Thinking about an electric toothbrush

narchee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Long Blinker
It worked well for others with other types of motorized equipment, so trying this again. :D

We're going to be cleaning the teeth of five people in the not-too-distant future. Out of those 5 mouths, I'd say around 2 are adults , with dental work randomly dispersed and some other more heavily modified parts. We currently have manual toothbrushes that we had bought for our current mouths (4 mouths with probably 1-1.5 with dental modifications). It made quick work of that job, and on our current mouth (with probably the majority brushable), it gets the job done in about 5 minutes.

With that sort of mouthage to maintain, there will be a need for some additional equipment. Plus, I just want an electric toothbrush. I'm not afraid of older stuff. As I see it, the needs are:

- Front end bristles (for various front end cleaning chores, plus plunging)
- Likely need a bigger toothbrush than we have today
- Nice to have a handle and a blade for trimming

One friend of mine made a good suggestion (or at least it sounded like it to me), that I get a heavy duty electic model to take care of the brushing in the most efficient manner, and then get a trimmer/cutter combination, or something of that nature.

I'm curious as to thoughts on what would make the most sense for this kind of mouthscape, and what sort of toothbrush/equipment. The old stuff appeals to me since it works, has a classic feel, and still does the job. I'd actually prefer an electric motor for ease of starting in the winter vs. a diesel. The Oral-B's are appealing, but open to suggestions. Wanting to minimize cost since this will receive light duty/intermittent use for us, and we don't need a new professional grade setup.

It worked well for others with other types of motorized equipment, so trying this again. :D

We're going to be cleaning the teeth of five people in the not-too-distant future. Out of those 5 mouths, I'd say around 2 are adults , with dental work randomly dispersed and some other more heavily modified parts. We currently have manual toothbrushes that we had bought for our current mouths (4 mouths with probably 1-1.5 with dental modifications). It made quick work of that job, and on our current mouth (with probably the majority brushable), it gets the job done in about 5 minutes.

With that sort of mouthage to maintain, there will be a need for some additional equipment. Plus, I just want an electric toothbrush. I'm not afraid of older stuff. As I see it, the needs are:

- Front end bristles (for various front end cleaning chores, plus plunging)
- Likely need a bigger toothbrush than we have today
- Nice to have a handle and a blade for trimming

One friend of mine made a good suggestion (or at least it sounded like it to me), that I get a heavy duty electic model to take care of the brushing in the most efficient manner, and then get a trimmer/cutter combination, or something of that nature.

I'm curious as to thoughts on what would make the most sense for this kind of mouthscape, and what sort of toothbrush/equipment. The old stuff appeals to me since it works, has a classic feel, and still does the job. I'd actually prefer an electric motor for ease of starting in the winter vs. a diesel. The Oral-B's are appealing, but open to suggestions. Wanting to minimize cost since this will receive light duty/intermittent use for us, and we don't need a new professional grade setup.

I have a Sonicare model that I haven't used for awhile because the head needed to be replaced (broke while I was on vactation), and I bought a "manual" one to use until I got home. Then I never got around to getting a new head for the Sonicare. I liked it in general, but they can get pretty nasty if not thoroughly cleaned very regularly. Not sure I'd want to share one among 5 people.

We use the Sonicare. We had the Oral B for a number of years, then when they wore out we got the Sonicare mainly for comparison purposes.

The Sonic air vibrates side to side at a high frequency, so it sounds more quiet. Maybe dogs can hear it though, but it does sound more quiet.

The Oral B has a brush-head that rotates back and forth at a lower frequency and does sound louder.

I think the Sonic air brushhead is thinner, so it can reach better into nooks and crannies.

Overall, I like the Sonicare better, probably a lot better.

Both will easily hold a charge for a week so you don't have to carry a charger with you when you travel. Both also have timers - they will typically shut off after 2 minutes. They also have 30 second timers that buzz or hitch to let you know it's time to move to another quadrant. Both have induction chargers - plug them into the wall, then just set the toothbrush on it to charge it. Both can be found cheaply enough for everyone to have their own rather than swapping brush heads.

edit:

This looks like the ones (x2) that we have:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonic...=1441144264&sr=8-4&keywords=philips++sonicare

I'm pretty sure we got them as Sam's club in a 2-pack for a reasonable price. Also included a travel case that holds the brush and 2 heads.

Last edited:
Sonicare here. For many years. My wife and I each have our own. Bodies and brushes are available at Costco at reasonable cost. We replace our brush heads once a quarter.

