Thinking about a Bus/RV

The day we done it was beautiful, 75 degrees sunny. but it was crowded they were allowing 1 car in as 1 left. 3 hour wait..
the campgrounds were beautiful, and right at the train station. they even have a doggy motel.:)

That’s the kind of situation where the Class A would be nice. Instead of sitting in the car going “Are we there yet?” the kids can continue working on whatever they’re working on.

When the kids were young and we lived 4hrs from anywhere, I was looking into getting one of the Sprinter based RVs just for travel. Not so much to stay, more to have a bathroom and a changing table.

Kinda it for us. No need to stop to get a sandwich, use the bathroom, etc., and can work on stuff en route. Yeah I’ll be driving but I enjoy that. :)

Ok, so ages, brands, opinions on slide outs. Something in the late 90s/early 2000s seems to be the right value for us, 80s/early 90s for a Prevost/real bus but those were nice enough from the factory that the extra age I think is less of an issue.

I generally am against slide outs but could be convinced. They’re great when parked but they’re in the way when driving and they’re big things to break. Our friends who’ve stopped by with slide outs, the interior when parked is really nice, but it seems that while driving things are compromised a good bit.

Kinda it for us. No need to stop to get a sandwich, use the bathroom, etc., and can work on stuff en route. Yeah I’ll be driving but I enjoy that. :)

I was thinking to have it look like an airport shuttle van. Dark windows, integrated AC. Some bunk-beds in the back, bathroom, kitchenette. There is a company called 'sportsmobile' who has a modular system and will put together what you need.

the slide is not a problem with the Newmar they are totally mechanical, 1 drive motor and a jack screw. (20 years and it still works)

our slide when retracted still has plenty room for kids to watch TV, and have the desk out, and the kitchen is still fully functional.

our slide.. 32" X 14' open, then two over center locks when closed.

I've grease the jackscrews twice in 20 years.

Last edited:
Ok, so ages, brands, opinions on slide outs. Something in the late 90s/early 2000s seems to be the right value for us, 80s/early 90s for a Prevost/real bus but those were nice enough from the factory that the extra age I think is less of an issue.

I generally am against slide outs but could be convinced. They’re great when parked but they’re in the way when driving and they’re big things to break. Our friends who’ve stopped by with slide outs, the interior when parked is really nice, but it seems that while driving things are compromised a good bit.
Our slide is totally out of the way went retracted the driver is never compromised, my seat can be fully rearward and never touch the slide. but we always check that the seat isn't in the way when moving the slide.

Perfect. ! hey Dady, can we stop and look at this?

Attachments

• B868092C-A1EB-4597-99BC-9FC51FE8E514_1_105_c.jpeg
    B868092C-A1EB-4597-99BC-9FC51FE8E514_1_105_c.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Ted
How about a truck school? I would think that all the drivng stuff will be the same.
more better you have 1 instructor. but you really don't need one. Comfort steer does all that for you. 1 finger control with comfort steering.
1 day with the knowing the proper track, should be good to go.
Barb will not do heavy traffic.. but we plan ahead. it isn't that she can't, :) she won't

get on the freeway, set the cruise control to 65MPH, set the transmission to economy. keep it in your lane. and go.

safety features it is a must,,
Watch.

Last edited:

I have spent a lot of time around RVers and have seen quite a few mistakes made. One of the more common mistakes is insisting on a diesel without thinking about the build quality of the rest of the coach.

If buying a class A, I tend to suggest that anyone looking under 50K look at used gas coaches. RVs tend to suffer from the same problem as airplanes, lack of use. Those lack of use issues are more expensive to fix on diesel coaches than gas coaches. In addition, a gas coach is going to be newer, and (because RVs are built for weight savings) you are more likely to find issues with the house side of and RV than the car side.

Either way, I would look for a unit that has been driven at least 5000 miles per year, and the older the RV, the more picky I would be about staying away from low end models.

