Thinking About a Boat

Yeah, it sounds pretty certain that I was in too deep. We're probably going to the lake tomorrow again, so that'll give another opportunity to practice. I'll just need to fix my side board first. :redface:

Yeah, it sounds pretty certain that I was in too deep. We're probably going to the lake tomorrow again, so that'll give another opportunity to practice. I'll just need to fix my side board first. :redface:

You'll do that a lot, eventually you'll be fixing the hull where you punch the bracket through lol. I've fixed more of those than I can count, same for the 'goal post' brackets. Just like training wheels on a bike, they cause more problems than they cure.

Part of the lease for my repair shops at two marinas is that we launch/retrieve the dry storage boats. I launch/retrieve a lot of boats every week.

A good starting point for trailer depth with this boat should be 1-2" under the surface (where the surface would be in calm water if it is not calm) of the water with the highest point on the fenders. As Henning said you should be driving/winching it on, if it just floats all the way to the bow stop you are to deep.

James

Part of the lease for my repair shops at two marinas is that we launch/retrieve the dry storage boats. I launch/retrieve a lot of boats every week.

A good starting point for trailer depth with this boat should be 1-2" under the surface (where the surface would be in calm water if it is not calm) of the water with the highest point on the fenders. As Henning said you should be driving/winching it on, if it just floats all the way to the bow stop you are to deep.

James

Agreed.....

The trailer is designed to "self center" as you winch it on.... There is a reason the rollers are V shaped.... If you try and float it on, and it gets cocked,, it will stay cocked on the trailer...IMHO

Well, even with doing it wrong, it seemed like it worked better with them. We'll try again tomorrow doing it right.

Well, even with doing it wrong, it seemed like it worked better with them. We'll try again tomorrow doing it right.

Cool, just remember, throttle is your friend climbing the trailer, I have been full throttle more than once doing it.;)

Cool, just remember, throttle is your friend climbing the trailer, I have been full throttle more than once doing it.;)
not just climbing the trailer. If the ramp is slimy and you're towing with a 2wd truck, often you need to use the boat to help the truck tires reach better footing.

not just climbing the trailer. If the ramp is slimy and you're towing with a 2wd truck, often you need to use the boat to help the truck tires reach better footing.

I mentioned that early in the thread.;) Lots of times I'm pushing the truck up the ramp and don't shut down until the props spin dry. Fun with 3-1250hp engines.:rofl:

4x4 truck, so far no problems.

Off to the lake in a bit to try again. :)

Yeah, you're in flatland with 4x4, you should have no problems. The ramps on Lake of the Ozarks, some of them are pretty steep.:lol:

Try some of them out here on the Delta. Most are reasonable, but some are just down the side of the levee and you need a tractor to launch. Many ordinary 4x4s can't do it with the slime on the ramp. The very few times I've used those ramps I just let the guys with the tractors do it.

Try some of them out here on the Delta. Most are reasonable, but some are just down the side of the levee and you need a tractor to launch. Many ordinary 4x4s can't do it with the slime on the ramp. The very few times I've used those ramps I just let the guys with the tractors do it.

Yeah, I lived on Bradford Isle for a while and had a assist/tow boat business. I used to run in and out of Honker Cut and IIRC they had a big winch truck to get people out with.

The highest point of the fenders 2" under worked great. On and off was a breeze, I felt like it looked as though we almost knew what we were doing. We did wait for a less busy time to get back on the trailer, but it went really easy. We won't bother buying the goal posts, but I did order new speakers and also need to order a new boat cover.

Not to mention new shocks with the truck - towing the boat exaggerates how dead the ones on there are now.

OK, you know how it works on that incline, which is good. But remember, many ramps are different. The ones in the midwest seem to be the shallowest, and the ones more out west seem to be the steepest. I really don't know why that is, but it sure seems true.

For shocks, I'd go with the old standby, Gabriel HiJackers. Yes, I know they are the industry joke, but the pnuematic ones generally work fine, and can adjust the ride quite well. I had them on a Durango, and was surprised how well it worked to keep the towing car level. Go to the Gabriel website and find the application for your car.

Next, it's pretty important to insure you are not submerging your differential vent. Most car makers got smart on SUVs and trucks and mounted the differential vent up on the body underside with a flex hose down to the diff housing. If you have this setup, you're ok. If you don't, and you submerge the diff, cool water will ingress to the hot diff when it goes in the water and will destroy your diff. Check it, and make sure. Not a bad idea to have your diff fluid changed this fall after boat season is over.

If you feel more adventurous, next trip out maybe think about going down to Cumberland lake. It's quite beautiful and not too far away. Looks like about 3.5 hours towing, but worth the trip.