My dental hygienist tells me that my gums have been much healthier since I switched to the Sonicare.

I am on my third Sonicare. I have not used Oral-b, so I can't compare. The one I have now has an ultraviolet cleaner and easily goes two weeks between charges. You need to change the brush head every few months.

We just picked up a sonicare (two actually) and are very happy with them.

You lost me. Trimming what?

Well, you know, you're brushing away then you notice the undergrowth is getting unruly, so you decide to whack the thatch back a bit. It would be convenient to take care of business right there and then.

+1 on the Sonicare. Between that and Colgate Total toothpaste, I stopped getting a lot of gripes from my hygeninst. The things are dirt cheap at Costco.

Switched to an Oral-B from a Sonicare earlier this year and am planning on switching back very soon. Like the Sonicare MUCH better.

How about the back bush? Does the sonicare help keep that under control?

sounds like you have clearly defined your mission. this is one time that I highly recommend purchasing new.

costco has the sonicare in warehouse pretty cheap right now.
it's the best money I've spent on healthcare in a long time, cleanings take about 2 minutes now. The hygienist usually pokes my gums a little and says everything looks ok

sounds like you have clearly defined your mission. this is one time that I highly recommend purchasing new.

:lol:

Sometimes I feel like there are alternative universes here.

Honestly, get what feels comfortable to you. Until recent years there was no statistical significance with clinical inflammation scores in patients that used manual or electric toothbrushes. The exceptions were people with manual dexterity issues and those that were mildly retarded (that was the papers' words, not mine). Papers have come out showing some statistical significance but IMO no real world clinical significance. I don't push electric toothbrushes and don't sell them in my office. That way it looks more sincere when I do recommend one. Same can be said of waxed vs unwaxed floss--no difference in effect. If you find a brush that feels good and eases your job, go with it.

Clearly, you should rent first, then buy when you're sure the model you choose fits your needs. I'm surprised no one has suggested that yet. And be aware that you will need adequate storage ... keeping your new purchase out of the weather will enhance its service life. Annuals will further protect your investment and the safe operation thereof. Finally, you may wish to attend the Brush-In at Colgate, Wisconsin and talk to owners there of equipment you are considering. It says much about this pilot's board that a non-pilot was the first to recognize your true plight.

Honestly, get what feels comfortable to you. Until recent years there was no statistical significance with clinical inflammation scores in patients that used manual or electric toothbrushes. The exceptions were people with manual dexterity issues and those that were mildly retarded (that was the papers' words, not mine). Papers have come out showing some statistical significance but IMO no real world clinical significance. I don't push electric toothbrushes and don't sell them in my office. That way it looks more sincere when I do recommend one. Same can be said of waxed vs unwaxed floss--no difference in effect. If you find a brush that feels good and eases your job, go with it.

How do you feel about bridges? Sell many of those? ;)

Seriously, thanks for the professional input.

Go ahead and buy the Bo. That's what you'll end up with anyway. Does Beechcraft make a toothbrush? :D

But this is electric and therefore doesn't increase your cylinder count.

John

Sonicare. I suggest avoiding partnerships in this scenario.

They don't need a TEETHbrush.

You only need front teeth for appearance purposes. Back teeth are not really necessary any more. In a bind, you can always chew your food with your front teeth. It looks kind of funky and scares small kids but it works.

For front teeth you need to brush them to stop them going dark brown.

No fancy oral care tools nor anal about oral care. What does it mean when you are 30 years old the first time you ever go to a dentist and the guy is kinda shocked at his initial inspection and he says "you've never had dental work before?" and I replied "if I wasn't having pain I wouldn't be here".

30 minutes later, x-rays and everything, no defects found.

That was two years ago. No real pain anymore :dunno:

Apparently I scored pretty good chompers in the genetic lottery.

Last edited:
Sam's has 2 Sonicare tooth brushes in a pack for $90.

Just tried the Sonicare tooth brush out. Very gentle and gives a good feeling when done. I like it!

Geico approved! :rolleyes:

:lol:

Last edited:
Love my Sonicare(s). I have the standard unit with the charging base that says in my bathroom then got the model that works on two AA batteries that stays in my toiletries bag since I travel a ton.

Have you considered a partnership?

might as well consider it. There are studies linking possible transmittance of oral bacteria from pets to family members. Sharing a toothbrush with another dude to cut fixed costs probably wouldn't be any worse. :lol:

Back