Having said that, if you can stretch to $75K, it is worth considering some used pushers (as this link shows), but (as with planes) avoid something that has been parked for years, and budget for some repairs as you put it back on the road.

Know the taxes and insurance costs of the rig before you buy, I have seen a few individuals blindsided by the cost of taxes and insurance on their class A. Have seen one parked, and later sold because for that reason (they moved states and then insurance costs doubled and the taxes tripled.)

I have spent a lot of time around RVers and have seen quite a few mistakes made. One of the more common mistakes is insisting on a diesel without thinking about the build quality of the rest of the coach.

A Spartan chassis combined with a cummins, can't be beat.

there are 2 spartan Chassis one with one axel, and one with a tag. go over 40' and you will see a tag.

a cheap coach is something that many never get past.

A Spartan chassis combined with a cummins, can't be beat.

there are 2 spartan Chassis one with one axel, and one with a tag. go over 40' and you will see a tag.

a cheap coach is something that many never get over.

I agree, but dollar for dollar you will not be comparing a the same age Spartan to a Workhorse (Chevy gas chassis). Likely the Workhorse chassis will be 10-20 years newer at the same price.

In addition, I should probably point out that most people who by Class As don't have the mechanical experience of @Tom-D or @Ted DuPuis.

(Also, I agree about Andrew Steele having an agenda, but there is still significant value to be gleaned in the information.)

I agree, but dollar for dollar you will not be comparing a the same age Spartan to a Workhorse (Chevy gas chassis). Likely the Workhorse chassis will be 10-20 years newer at the same price.

In addition, I should probably point out that most people who by Class As don't have the mechanical experience of @Tom-D or @Ted DuPuis.

(Also, I agree about Andrew Steele having an agenda, but there is still significant value to be gleaned in the information.)
When you are a Spartan Chassis you are talking about a Firetruck chassis, built to withstand the work needed.

The Workhorse chassis are a light duty chassis usually found in the lower cost coach.
Workhorse chassis of the high end coaches can be found in the newer larger mid priced ones.

The big draw to me is, they still manufacturer every piece of my 2000 year coach, which means I can order parts, I crunched a major door, one phone call and it was on the way. When we hit the bear, same thing, 2 days shipping and it was here.

This 2000 coach is not made anymore. but would hesitate a minute to buy it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-45-Monaco-Signature-General-Titan-Roadmaster-Class-A-Diesel-Motorhome-RV/303489550880?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=ac78b36c786349308a279e8432c8b6b5&pid=100667&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=303489550880&itm=303489550880&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

that was a half million dollar coach in 2000.

We got rid of ours because once you live rural, traveling somewhere to park six feet from someone else “in nature” becomes incredibly silly.

Was the one thing we never saw coming. We always wanted a big trailer when we lived in the rat colony.

About the only way around it was to set up for dry camping and hit BLM land.

“Camp”grounds are noisy places where you’re closer to the neighbors than in the city with much thinner walls.

We loved taking it to OSH where we camped with friends we didn’t mind being six feet from. Other than that, it sat. Because we could see “nature” from the deck. Or fly somewhere, grab a hotel for next to nothing comparatively, and see nature via a short drive in a rental car.

Or see other more interesting things in urban environs the truck would have to be unhitched to go see. Which really was why we kept the motor out of the portable rarely used towable single-wide.

We had a huge pop up shared with family for a couple decades before the fifth wheel. It was far more versatile and could go places the big rig couldn’t.

Five years ago today the Dodge blew a fuel pump in Nebraska rowing it. Turned out to be great. Didn’t have to get a hotel or live in their shop for four days. Tow truck took trailer to campground with high amp service, other tow truck took the pickup to the shop. We enjoyed dual air conditioner comfort with condensed water from both raining off the roof all day, while we waited... watching DVDs and reading.

Something to think about.

fortunately we live in WA. we have plenty of good boon docking.