If it were me, an outside boat cover would be made of canvas, with an inner liner of Sunbrella. But, it's a lot of work, and time to make something that will really last. Since you have a common boat, you should be able to get a cover from Overton's marine supply. Warning, when you shop Overton's, you'll prolly wind up buying a half dozen other gadgets that look cool. :yes:

http://www.kentuckytourism.com/outd...onalpark/cumberland-point-recreation-area/77/

Last edited:
It doesn't look like the Gabriels are available for the Avalanche. I was going to put on the yellow Bilsteins. A lot of people are reporting putting helper air springs on the Avalanches when towing. Since it needs new shocks anyway, figure I'll just try that first before adding anything else and go from there. There's not a great deal of tongue weight, and the back end of the truck doesn't lower much when putting the trailer on. Mainly, it's just shocks that you can tell are dead without a trailer. I might think about a bigger transmission cooler before next season, though. Or else just let it explode and put in a 5-speed. :D

Good point on the differential vent. I likely have submerged it, and it's about time to change the fluid anyway. I'll do that sometime after I've got my car back together.

I'll check out Overton's for a new cover.

I think we're going to stick to Brookville Lake at least for the rest of this season, and probably for next season, as well. Aside from being a nice location, the close aspect is a large part of what we're going for. It's one hour from truck starting to in the water, and that's most of the goal. Get to make some noise and go around, then park and just enjoy the water. :)

Yeah, I lived on Bradford Isle for a while and had a assist/tow boat business. I used to run in and out of Honker Cut and IIRC they had a big winch truck to get people out with.

Did you enjoy your time here? I love it here nearly as much as the Caribbean. I'm seriously thinking that when I finally retire, I'm going to need a fresh water home and a salt water home. Maybe here in the summer and the Keys in the winter. A bicoastal disorder.:yes:

Did you enjoy your time here? I love it here nearly as much as the Caribbean. I'm seriously thinking that when I finally retire, I'm going to need a fresh water home and a salt water home. Maybe here in the summer and the Keys in the winter. A bicoastal disorder.:yes:

Water is too cold in California.:(

It doesn't look like the Gabriels are available for the Avalanche. I was going to put on the yellow Bilsteins. A lot of people are reporting putting helper air springs on the Avalanches when towing. Since it needs new shocks anyway, figure I'll just try that first before adding anything else and go from there. There's not a great deal of tongue weight, and the back end of the truck doesn't lower much when putting the trailer on. Mainly, it's just shocks that you can tell are dead without a trailer. I might think about a bigger transmission cooler before next season, though. Or else just let it explode and put in a 5-speed. :D

Good point on the differential vent. I likely have submerged it, and it's about time to change the fluid anyway. I'll do that sometime after I've got my car back together.

I'll check out Overton's for a new cover.

I think we're going to stick to Brookville Lake at least for the rest of this season, and probably for next season, as well. Aside from being a nice location, the close aspect is a large part of what we're going for. It's one hour from truck starting to in the water, and that's most of the goal. Get to make some noise and go around, then park and just enjoy the water. :)

The Bilsteins are good, if you need ride height help, look at the air bags. The problem I always saw with air shocks is that shock absorber mounts aren't made to take weight.

Yeah, I think I'll just order the Bilsteins and then see what it does. Most people seem to add air bags if necessary to the Avalanche.

But a 383 would be nicer than the 5.3. Actually a Duramax (Duralanche?) would be better still, but I'm not paying that price penalty.

Edit: I'm not paying the price penalty for a 383 either, especially with a 5.3 that's running well, but it's fun to dream.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'll just order the Bilsteins and then see what it does. Most people seem to add air bags if necessary to the Avalanche.

But a 383 would be nicer than the 5.3. Actually a Duramax (Duralanche?) would be better still, but I'm not paying that price penalty.

A Diesel would be nice in an Avalanche, but I'd want a modern light one. The Chassis and suspension is kinda light to be dealing with a big iron one. I was always surprised that we didn't get the Mercedes Diesels in the Mopar products during the Daimler Chrysler days, that was one of the things I hoped would happen that didn't pan out. Never understood why.:dunno: They use them in Freightliner products they build here. Opel has some good Diesels, never understood why GM hasn't brought them over. Why do American vehicles have to get less than half the mileage of the counterparts overseas?

Last edited:
A Diesel would be nice in an Avalanche, but I'd want a modern light one. The Chassis and suspension is kinda light to be dealing with a big iron one. I was always surprised that we didn't get the Mercedes Diesels in the Mopar products during the Daimler Chrysler days, that was one of the things I hoped would happen that didn't pan out. Never understood why.:dunno: They use them in Freightliner products they build here.

Because automotive diesel emissions levels in america are difficult to the point of being punitive to diesels. The few that are sold make substantial mileage concessions compared to their european twins.

