Thinking about a Bus/RV

Some cars can be 'flat towed' on all 4 wheels. They are attached to the RV with a towbar and usually you install a brake actuator.
Just so you know, a complete towbar, safety chains, and brake system, safety lighting, and may be close to $3500.

e-bay is your friend. :)

before you buy RV tires read the safety reading of the SPEED rating.
some trailers spin the tires too fast and always replace new cheap trailer ones with a load D

2018,, we parked at the big old faithful big parking for 2 days to explore with the jeep.
we asked about over night parking and it was OK then
The ranger said as log as we were not camping we were OK.
Old Faithful is in Yellowstone, not Yosemite. What would you say the difference between 'camping' and 'overnight parking' is? Regardless, the guidance on the Yosemite site says you must overnight in a designated campsite, not in a parking lot or along the side of the road.

oops,,,, wrong park :) there are vehicle left in the parking lots many nights.

camping usually means hook ups of some sort, parking is just parking.

NATIONAL PARK rules are national.. even when they are run by a contractor, and may be adjusted for each park.

not that this means anything during the pandemic?

Last edited:
I've been considering the need for a "toad", which we will have to have I expect. Really the Ram is the best option for it at the moment since I can put the transfer case in neutral and just pull it behind. The Mercedes is AWD so I can't put it on a tow dolly, and I don't think it's designed to be a tow-behind. Buying another car just to be towed behind seems silly, although perhaps a consideration for Laurie's next car to replace the Mercedes when the time comes.

I think the diesel pusher is definitely what we want, and I agree with Tom that something in the range of the Cummins 8.3 or larger is better. The Cat C7s seem to be fine as well, but really bigger is better.

Looking at layouts a lot, I'm getting some thoughts down for what makes the most sense for our setup. Still trying to figure it out. So far I've only found one RV for sale that had bunk beds in addition to the bedroom, plus a sofabed. I've come to the conclusion that we will probably have some amount of customization no matter what we get, just because we'll have wants that aren't fulfilled by basically any design, unless we buy new and we aren't buying new. If we're doing customization anyway, it still makes the most sense to have something that's already an RV so that it's more of a renovation than a ground-up design (and I'd rather have something that's hopefully lower mile as something that was always an RV from day 1), but that does add a bit of flexibility.

The thought of a 4x4 Sprinter with 144" length appeals to me as it's easily drivable wherever you need to go. The size of a full size pickup, so normal spaces are no issues, yet the 4x4 to get to some places that others can't...

We considered buying a used Sprinter van and converting it, but then my wife discovered Tigers... and I have too many projects anyway.

So they’re open or closed?

The campgrounds are open, but half of the campsites within the campgrounds are closed for social distancing, just like restaurants that are open with half the tables blocked off.

I've been considering the need for a "toad", which we will have to have I expect. Really the Ram is the best option for it at the moment since I can put the transfer case in neutral and just pull it behind.

Isn't a Ram kinda big for a toad? My Ram was bigger than our entire camper!

You could always go for a "toy hauler" RV and carry a Smartcar in the garage...

Yes, Ted needs a smartcar as a toad!

If we plan on driving at the destination, anything we tow would need to be able to fit all 5 of us. That's the Ram or the Mercedes. We have a 25' flatbed trailer that could haul the Mercedes, but that's a bit excessive and probably makes campground items harder since we have that trailer to contend with.

I agree - the Ram is overkill for a toad, but we already have it and it would work. And since we're talking about a 40' RV (maybe 45') then it's not larger.

I agree - the Ram is overkill for a toad, but we already have it and it would work. And since we're talking about a 40' RV (maybe 45') then it's not larger.
Make it work.. When you see some of stacker trailers on the roads You wonder what is the limit.
I guess the limit is the length.
imgres

While you may not like the answer (as it doesn't increase your cylinder index), the most reasonable solution is a gooseneck RV designed for travel (rather than a 'park model'). Easy to back into spots if no pull-through available, just put down the jacks and you have full use of the truck. Take along a 4.5kW inverter generator if you are not at a campground with a hookup.