Attachments

• C15AF56E-9E50-465B-9192-FA8C61558C11_1_105_c.jpeg
    C15AF56E-9E50-465B-9192-FA8C61558C11_1_105_c.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 50D9F45F-050C-4C23-8AC0-CBE210ED5C04_1_105_c.jpeg
    50D9F45F-050C-4C23-8AC0-CBE210ED5C04_1_105_c.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 3E89FC53-B414-4CD8-B7B5-95709A1C5F12_1_105_c.jpeg
    3E89FC53-B414-4CD8-B7B5-95709A1C5F12_1_105_c.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 37
We're thinking that now may be a good time to get our feet wet with the idea as circumstances over the next year may be positive for travel with the kids. Long term, I'd really like to redecorate our own (or maybe we do that now, at least to some extent). But short term, buying something usable with minimal work required to get operational for our specs.

Who are you, and what did you do with Ted? ;)

See, I came to this thread because I saw the subject line and that you posted it, and I figured you'd be looking to build your own. But let me throw this stuff out there anyway.

I do have a fair bit of experience with the MCI motor coaches. Never touched a Prevost (except a passenger seat!) but the grizzled old head mechanic at the place we leased them to in the off season grumbled about what a pain they are to do maintenance on - And he had the same view of the newer MCI (Renaissance and later) models.

Also, I know you have a fondness for the Detroit 2-stroke diesels... So with that in mind, were I you, I'd be looking for an MCI 102A3, 102B3, or 102C3. All were 40 footers and 102" wide (as opposed to the 96" on the earlier models). The most popular engines were the 6V92 turbos, and that gives them the right amount of power IME. Some have the 8V71, normally aspirated, and those are dogs. Avoid. Knowing how much you like power, they were available with an 8V92 turbo as well but I don't think very many of those were made.

The bonus is that 40-foot coaches have kind of gone out of style and you should be able to find one cheap. You could get an MC-9 in good shape for $5K 20 years ago, so I'd imagine you could find a 102*3 for that now, and they'll go way past a million miles relatively trouble-free. That'd leave you with plenty of budget for materials to do the conversion yourself, BUT...

I did find one that seems like it has your name on it, that's already converted AND has the bigger 8V92 engine: https://www.rvt.com/MCI-102C3-1992-Brandywine-MD-ID8790659-UX327371

I look forward to seeing your results! :)

Know the taxes and insurance costs of the rig before you buy, I have seen a few individuals blindsided by the cost of taxes and insurance on their class A. Have seen one parked, and later sold because for that reason (they moved states and then insurance costs doubled and the taxes tripled.)
Yes, I have heard some have bought land in another state for the purpose of registering the RV due to tax. I have also heard insurance can run well into 4 figures.
Clearly Ted has stated he would prefer a motorhome to a 5th wheel or trailer, but for others reading insurance on a 5th wheel or trailer is optional whereas on a motorhome it is not.

We got rid of ours because once you live rural, traveling somewhere to park six feet from someone else “in nature” becomes incredibly silly.

Was the one thing we never saw coming. We always wanted a big trailer when we lived in the rat colony.

About the only way around it was to set up for dry camping and hit BLM land.

“Camp”grounds are noisy places where you’re closer to the neighbors than in the city with much thinner walls.

We loved taking it to OSH where we camped with friends we didn’t mind being six feet from. Other than that, it sat. Because we could see “nature” from the deck. Or fly somewhere, grab a hotel for next to nothing comparatively, and see nature via a short drive in a rental car.

Or see other more interesting things in urban environs the truck would have to be unhitched to go see. Which really was why we kept the motor out of the portable rarely used towable single-wide.

We had a huge pop up shared with family for a couple decades before the fifth wheel. It was far more versatile and could go places the big rig couldn’t.

Five years ago today the Dodge blew a fuel pump in Nebraska rowing it. Turned out to be great. Didn’t have to get a hotel or live in their shop for four days. Tow truck took trailer to campground with high amp service, other tow truck took the pickup to the shop. We enjoyed dual air conditioner comfort with condensed water from both raining off the roof all day, while we waited... watching DVDs and reading.

