Passed written but frustrated

CARLOS W

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wild2fly
Hi Everyone,

I started a post a few months back stating how I wanted to take flying lessons which was a life long thought but the wife was not in agreement with it. But after contemplating it for a long time I just went ahead and started. I told her I will take it a day at a time and see how things go. I am currently around 23 hours into my training. Decided to wing my written yesterday and passed. So that's checked off. I been cleared to solo at 16 hours but unfortunately things always pop up like weather, plane in the shop, and being bumped for check rides. I been frustrated with things but I know it's part of it. I told them to continue with my lessons until weather cooperates with me for my solo. So i completed my dual xcountry on sat and stayed around the pattern working on xwinds, soft, and short field on the other days. I been enjoying every minute. Just wished I can have a few good weeks of weather so my lessons don't keep getting cancelled. Thanks everyone for your support you give us student pilot's.

Get used to it :)

Seriously, this will not be the last time your flying plans change because of weather or maintenance.

Keep at it and enjoy the moments you have. And remember that the times you don't fly because of weather are indicative of good decision making.

Seriously, this will not be the last time your flying plans change because of weather or maintenance.

Keep at it and enjoy the moments you have. And remember that the times you don't fly because of weather are indicative of good decision making.
This

congrats on the written and getting the dual xcountry done. Soon the solo xcountry. For me that was as big a deal as soloing the first time. I was "going somewhere."

All you can do is keep plugging along... If you are not scheduling more than one lesson a week, you will more frequently run into weather, mx and scheduling issues.. When you say "cleared for solo" I assume that means you have already soloed and are trying to get solo time in.

Hi Everyone,

I started a post a few months back stating how I wanted to take flying lessons which was a life long thought but the wife was not in agreement with it. But after contemplating it for a long time I just went ahead and started. I told her I will take it a day at a time and see how things go. I am currently around 23 hours into my training. Decided to wing my written yesterday and passed. So that's checked off. I been cleared to solo at 16 hours but unfortunately things always pop up like weather, plane in the shop, and being bumped for check rides. I been frustrated with things but I know it's part of it. I told them to continue with my lessons until weather cooperates with me for my solo. So i completed my dual xcountry on sat and stayed around the pattern working on xwinds, soft, and short field on the other days. I been enjoying every minute. Just wished I can have a few good weeks of weather so my lessons don't keep getting cancelled. Thanks everyone for your support you give us student pilot's.
Don't worry about it. You're ahead of where I was at 23 hours. I hadn't solo'd or taken the written. The more dual practice you get on these tricky wind days will make the solo that much easier.

And, contrats on passing the written!

Last edited:
Just remember that Mother Nature hates checkrides! This includes all activities leading up to the ride.

Persevere! You will get there!

-Skip

Good pilots are always learning. All pilots are always rescheduling!

I think I cancel 60% of my intended flights for one reason or another (not IFR yet). It goes with the territory.

Stick with it. You're ahead of the pack.

I schedule about 3-4 days a week. But due to weather and stuff all but one have been getting cancelled. Few times Instructor just asked what I thought and I cancelled the ones on the border. I stick to my app I use called takeoff. If any of my minimums are in the red it's a no go.. as a student I am eager to get out there. And sometimes I think heck since Instructor with me I can push my limits. But I try to think as PIC and alone.. I ask myself this question before my flights " would I take my wife out in this weather?" If my answer is no then I look deep into the reasons and decide. I am just trying to learn the best and safest way.

I schedule about 3-4 days a week. But due to weather and stuff all but one have been getting cancelled. Few times Instructor just asked what I thought and I cancelled the ones on the border. I stick to my app I use called takeoff. If any of my minimums are in the red it's a no go.. as a student I am eager to get out there. And sometimes I think heck since Instructor with me I can push my limits. But I try to think as PIC and alone.. I ask myself this question before my flights " would I take my wife out in this weather?" If my answer is no then I look deep into the reasons and decide. I am just trying to learn the best and safest way.
Yea, then again, the instructor is there to help you expand your experience in various conditions, as long as it is safe. You can't do anything about low ceilings, but for winds, perhaps say, I wouldn't go in this solo, but do you think we should practice crosswind landings today? I'm sure he would suggest this, I'm just saying don't lose a chance to get some good practice in when the conditions warrant.

All you can do is keep plugging along... If you are not scheduling more than one lesson a week, you will more frequently run into weather, mx and scheduling issues.. When you say "cleared for solo" I assume that means you have already soloed and are trying to get solo time in.
No sorry. What I meant was we did patterns and was dropping CFI off to taxi back to just solo. But then winds started gusting 24knots
And each time after same issue

Last edited:
You do realize it is April, which is a very active weather month for both wind and precip in most the lower 48?

