Thinking About Hanging Up My Spurs

Wait until you own that fifth wheel if you think airplanes are expensive and troublesome. The manufacturers of RVs are in a race to the bottom to see who can cut the most corners. I haven’t met one person who bought an RV or trailer new or used that hasn’t spent more time fixing it or getting it fixed than actually using it. Even buying new you are going to have problems and it’s going to be months waiting for parts and warrantee work to be done.

Yeah, but I can do all the work on my RV myself, I don't have to think about the FAA, and the parts are way cheaper.

excellent timing post. im about to turn 56 in January and keep thinking about my flying options when I retire. My current goal is to keep our beech travel air until I retire(maybe 66-68 years old) then commit to 2 years of flying trips(alaska/ catalina island, etc....). then sell it and buy a cheap c-120 to buzz around in. I've still got time to adjust my plans however my yearly costs of ownership are slighlty higher than the original poster and I can't see being able to afford to keep that up once I retire for too long. keep us all in the loop and let us know what you decide to do and if you think you made the correct decision.

There are 2 flying clubs near me, both consistently have openings. Couple grand buy-in, the rest is low dry rates. One of them has 4 or 5 aircraft to choose from, and has been around for many decades. The other has 3 aircraft but is more of a equity-based scenario so the buy-in is a bit steeper. No problems, even in fly over country.
And of course everywhere is exactly like where you live.

I say enjoy anything and everything you can afford. Move on from things that you no longer enjoy or can afford. I planned to retire at 62 with funds to fly my Cessna 150 at will and drive around the country often. Age 61.5 diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. You never know what is going to jump up and slap you.

Cancer sucks, Life goes on!
Anthony

And of course everywhere is exactly like where you live.
Lol, do you realize that in your hypocrisy you have literally made the point I was posting about in the beginning. Your personal situation doesn't mean that finding a flying club isn't a viable solution, it just means you didn't find what you wanted at the time. Yet you are staunch in your position that "the folks promulgating this drivel have never tried any of these approaches.", despite knowing that each persons situation is different and that there are obviously partnerships and flying clubs all over the country.

Lol, do you realize that in your hypocrisy you have literally made the point I was posting about in the beginning. Your personal situation doesn't mean that finding a flying club isn't a viable solution, it just means you didn't find what you wanted at the time. Yet you are staunch in your position that "the folks promulgating this drivel have never tried any of these approaches.", despite knowing that each persons situation is different and that there are obviously partnerships and flying clubs all over the country.
Everyone telling me to do what I've already tried for months because you are all big time experts on your own minds. Whatever.

excellent timing post. im about to turn 56 in January and keep thinking about my flying options when I retire. My current goal is to keep our beech travel air until I retire(maybe 66-68 years old) then commit to 2 years of flying trips(alaska/ catalina island, etc....). then sell it and buy a cheap c-120 to buzz around in. I've still got time to adjust my plans however my yearly costs of ownership are slighlty higher than the original poster and I can't see being able to afford to keep that up once I retire for too long. keep us all in the loop and let us know what you decide to do and if you think you made the correct decision.

I was kicking around the idea of becoming a CFI when I retire. Thoughts on that?

Last edited:
That is a great idea!!! I got my CFI rating years ago and only taught a handful of friends and one of my kids. I think I'll enjoy getting into the flight instruction gig part time for something to do. Get started on your rating now.

Back