Something to think about.

I think you’ve hit a lot of good points there, Nate. The whole reason we live where we do is because we don’t want to be 6 feet away from neighbors so camping on its own would afford less privacy. But then again this option would be about the same as hotels when traveling, with the benefit of the house coming along with us.

Who are you, and what did you do with Ted? ;)

See, I came to this thread because I saw the subject line and that you posted it, and I figured you'd be looking to build your own. But let me throw this stuff out there anyway.

I do have a fair bit of experience with the MCI motor coaches. Never touched a Prevost (except a passenger seat!) but the grizzled old head mechanic at the place we leased them to in the off season grumbled about what a pain they are to do maintenance on - And he had the same view of the newer MCI (Renaissance and later) models.

Also, I know you have a fondness for the Detroit 2-stroke diesels... So with that in mind, were I you, I'd be looking for an MCI 102A3, 102B3, or 102C3. All were 40 footers and 102" wide (as opposed to the 96" on the earlier models). The most popular engines were the 6V92 turbos, and that gives them the right amount of power IME. Some have the 8V71, normally aspirated, and those are dogs. Avoid. Knowing how much you like power, they were available with an 8V92 turbo as well but I don't think very many of those were made.

The bonus is that 40-foot coaches have kind of gone out of style and you should be able to find one cheap. You could get an MC-9 in good shape for $5K 20 years ago, so I'd imagine you could find a 102*3 for that now, and they'll go way past a million miles relatively trouble-free. That'd leave you with plenty of budget for materials to do the conversion yourself, BUT...

I did find one that seems like it has your name on it, that's already converted AND has the bigger 8V92 engine: https://www.rvt.com/MCI-102C3-1992-Brandywine-MD-ID8790659-UX327371

I look forward to seeing your results! :)

Thanks, Kent, interesting perspective. I’ve heard the MCIs are much easier to work on than the Prevost, and I expect I’ll be doing most or all of the work on the thing like I do for everything else.

I think to clarify, there’s a short term and long term goal. Maybe they go together, maybe not. Long term I’d absolutely like to do my own setup. Short term if we’re looking at something we’d want to start using during the school year, there’s just not time. We’d end up nowhere near done by the time the school year is over. That’s where the short game comes in of buying something ready to go as is, and maybe that something is a bus that’s been converted and can also be renovated/upgraded.

I’ll say my biggest thing against MCIs is I find the ones made 80s and later to be ugly. Maybe some of the -9s are still ok but the 102s I don’t like the look of. I like the way a Prevost look, I really liked the VanHools when I was in high school (although maintenance is probably worse and I’ve never seen one converted).

Engine wise, and I know this will sound odd again, for the short game I really don’t care what it has. I could even be convinced on a gasser if the pricing was good and the rest of the machine did the job. I’m actually not a fan of the 92 series Detroit’s and I’m especially not a fan of the 6V92s. Detroit 2-strokes are an interesting exercise in how engine configuration makes a difference in sound, and V6 = bleh. Really with a 2-stroke I’d want a 12V71, the best sounding of all. That’s either an MCI MC-6, or a conversion. Again, long game not short game. If I’m not doing the V12 then I’d probably prefer a Cat diesel, but like I said, whatever - buy the rig that does the job and it’ll have what it has.

One appeal with the 2-strokes is that they can be all mechanical, although Prevost started doing the DDEC in the late 80s or early 90s. I find computerized diesels have more issues sitting, and most of these things sit most of the time.

Another “negative” on the bus is that they pretty much never have slide outs, so that is what it is. I think at this point that’s just a note rather than a pro or con.

Oh, and happy birthday!

My wife and I love our 16' Tiger (technically a class C though more like a class B in spirit, ours is Chevy Astrovan based, the new ones are 4X4 truck based), but Ted, with the kind of machines you like I can't see you in anything less than a Silver Eagle bus... unless it's a converted semitrailer to go with the tractor... but then the kids couldn't ride in the back.