While you may not like the answer (as it doesn't increase your cylinder index), the most reasonable solution is a gooseneck trailer designed for travel (rather than a 'park model'). Easy to back into spots if no pull-through available, just put down the jacks and you have full use of the truck. Take along two 2kW Honda inverter generators and a parallel kit if you are not at a campground with a hookup.

what do they use for a toad? big azzed truck?

Something to consider - at a campground, or pretty much anyplace other than a parking lot, put up a tent for your son. He can stay outside, and probably will like the privacy. We puttered around Europe when I was in 4/5/6th grade and usually wanted to be away from the rest of the family after being inside the VW camper all day. Unless wx doesn't cooperate or the AC really seems necessary, a tent set up under the awning next to the door might be something that would work out. You might not need to do as much internal re-arranging as you think.

While you may not like the answer (as it doesn't increase your cylinder index), the most reasonable solution is a gooseneck RV designed for travel (rather than a 'park model'). Easy to back into spots if no pull-through available, just put down the jacks and you have full use of the truck. Take along a 4.5kW inverter generator if you are not at a campground with a hookup.

I don't like that answer, but it's mostly because it doesn't fulfill the goals. I agree it's more practical but we're not talking about trying to have our house with us when we get there, it's about having the house with us while we're on the road, as well. Yeah there are limits in what you can do while rolling down the road, but those are far fewer in an RV than in a pickup.

I don't like that answer, but it's mostly because it doesn't fulfill the goals. I agree it's more practical but we're not talking about trying to have our house with us when we get there, it's about having the house with us while we're on the road, as well. Yeah there are limits in what you can do while rolling down the road, but those are far fewer in an RV than in a pickup.
I hear you Ted. I would have never considered a motor home before this, but tons of my coworkers are buying/renting them for this reason. The kids and spouse can work/study/relax/use the bathroom while one person drives. this is not possible with a 5th wheel, camper, or travel trailer (what I have). It also allows you to keep your germ vectors WAY down as you can eat/pottie/etc in the camper and then just let the kids out when you're at a campground where they can ride bikes/etc and still stay back from people.

I do think the tent is an interesting idea though. Especially if you got a super fast setup one so it's literally 5 minutes to put up or take down.

Another question is on pricing. There are a lot of prices that seem all over the map and not necessarily in-line to reflect condition of A vs. B. I'm not used to making offers that are say 25% below asking price. Is that just a common thing in this world, or is it "Wife wants it sold" pricing like in aviation?

Something to consider - at a campground, or pretty much anyplace other than a parking lot, put up a tent for your son. He can stay outside, and probably will like the privacy. We puttered around Europe when I was in 4/5/6th grade and usually wanted to be away from the rest of the family after being inside the VW camper all day. Unless wx doesn't cooperate or the AC really seems necessary, a tent set up under the awning next to the door might be something that would work out. You might not need to do as much internal re-arranging as you think.

I do think the tent is an interesting idea though. Especially if you got a super fast setup one so it's literally 5 minutes to put up or take down.

We don't consider ourselves helicopter parents, but remember I was raised in New York City. I'm not sure we'd go to the tent thing for one kid just yet.

Another question is on pricing. There are a lot of prices that seem all over the map and not necessarily in-line to reflect condition of A vs. B. I'm not used to making offers that are say 25% below asking price. Is that just a common thing in this world, or is it "Wife wants it sold" pricing like in aviation?

We would have accepted lower than we had ours on consignment but ended up getting a full price offer.

I purposefully kept the price high because I was in no hurry to sell it, but we did use a dealership because nobody would really have ever come to see it out here.

Then the consignment buyer and sales guy had a heart attack and was out for a couple of months and nobody told us. Ha. When the consignment contract came to renewal at 90 days I called and they eventually called back and said they were glad I called, they’d sold it and were having a hard time figuring out who the check went to. LOL!

RV dealers can be... entertaining. I ended up disliking the place we bought it from enough that the consignment wasn’t done thru them. Went to their competition. LOL

How about a truck school? I would think that all the drivng stuff will be the same.

That would get her ready to handle just about anything, though it may be overkill for the purpose. I just want her to see if she is comfortable towing a 34' 5th wheel trailer behind a 3/4 ton truck, or if we should downsize our plans and get something smaller...before we make the investment.