24 knots, yikes, think how easy it will be to solo when the wind cooperates.

You do realize it is April, which is a very active weather month for both wind and precip in most the lower 48?
Yup.. but also the luck of time. If I book the morning it's overcast then lifts at noon. If I book afternoon like I normally do the it's a bunch of things.. not just weather. But I totally get it.. well I just use the time to watch videos and read up on things lol

Hi Everyone, I started a post a few months back stating how I wanted to take flying lessons...

Do you think the weather will change after you pass your checkride? If you are frustrated now you will be frustrated later. Flying is a game of patience, money, time and risk.

Go up and knock out your night time with your instructor. You can also work on your AoA indicator certification if you are waiting for weather to clear for your solo. Enjoy it. You will remember it for a long time!!

Do you think the weather will change after you pass your checkride? If you are frustrated now you will be frustrated later. Flying is a game of patience, money, time and risk.
Nope, but I will have more control in hours when to fly. At my school there is never availability unless you book a few weeks out . So if my instructor only has 2 days next week with my hours that's it. If I get out of work early there is usually no chance in getting flight time. That's my other issue. After checkride at least I will have bit more availability with partnership in a plane. But your right, it is a game of patience, time, fun coupons aka money, and risk.

I agree with the others. When I did my pilot training I lived in the Mid Atlantic, and started my training in early April. If I scheduled three times per week (evenings, and weekends), I usually ended up with 1 - 2 actual lessons per week, and then as the weather got better, probably averaged 2 per week. You don't want to go a long time between lessons, so you have to re-learn stuff.

Nope, but I will have more control in hours when to fly. At my school there is never availability unless you book a few weeks out . So if my instructor only has 2 days next week with my hours that's it. If I get out of work early there is usually no chance in getting flight time. That's my other issue. After checkride at least I will have bit more availability with partnership in a plane. But your right, it is a game of patience, time, fun coupons aka money, and risk.

It won't change substantially. You will always be dealing with weather problems. If you get into a partnership you will not have access to the plane 100% of the time so you will often be preempted by another partner who will also be trying to squeeze in a flight between the weather and work. You still need flight reviews (dependent on your age that's 2 to 5 years) and that requires scheduling a CFI. And you may want to add other ratings etc. And that requires CFIs or CFIIS. It never really ends completely having to be patient and spending money beyond the pile needed to fuel and maintain the plane.

It's good that you're experiencing this. This is exactly how flying is going to be when you're done training as well. I have the same issue I kept having weather preventing me from doing things and I just wanted to get through it somehow sort of thinking that I wanted to be through with training so I could just fly all the time. You get your license and it still rains

It won't change substantially. You will always be dealing with weather problems. If you get into a partnership you will not have access to the plane 100% of the time so you will often be preempted by another partner who will also be trying to squeeze in a flight between the weather and work. You still need flight reviews (dependent on your age that's 2 to 5 years) and that requires scheduling a CFI. And you may want to add other ratings etc. And that requires CFIs or CFIIS. It never really ends completely having to be patient and spending money beyond the pile needed to fuel and maintain the plane.
It's just a fun rollercoaster ride.. I guess one good thing when it is time to fly you appreciate it more.

Don't get too discouraged, and certainly don't take out your frustrations on your instructors :).

all i need is to do my solo xc, and about 30 minutes more of hood time and my check ride..but its been like this for 2 months due to a incredible winter here in the sierra nevadas and my personal schedule. i just spend my time studying more. this weekend i should finish all my requirements up and maybe, JUST maybe next week i will do my check ride.

all i need is to do my solo xc, and about 30 minutes more of hood time and my check ride..but its been like this for 2 months due to a incredible winter here in the sierra nevadas and my personal schedule. i just spend my time studying more. this weekend i should finish all my requirements up and maybe, JUST maybe next week i will do my check ride.

I assume you are in Northern Nevada. You can fly East instead of over the mountains and avoid trouble. You can get out on any day from here that has no cloud cover (or sparse) and no turbulence airmet lower than 12k.

You made me go look for that app...I like it a lot! Thanks!

You made me go look for that app...I like it a lot! Thanks!
Yes great app.. another app I really like and gives you take off and landing distance, weather, xwind, and even a risk analyzer is (Cessna 172 performance).

I assume you are in Northern Nevada. You can fly East instead of over the mountains and avoid trouble. You can get out on any day from here that has no cloud cover (or sparse) and no turbulence airmet lower than 12k.