Reactions: Ted
My wife and I love our 16' Tiger (technically a class C though more like a class B in spirit, ours is Chevy Astrovan based, the new ones are 4X4 truck based), but Ted, with the kind of machines you like I can't see you in anything less than a Silver Eagle bus... unless it's a converted semitrailer to go with the tractor... but then the kids couldn't ride in the back.

There is actually a converted Silver Eagle nearby that’s very interesting to us. May ask a few questions on it, too.

I think you’ve hit a lot of good points there, Nate. The whole reason we live where we do is because we don’t want to be 6 feet away from neighbors so camping on its own would afford less privacy. But then again this option would be about the same as hotels when traveling, with the benefit of the house coming along with us.

That’s exactly what it became for us unless we boondocked, as Tom mentioned. A towable hotel room a lot more organized the way we wanted it and no luggage to lug around. And of course your own bed, and no bedbugs. LOL

Probably has some marginal benefits now due to Ye Olde Virus running around. Sister has a friend who’s selling out of some pretty crappy built RV trailers in the low end market right now consistently at a local dealer, and low inventory on more expensive stuff. Market is hot. Be careful of poorly assembled stuff if you go new for some reason.

We liked it but not enough use. The other thing was eventually sitting out here it was going to get destroyed by hail no doubt. The mistake there was not building a barn big enough to put it inside of. If I could have sheltered it from UV and hail, it might have still been here until I could t drive the Dodge and maybe even after that if I had swapped into a newer dually with automatic. Not sure how that would have gone, but it worked out fine the way it went.

And even though Covid has gotten literally every bored neighbor to build their put-off barn projects this summer out here and even three new houses, I keep avoiding the barn idea because I know what I do with barns. Fill them with crap I do not need to be keeping or projects that never get finished! Hahaha.

Was fun to watch the normal basement/top prefab house go up. Two weeks and it’s done other than landscaping. Even did the driveway but he needs rocks or paving still.

New owner doesn’t know they screwed up putting the garage and driveway east facing angled slightly southeast though. House is going to pile the northwest winter blizzard drifts right in front of his garage.

LOL. I see snowblowers and big ones in his future! :)

Anyway... where it’ll park and if it’s covered would factor heavily into my decision to buy whatever we buy next. I don’t think you guys get quite the hail we do, but I know you’re in the general weather pattern of that silliness. :) We has insurance and such (which was hard to get at reasonable prices for the dollar value of the trailer!) but dealing with claims and RV repair places and towing it 30+ miles to one to get it fixed, is just a pain.

You’d probably do a lot of repairs yourself, and I was also, when I could. Nowadays I’m not getting on any RV roof for anything unless it was mission critical to batten down something needed to tow it to a repair place to finish it.

I always thought a converted city bus would make a cool RV.

b4c01042a5b86dc1c7f3cb62c83846ef.jpg

Here’s another question for RVers, has anyone found that destinations have closed up under the current conditions? Obviously a risk.

Here’s another question for RVers, has anyone found that destinations have closed up under the current conditions? Obviously a risk.
Wa. State has closed half the camp sites social distancing but they are open.

except when you try to park it in a campground.

Except I don't camp where others go to camp.

But then an Rv can't go there anyway, so we are back to sleeping under the stars, with no neighbors within gunshot range.

Similar to Tom with forced distancing by closing sites too close to one another, but CO had State stuff completely closed for a while.

With the sudden popularity and having seen people stay up until 00:01 on particular nights to even book Federal stuff in normal years, far in advance, I suspect reservations are a tad scarce anywhere even remotely popular.

Many State locations here were terminating basic sanitary services like restrooms and trash collection for a while also. Pack it in, pack it out. Didn’t see specifics on dump stations during that period but I suspect they were closed.

Got yourself a poo hauler you can’t empty, if you don’t install a dump into the septic at home, perhaps. LOL!