We don't consider ourselves helicopter parents, but remember I was raised in New York City. I'm not sure we'd go to the tent thing for one kid just yet.
Fair enough. Maybe get a few more years on him. Then he can get up first to get the fire started.

You can tie him to the dog, too.

We've done some more looking around at various listings. One thing that's become pretty apparent is that the listings we like the best are all in the 40-45' range, seems to generally be no slides and what were higher end units that are now depreciated. Kinda like the cars and planes we like too! ;)

There are a few we're interested in. We'll probably do some more looking and asking some questions, and then head out and look at a few when Laurie's home from work next week, at least get an idea for what we like.

Slides, we've seen a lot without that we like the layouts of, and in some extent like them more.

We've done some more looking around at various listings. One thing that's become pretty apparent is that the listings we like the best are all in the 40-45' range, seems to generally be no slides and what were higher end units that are now depreciated. Kinda like the cars and planes we like too! ;)

There are a few we're interested in. We'll probably do some more looking and asking some questions, and then head out and look at a few when Laurie's home from work next week, at least get an idea for what we like.

Slides, we've seen a lot without that we like the layouts of, and in some extent like them more.
What's not to like?

Last edited:
...when Laurie's home from work next week...

For her. Karen laughed.

f406fafd2e592fd06eb0838d4d44d94e.jpg

Reactions: Ted
I think to clarify, there’s a short term and long term goal. Maybe they go together, maybe not. Long term I’d absolutely like to do my own setup. Short term if we’re looking at something we’d want to start using during the school year, there’s just not time.

Very true. But, maybe one of the pre-converted ones could work, and you could do some excellent customizations I'm sure. The platform is a good one anyway!

I’ll say my biggest thing against MCIs is I find the ones made 80s and later to be ugly. Maybe some of the -9s are still ok but the 102s I don’t like the look of.

Interesting. There's not a ton of difference between the 9s and the A-series. The "102" is merely the width in inches of several series, so you may be thinking some of the later ones. The B and C series were the first ones that you could just get painted sides instead of stainless.

What is it you like about the older ones or dislike about the newer ones? I prefer the 9 and later myself, but mainly I think it's because the 8 still has the bump in the top cap that hints at the old buses that had the "upper windshield" and that makes them look really old to me. But I spent some of the best years of my life riding around in an 8.

I’m actually not a fan of the 92 series Detroit’s and I’m especially not a fan of the 6V92s. Detroit 2-strokes are an interesting exercise in how engine configuration makes a difference in sound, and V6 = bleh. Really with a 2-stroke I’d want a 12V71, the best sounding of all. That’s either an MCI MC-6, or a conversion. Again, long game not short game.

You're a hard man to please! :rofl: I didn't realize MCI ever used a 12-cylinder, but I was never in charge of anything older than an 8. It sounds like the MC-6/12V71 combo would be right up your alley, but VERY hard to find as 85 of the 100 MC-6s built were re-engined and only the 15 Canadian ones kept their 12V71s according to this article: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus...supercrusier-a-big-bruiser-ahead-of-its-time/

Oh, and happy birthday!

Thanks! :)

You can go as far the overhead cables run.

Like this guy?

0*DO3SVADLJGGMJjBB.jpg

Very true. But, maybe one of the pre-converted ones could work, and you could do some excellent customizations I'm sure. The platform is a good one anyway!

That's more or less what we're leaning towards at the moment - one of the larger proper bus RVs that has had a conversion done, but that we could then update/customize as needed. However it would need to be one that started out good and not one that's junk.

Interesting. There's not a ton of difference between the 9s and the A-series. The "102" is merely the width in inches of several series, so you may be thinking some of the later ones. The B and C series were the first ones that you could just get painted sides instead of stainless.

What is it you like about the older ones or dislike about the newer ones? I prefer the 9 and later myself, but mainly I think it's because the 8 still has the bump in the top cap that hints at the old buses that had the "upper windshield" and that makes them look really old to me. But I spent some of the best years of my life riding around in an 8.