Yeup. I'm out of Minden nv so I am east of the mountains. And there has most definitely been days I could have flown in the past two months but my work schedule was hectic and I just couldn't make the time..then when I was available it was snow, or rain, or wind, or my cfi wasn't around. Now this weekend it might be windy when I've got my second solo xc to Chico planned.

O well. It is, what it is.

Hang in there Carlos... we've all been there.

Trust me, your instructor doesn't like it when weather gets in the way of a lesson plan, either. They've probably gotten more used to it than you have, though.

This time of year in much of the U.S. winds are the problem. In summer it's thunderstorms and convective activity. In fall it's winds and the early winter storms. In winter it's just the freaking cold and snow and ice.

Always something. :)

If you and your instructor have any daily flexibility in schedules at all, I've found it can help to just set the expectation at work that if the awful weather clears, I MUST go to the airport. Either for actual training or just currency flying. Especially in the worst weather months of the year.

Obviously that takes an understanding boss and the right kind of job where nobody will miss you for a day or half a day and you can catch up (or be ahead enough) when you get back. Or burn some midnight oil.

I'm lucky that some of my job requires some late night maintenance and other things after hours every so often, so when I'm on a full time schedule, I can fiddle with those projects and tasks that need to be done late, and bail out of the office on a nice day, do some flying whenever the weather breaks, and then stay up half the night doing the after hours chores. Works well.

If you can work out something like that AND get the instructor to play along with a little notice... it might open some weather windows for you to get some flying in. Just thoughts that have worked for me over the years.

Even the meanest non-aviation boss in my line of work has never turned down a plea to burn four hours of vacation time when the weather clears to go or let me "bank" up some unpaid time off by doing some extra work ahead of time.

See if you can get creative like that if you want to poke some holes in the schedule where they weren't available before.

So, after a year and a half of waiting, and finally getting my ducks (SI Medical, ground school, passing the ground school test, saving money, joining flight club) a in a row, I was ready for my first flight on Monday.
Winds at 18009G19 on runway 16, waiting for the next update.
Did pre-flight.
19010G22, scrubbed flight.
Spent an hour in the cockpit going over emergency procedures with the instructor, and planned our next flight, which is tomorrow.

Upon landing, it would have been 19012G19. Not fun.

I know it's my first, but it is the best flight lesson ever.

So, after a year and a half of waiting, and finally getting my ducks (SI Medical, ground school, passing the ground school test, saving money, joining flight club) a in a row, I was ready for my first flight on Monday.
Winds at 18009G19 on runway 16, waiting for the next update.
Did pre-flight.
19010G22, scrubbed flight.
Spent an hour in the cockpit going over emergency procedures with the instructor, and planned our next flight, which is tomorrow.

Upon landing, it would have been 19012G19. Not fun.

I know it's my first, but it is the best flight lesson ever.
So you passed the written and you haven't had a 'discovery' flight yet? Hope you like flying when you try it. :)

I'm confused. :)

So you passed the written and you haven't had a 'discovery' flight yet? Hope you like flying when you try it. :)

I'm confused. :)
Ground School Cost: $0 (Company paid for it. Got the books, E6B, Plotter included in the tuition)
Medical Cost: $125 (Advice from Dr. Bruce on what I needed for my medical)
Test Cost: $75 (Thank you to the CATS testing center that said that my endorsement was invalid. CATS gave me a break on that)

So, I'm in $200, well $300 for the two hours of ground training I got on Monday, and I've flown in a small airplane before (last time was flying over the San Juan Islands in somewhat rough weather... no problem. Not liking it, if that was a possibility, is a matter of learning to like it. :D

Ground School Cost: $0 (Company paid for it. Got the books, E6B, Plotter included in the tuition)
Medical Cost: $125 (Advice from Dr. Bruce on what I needed for my medical)
Test Cost: $75 (Thank you to the CATS testing center that said that my endorsement was invalid. CATS gave me a break on that)

So, I'm in $200, well $300 for the two hours of ground training I got on Monday, and I've flown in a small airplane before (last time was flying over the San Juan Islands in somewhat rough weather... no problem. Not liking it, if that was a possibility, is a matter of learning to like it. :D
Good deal, knocking down the barriers one at a time!

Well, I had my first 1.1 hours piloting an airplane over Lake Stevens, WA from KPAE.

IT. WAS. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

A little nervous at first, went through the checklists, the CFI operated the radio, and I ran the airplane. Steered it with my feet, no problems, medium bank turns were a little rough at first, and after we climbed, descended, and got to pattern altitude, he said, about halfway through, "Wow. That time in the simulator was well spent!"

Turns were all coordinated, had a little problem at first with looking outside, rather than at the instruments, but it clicked after about 15 minutes.