Or you could do like Cousin Eddie. LOL.

YMMV. But yeah, more stuff to check before rolling out.

Maybe with all the suddenly new RVers, the chances of capturing a viral video of a poo-pocalypse at the dump station has risen some, and making a couple thousand bucks off of it on YouTube will at least pay the gas money for the trip! Hahaha.

Hint: We did dump outs a number of times for a few bucks at truck stops so equipped. Always cleaner and less used than the “free” ones at campsites that didn’t have full hookups. Any “accidents” the staff actually had a reason to clean up the place since they were usually right in one of the gas islands.

Same held true for private campgrounds. A real reason for staff to keep things cleaned up. But not as cheap as government locations in parks and usually more crowded.

Pick your poison! LOL.

Tom’s suggestion of WalMart really isn’t bad in some areas. The policy is now that it’s up to the stores though. They had so many people living at our suburban store before we moved out here that they eventually closed it for all. I always used to shop there really late because I’m a night owl, and why shop with crowds, ever...? So... I always looked to see what people had for gear/vehicles late at night.

The guy who had the “stealth” van decked out to look like an electrical company Van was kinda cool. If he’d have sealed up the gap in his front curtains a bit better, it wouldn’t have been noticeable he was in there watching TV. :) He even had the sun shade in the windows to hide the blackout curtains behind the seats. Just didn’t quite get them sealed right. :)

There’s always *someolace* to go, even with a big rig. We rarely couldn’t find a reasonable place somewhere, even if we weren’t sure of driving schedule and started looking ahead on the phone apps around noon. But it was better to plan it ahead and hunt down some reviews and site photos.

One private place in Iowa I think... said they had long pull throughs. They did. Problem was, the photos were of the ones when they weren’t full. When full, overflow was essentially on a cliff. LOL.

We managed to get the rig in there but good thing we were only staying one night and didn’t need to unhitch and the tilt was toward our feet. Couldn’t have leveled it if we tried. Exiting the steps was a two foot drop, then if you missed that, you were going for a long tumble through other “tiered” sites below you. Haha.

At least the camp host said I drove up there and into it well, without having to back the entire rig down the hill and try again. Sounded like that was pretty common. LOL.

They charged us a little less for the privilege of cliff dwelling for a night. No complaints. Better than the one private place that took a reservation for a spot they didn’t have.

Ahh you’re in for such fun adventures if you decide to do it... :) We took all the RV silliness in stride. There’s plenty of it!

It was worth it to bring the big pups along. You have human pups so that’s good there too. :)

Just know... Cousin Eddie truly is out there. And sometimes he’s the campground owner instead of the neighbor. LOL! :) :) :)

Back in March, when there were stay at home orders, several jurisdictions in Texas prohibited new park ‘residents’ and if you decided to leave, you couldn’t come back.

Look under the Port Aransas (yes, Jay Honeck’s Port A) for an example.
https://www.caller.com/story/news/l...-home-orders-coronavirus-covid-19/2916704001/

I don’t know how many counties still have orders like this in place.

Here's the RV camping page for Yosemite. Looks like 40' is the max length, and there are only 8 spots available in the park. I know that camping, and even getting into the park (since covid) is by reservation. One of the things I have wondered about when traveling by RV is what you do once you get there are want to go somewhere for a short time. Do you tow another vehicle? Take bikes, either pedal or engine powered?

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rvcamping.htm

Couple items...When we are freewaying it we are intending to get long miles each day.
Good Sam Travel guide gives all the campgrounds in the nation. we have cell phones, we call ahead and make reservations when we need an space for the night.
Motorhome method of travel allows us to vary the route as we please.

We like to do places where we can fish, gold pan. and the coach gives a better venue to that.

For the near future our Travel will be speed runs to the east Coast.

One of the things I have wondered about when traveling by RV is what you do once you get there are want to go somewhere for a short time. Do you tow another vehicle? Take bikes, either pedal or engine powered?