Just call it personal preference. I'm not a fan of most of the 80s/early 90s blocky/pixelated kind of looks, and to me that's what the square headlight MCI-9s and the A-series have. I actually don't mind the older looking busses (although I prefer the 4-headlight ones). The Silver Eagles look cool, although the ones that have been converted to 102s from 96s hurt the aesthetics some, as do the raised roof ones, and I suspect that without those features the interior space is going to be notably lacking. There's one Silver Eagle close to us that we like and might go check out, although it's not currently our top choice. Oh, and it's an 8V92, non-turbo, no Jakes. So several negatives. However it's been very nicely redone from the pictures, we wouldn't need to do much on the interior.

I remember riding in the 9s and the A-series as a kid, too, taking the bus out to Long Island and other destinations. I remember the OTR AC being broken on one ride in a very hot summer. LOL

When it comes to the big busses, the Silver Eagles I think look cool but are least practical. The Prevost is my favorite overall on styling, but the pricing matches. The MCIs I don't like as much, but ultimately if the rest of the bus is good, then that matters more.

And we may also get in some of these full on busses with no slides and go "Nope, want the slide."

You're a hard man to please! :rofl: I didn't realize MCI ever used a 12-cylinder, but I was never in charge of anything older than an 8. It sounds like the MC-6/12V71 combo would be right up your alley, but VERY hard to find as 85 of the 100 MC-6s built were re-engined and only the 15 Canadian ones kept their 12V71s according to this article: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus...supercrusier-a-big-bruiser-ahead-of-its-time/

Yeah, I've only seen (on YouTube) one of the 6s with the V12s. Those were also smaller than we'd want, so really not a good choice.

The 92 series engines are also not my choice, which is a bit of a rough spot to be in since that's what most of the things have. Don't like the 6V92 sound, the 8V92s sound ok, but all 92s use wet liners with O-rings (which can deteriorate) and are harder on the rod bearings. I'm certainly no expert, but watching Bus Grease Monkey on YouTube (one of my favorite channels) he recommends doing 92 rod bearings every 100k, and when he pulls them it seems like they normally need it. Maybe he recommends all the bearings, I forget. Anyway, the 71 series seems to be more tolerant.

But really, I'm not going to quibble over the engine type anything we look at has. I'd be more concerned about an exhaust brake of some sort, be it proper Jakes or just an exhaust flapper like @denverpilot had on his Ram. We'll plan mountain trips where we'll definitely want them. Jakes can be added but it's harder to do so really, prefer to have something that already has it, at least on a 2-stroke since you can't effectively use a flapper on the exhaust with the 2-strokes, all it'll do is block off the air from the blower, which isn't going to do you much.

Tom, those are all pretty, although well above the price range. For the moment anyway we're looking at maxing out at $50k. Doubt that a $100k+ asking price RV would come down that far in price. :)
Even 50k will get you a very nice 2000-2008 name brand. but a bunkhouse will be rare.

Even 50k will get you a very nice 2000-2008 name brand. but a bunkhouse will be rare.

I agree. We think we should still be able to get a nice coach, and we aren't expecting any kind of bunks in anything we buy.

I agree. We think we should still be able to get a nice coach, and we aren't expecting any kind of bunks in anything we buy.
You probably figured out My preferred make is a NEWMAR, and after 20 years we know why.
there is some makes that I'd stay away from. Bounder leads the way for poor quality. anything with wrinkle aluminum skin.
we have three friends that have "Beaver" coaches and they are beautiful well build. but I have never seen one below 75-100k.
good luck in your hunt, if I can help, please advise.

Thanks, Tom. I may send you a few links to some of the ones we're interested in. Right now still definitely looking.

Like with airplanes, it seems most people like what they have, at least if they bought correctly. :)

Thanks, Tom. I may send you a few links to some of the ones we're interested in. Right now still definitely looking.

Like with airplanes, it seems most people like what they have, at least if they bought correctly. :)
Like aways, we talk to travelers and when we gather we hear what the people prefer and what they ***** about.
we didn't know squat about motorhomes went we started, but we got lucky, we bought the Newmar, then made all the bad mistakes. and it took it.

There are a bunch of web pages on motorhomes, and they all have an opinion.
my best advice is don't buy an orphan, stay with a brand name that will be supported 20 years later.

Back