US regulations were the reason, especially emissions. I'd agree a lighter diesel would be nice. I'm actually surprised how well overall the truck does. I put in heavy duty towing brakes when I did them last (because I like brakes) and it has upgraded anti-roll bars, but I was still unsure. I suspect once I do the shocks and get the trailer brakes working right it'll be just fine. However I'm sure it will reduce the life of the transmission, so a bigger cooler might be on the list for next season.

Because automotive diesel emissions levels in america are difficult to the point of being punitive to diesels. The few that are sold make substantial mileage concessions compared to their european twins.

Emissions standards in Europe are tougher than the US, many if not most here are Diesel.:dunno:

US regulations were the reason, especially emissions. I'd agree a lighter diesel would be nice. I'm actually surprised how well overall the truck does. I put in heavy duty towing brakes when I did them last (because I like brakes) and it has upgraded anti-roll bars, but I was still unsure. I suspect once I do the shocks and get the trailer brakes working right it'll be just fine. However I'm sure it will reduce the life of the transmission, so a bigger cooler might be on the list for next season.

Bigger tranny cooler sure wont hurt.

People did Duramax conversions on the 3/4 chassis Avalanches when they were available, just like they still do to the suburbans. I looked into it, but the price is just crazy expensive. I own both a Duramax truck and a Denali with a 6.2. In all honesty the 6.2 is a far better choice, quiet, very powerful, regular pump gas, good mileage. Compared to the 5.3 the diesel is very attractive, compared to the new 6.2 it really isn't needed.

Emissions standards in Europe are tougher than the US, many if not most here are Diesel.:dunno:
no, they aren't. we build diesels for both markets. European emissions are a cakewalk.

People did Duramax conversions on the 3/4 chassis Avalanches when they were available, just like they still do to the suburbans. I looked into it, but the price is just crazy expensive. I own both a Duramax truck and a Denali with a 6.2. In all honesty the 6.2 is a far better choice, quiet, very powerful, regular pump gas, good mileage. Compared to the 5.3 the diesel is very attractive, compared to the new 6.2 it really isn't needed.

Good data point. If/when the 5.3 goes out, I had figured on doing a stroker. And while I joke about a 5-speed, if the 4L60E goes out I'll just have it rebuilt with tougher internals.

The extra cooler is probably a good idea. I do know on my Town Car when I did the extra cooler I went too big and it would never lock up - fluid never got warm enough. The Avalanche doesn't seem to connect trans temp to lockup.

Not for diesels. Here we have to have particulate filters. You see, diesel particulate causes asthma in inner city children.:rolleyes: The emission standards are the reason why we don't have small turbo diesels here yet, but they are coming little by little. However, like was pointed out, they are not as fuel efficient, or maintenance free as their over seas versions.

Water is too cold in California.:(

The ocean, yes indeed. However, the Delta and a lot of lakes are in the 80's all summer long. We'll be swimming here until October, then start again in May. I do get your point though.

The ocean, yes indeed. However, the Delta and a lot of lakes are in the 80's all summer long. We'll be swimming here until October, then start again in May. I do get your point though.

Diving in the Delta is diving by Braille for the most part.:rofl:

Ted, you already have small children, a plane, and now a boat. Those 3 items each require constant tinkering to keep running right. Don't add modifying tow trucks to that list. Your truck will pull that boat just fine as-is. Heck, here you see ford rangers and toyota hilux's pulling bigger boats than that.

Your truck will pull that boat just fine as-is. Heck, here you see ford rangers and toyota hilux's pulling bigger boats than that.

Not in the states!:) We have an unwritten law that an 18' bass boat must be towed by a 1 ton 4x4 diesel, minimum.

Every vehicle I own is modified to some degree. :)

Besides, what I mentioned about the ruck was "when it breaks." Not going out of my way to do it. BMW is on that plan, too. When the 5HP30 explodes in it, it'll get a 6-speed and a clutch.

Of course, it's possible to take the concept of smaller tow vehicles to unhealthy extremes. I only did this to turn it around in our tight driveway. The little VW will pull it, but there is no way it would stop it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• small tow vehicle.jpg
    small tow vehicle.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 86
When I told my mom about the boat, she asked if our BMW would tow it or if we needed to use the truck. So, if we wanted to get to really unhealthy extremes...

When I told my mom about the boat, she asked if our BMW would tow it or if we needed to use the truck. So, if we wanted to get to really unhealthy extremes...
well - my neighbor here has a 28ft center console with twin yamaha 200hp outboards. He tows it with a bmw X5 3L diesel. I'm pretty sure the boat is faster than the bmw in that case

well - my neighbor here has a 28ft center console with twin yamaha 200hp outboards. He tows it with a bmw X5 3L diesel. I'm pretty sure the boat is faster than the bmw in that case

I actually figure that our 740iL would probably do alright towing it as far as acceleration and braking go, but it would need air springs and beefier shocks. Not to mention the fact that the structure to tow 5,000 lbs isn't in that car at all.

Back