Some cars can be 'flat towed' on all 4 wheels. They are attached to the RV with a towbar and usually you install a brake actuator. Known as a 'toad'. The other option is a tow dolly (for automatic FWD cars that have transmissions intolerant to towing).

Occasionally you'll see a dirt-bike or scooter on a hitch mounted carrier.

Last edited:
Here's the RV camping page for Yosemite. Looks like 40' is the max length, and there are only 8 spots available in the park. I know that camping, and even getting into the park (since covid) is by reservation. One of the things I have wondered about when traveling by RV is what you do once you get there are want to go somewhere for a short time. Do you tow another vehicle? Take bikes, either pedal or engine powered?

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rvcamping.htm
2018,, we parked at the big old faithful big parking for 2 days to explore with the jeep.
we asked about over night parking and it was OK then
The ranger said as log as we were not camping we were OK.

I know folks who have Class A RVs and they love it. They tow their Jeep and drive that wherever they need to go. It works for their lifestyle and it most certainly is a very comfortable setup.

For me, I am contemplating the Winnebago Revel, but a used one so I can rip out the AGM batteries and install a Lithium system and ProAir 12V Air Conditioner so that the coach can have AC for 10 hours at a time running off batteries. Then a 2nd alternator added to the Sprinter's engine to recharge the batteries after 3 hours of run time (much faster than the solar panels.)

The thought of a 4x4 Sprinter with 144" length appeals to me as it's easily drivable wherever you need to go. The size of a full size pickup, so normal spaces are no issues, yet the 4x4 to get to some places that others can't (so you really can boondock further away from other folks.) Plus a rear "garage" that, with the GLSS system, can be a lounge, but also a place to hold eBikes and the like in case riding into town is desired.

Some cars can be 'flat towed'. They are attached to the RV with a towbar and usually you install a brake actuator. Known as a 'toad'.
Occasionally you'll alsosalso a dirt-bike or scooter on a hitch mounted carrier.
Not all TOADs are towable, you must be able to free wheel in some manner, other wise you must get the car off the ground some how.
We simply place the transmission in park, and the transaxle to Neutral connect the towbar and lights and go.
To tow you must comply with the state laws, the weight is considered also as too how much weight you can carry. lights are is also are a requirements. STATE LAWs of the state that the towed vehicle is the rule.
the big rule is speed, any vehicle in combination has speed limit, each is if different.
Wa. 60MPH / Ca. 55MPH/Idaho 65. /Mt 80 in places

My coach weights 27,000# empty, I can carry 33,000# plus 10,000# load that is the legal limits given on the cassis data tag. No state can exceed that.

all towed vehicles must have running lights on any vehicle. how and where is up to the State.

I know folks who have Class A RVs and they love it. They tow their Jeep and drive that wherever they need to go. It works for their lifestyle and it most certainly is a very comfortable setup.

For me, I am contemplating the Winnebago Revel, but a used one so I can rip out the AGM batteries and install a Lithium system and ProAir 12V Air Conditioner so that the coach can have AC for 10 hours at a time running off batteries. Then a 2nd alternator added to the Sprinter's engine to recharge the batteries after 3 hours of run time (much faster than the solar panels.)

The thought of a 4x4 Sprinter with 144" length appeals to me as it's easily drivable wherever you need to go. The size of a full size pickup, so normal spaces are no issues, yet the 4x4 to get to some places that others can't (so you really can boondock further away from other folks.) Plus a rear "garage" that, with the GLSS system, can be a lounge, but also a place to hold eBikes and the like in case riding into town is desired.
Lots of folk are going that. I just converted to 2 200 lithium AH batteries, and installed 380 watts of solar.
Winnebago Revel, better read consumer reports,, not good.

join
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/newest.cfm
a wealth of info.

Remember when you are towing a vehicle flat down you can not back up.. this is why we like to load the trailer.

For believers
watch

Last edited:
Back