,320 lbs, 2 seats, 120 knots and daytime VFR (nice weather) only. But no medical is required. Only a drivers license. Restrictive in what you can fly, but a lot more people can get in the sky this way because no medical is required.

The kicker is, however, Sport is only an option if you've never been denied an FAA medical.

That's why everyone is saying review the medical app with focus on 17 & 18 (which have no time limits- looking backward to birth). You took ADD meds for a month in 7th grade - trouble. You took anti depressants or anti anxiety meds in high school. You took PTSD meds after returning from Iraq. Trouble.

Just know before you submit any paperwork online to your AME. Once he opens your app online, I believe he has to submit to the FAA. Some will "consult" without the paperwork but you need to arrange that before you go to the AME.

If you have ALL of those things above (ADD, PTSD & depression) but don't apply for a medical, you would still qualify for a Sports Pilot License if you have a drivers license.

If you apply for a medical and get denied, that eliminates the Sport option as well as Private.

Know before you go.

@Flying Fever. I retired after a military career, and would caution you to truly honor the threat of the medical.

Question 18 will ask do you now, or have you ever...and list a whole bunch of stuff. Consider if you have a VA disability rating, for example. I’m not saying this is you, but a lot of guys have a sleep apnea rating. Guess what? That takes a special issuance. Unless you’ve had no medical history ever, please do your due diligence.

Welcome.

Why you motherf....., two days in a row!!!!

Hughe-Jackman-as-an-Angry-Face-Emoticon-121781.jpg

I feel so left out . . . . . Even worse than when I go to the airport and am reminded again that I have the only airplane there . . . . .

Well, Eclectic Al. Enough said. :D

You mentioned military: If you have any GI bill left you can use it towards a 14 CFR Part 141 school to get your Private Pilot's Certificate. Often veterans don't know that. If that is the case you would be doing the ground school as part of that program (as far as I understand it).

Yes if the flight school has a formal ground school it does. Flying Fever, welcome. Retarded military also. I used the GI Bill (mainly to **** James 331 off) from Commercial to ATP. Unfortunately the PPC has to be paid for out of your pocket. Kicker is the flight school has to operating under Part 141, and I'm sure there's a few in the Atlanta area. Dobbins AFB used to have a Navy flying club but I don't know if they still do or not. Robbins AFB near Macon still has an aero club. Again, welcome and good luck.

I am doing it mostly as you describe and it has worked out well. Instead of a ground school I purchased and use the King online kit. It in addition to online resources prepared me for the written which I got a 93 on. I then got the medical out of the way which in my case was no problem. I'm now doing the flight training with about 25 hours and ready for my Solo X country. So, I think that is a great way to do it. The good part about using the King course is you can always go back to it for reference which I have done many times. Good luck in whatever method you use.

Yes if the flight school has a formal ground school it does. Flying Fever, welcome. Retarded military also. I used the GI Bill (mainly to **** James 331 off) from Commercial to ATP. Unfortunately the PPC has to be paid for out of your pocket. Kicker is the flight school has to operating under Part 141, and I'm sure there's a few in the Atlanta area. Dobbins AFB used to have a Navy flying club but I don't know if they still do or not. Robbins AFB near Macon still has an aero club. Again, welcome and good luck.
Dobbins AFB used to have a Navy flying club but I don't know if they still do or not. Robbins AFB near Macon still has an aero club. Again, welcome and good luck.

Yes when I thought about pursuing this about 10 years ago, the Flying club at Dobbins was still active, but no more. Headed to Macon to train isn't really an option as it's about a 2 hr drive. Though it would be a way to save a few $$. So, I believe I'm going to purchase a training flight kit off of Amazon, and study study study, take a few practice exams, and knock out the written, and in combination get the medical in the works. I'm psyched! my wife, not so much, but I'm trying to bring her around, with the 'just think we'd only be about 3 hours from Panama City FL, Savannah GA, Charleston SC, etc...

This site is really amazing...lots of info here, and quite friendly honestly.

Thanks

Does GI Bill cover IR?

Does GI Bill cover IR?

Everything but the Private. You can even get a type rating. Once I had my PPC, I got my Comm, Instrument, CFI, II, MEI, and ATP under the Vietnam Era GI Bill. Even had some left over for college. Completely burned every penny. Amazing that many vets didn't even use the benefit.

Everything but the Private. You can even get a type rating. Once I had my PPC, I got my Comm, Instrument, CFI, II, MEI, and ATP. Even had some left over for college. Completely burned every penny. Amazing that vets didn't even use the benefit.
But it has to be from part 141? Owning my own IFR capable plane, it would be far cheaper to do it 61. I'm in an interesting situation where I may qualify for benefits due to my wife's recent VA disability rating. I'm still completely confused over what I can do with it.

But it has to be from part 141? Owning my own IFR capable plane, it would be far cheaper to do it 61. I'm in an interesting situation where I may qualify for benefits due to my wife's recent VA disability rating. I'm still completely confused over what I can do with it.

It may depend on what era GI Benefit you have but maybe go to the VA web site and you probably could find out there. Or call the VA. And yes, has to be a Part 141 school unfortunately.

:idea:

I have nothing to add.

Medical ASAP! Mine got deferred and it took about 6 months to finally get cleared. Meanwhile I now have 50 hours and yet to solo.

Stop thinking already! It's getting towards bedtime, I can't sleep with all that noise . . . .

Back