Most nervous part: Cleared for departure with an airplane on base. Throttle in, pull back (we had an airplane with a nose wheel shimmy squawk, so we went easy on it), and it left the ground at 56 knots, and was at 700 feet in no time.

Landing... well I didn't grease it, but it wasn't bad. No porpoising, or bumps, just a little hard. Having to pull back on the yoke to keep the pressure off the nose wheel was the problem.

A twin engine airplane was headed for his hangar and wasn't acting as expected (taxiing), and I got compliments on waiting for him to (or us to figure out what he was doing) before going on the ramp.

Not liking flying is not in the cards...

Oh yeah, I forgot:
$75 for the Bose Aviation Headset Series II (along with the E6B, Cessna 172M Pilot Handbook, and a bunch of wrapping paper...err... expired charts.

:):):):):):):D:):):):):):)

Sounded like you had a great flight. Remember it's not bad to look outside. You are flying VFR.. don't fix on instruments lol..

Same issues here. Always waiting on work, CFI schedule, plane availability, or the weather.
I'm only at 15 hrs and have had 1 day of flying that wasn't windy... and that was my night flight. It was great. I was squeakin' those landings pretty good.
Maybe I'm just new, but the wind messes with me on the landings still. My CFI doesn't think their bad, but I want squeakers dammit!

and congrats on knocking the other stuff out. Nicely done sir.

Well, I had my first 1.1 hours piloting an airplane over Lake Stevens, WA from KPAE.

IT. WAS. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

A little nervous at first, went through the checklists, the CFI operated the radio, and I ran the airplane. Steered it with my feet, no problems, medium bank turns were a little rough at first, and after we climbed, descended, and got to pattern altitude, he said, about halfway through, "Wow. That time in the simulator was well spent!"

Turns were all coordinated, had a little problem at first with looking outside, rather than at the instruments, but it clicked after about 15 minutes.

Most nervous part: Cleared for departure with an airplane on base. Throttle in, pull back (we had an airplane with a nose wheel shimmy squawk, so we went easy on it), and it left the ground at 56 knots, and was at 700 feet in no time.

Landing... well I didn't grease it, but it wasn't bad. No porpoising, or bumps, just a little hard. Having to pull back on the yoke to keep the pressure off the nose wheel was the problem.

A twin engine airplane was headed for his hangar and wasn't acting as expected (taxiing), and I got compliments on waiting for him to (or us to figure out what he was doing) before going on the ramp.

Not liking flying is not in the cards...

Oh yeah, I forgot:
$75 for the Bose Aviation Headset Series II (along with the E6B, Cessna 172M Pilot Handbook, and a bunch of wrapping paper...err... expired charts.

:):):):):):):D:):):):):):)
Nice write-up. Glad you had fun! You should've put this in the 'so student pilots' thread or start your own progress thread and keep us updated as you go.

Had the same thing - high winds, scheduled 3 per week and lucky to get one flight in during spring. Here's the low down:

1. CFI will scrub some "do-able" flights as conditions might negatively impact the lesson plan
2. Mine cancelled the guy before me several times and told me he did it to get him used to not flying in certain situations> The guy always wanted to go no matter what.
3. After a certain point, you'll get the opposite. Mine dragged me out into stuff I wouldn't have flown in and told me he wanted to be there the first time I saw that situation (high wind, high heat, mountain turbulence, etc.). Got carb icing bad on one of the flights in the 152 (we were in the pattern and he expected it I later learned).

Hang in there ....

Ya.. we went out the other day. It was windy. But after 4 in the pattern he said land her and I will get out. So of course thought finally! But on final we both looked at the wind sock it was straight and showing a nice crosswind.. I called tower and asked for winds. Ya 15 knot crosswind. And I was in a C172p.. so that's max. So landed and called it a day.. oh well.. tonight I go on my dual night x-country.

Ya.. we went out the other day. It was windy. But after 4 in the pattern he said land her and I will get out. So of course thought finally! But on final we both looked at the wind sock it was straight and showing a nice crosswind.. I called tower and asked for winds. Ya 15 knot crosswind. And I was in a C172p.. so that's max. So landed and called it a day.. oh well.. tonight I go on my dual night x-country.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Ask the CFI for several more circuits with him on board and get practice in it (unless you're real low hours like less than 20). Make one a low pass and hold those corrections in the length of the runway without landing helps too (CFI on board for this).

Sorry I didn't explain it much. This was for me to solo.. we only had an hour. Been trying to get in a day to solo. But just my luck.. the day before I did the same but winds just keep getting bad for me to go alone.

Back