Thinking About a Boat

That has not been my experience with jet skis. My wife can get maybe 3-4MPG, but I'm well below that. I ride pretty hard out there.

Right, my question was if you actually went along at a more economical power setting.

Right, my question was if you actually went along at a more economical power setting.

Well, we just use ours to putt around the lake, and go sight seeing, so I don't really calc the fuel economy. My wife drives real conservative, so she does ok, but I can't go for more than an hour without filling the gas tank. Don't forget, they are two strokes, and they have jet drive, so economy isn't high on the totem pole. :D

Well, we just use ours to putt around the lake, and go sight seeing, so I don't really calc the fuel economy. My wife drives real conservative, so she does ok, but I can't go for more than an hour without filling the gas tank. Don't forget, they are two strokes, and they have jet drive, so economy isn't high on the totem pole. :D

How much gas do you hold?

Other option: buy a jetski up here and do a trip of epic proportions.

Ohio River to Mississippi River to Gulf of Mexico to Florida. Yeah, it would be long and slow, but man would it ever be fun!

Jesse, next time you come out here, bring the jetski. Missouri east to Mississippi south to Ohio east should get you here.

If I were to ever do the Great Loop, I'd want a trawler:

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/2013/09/five-affordable-trawlers-under-40-feet/

I travel a lot with my Jet Ski. About 120 miles is a typical day with a group. I have a Kawasaki STX-15F and at an average of about 50 mph (that's about 1/2-5/8 throttle) I get about 7 mpg. My wife has a Honda F12 and it gets better mileage, but it is slower. As long as you have marinas to get gas at, you can travel pretty far. The river ride described above would be no problem. It's the ride along the Gulf that would likely be difficult and/or suck.

I travel a lot with my Jet Ski. About 120 miles is a typical day with a group. I have a Kawasaki STX-15F and at an average of about 50 mph (that's about 1/2-5/8 throttle) I get about 7 mpg. My wife has a Honda F12 and it gets better mileage, but it is slower. As long as you have marinas to get gas at, you can travel pretty far. The river ride described above would be no problem. It's the ride along the Gulf that would likely be difficult and/or suck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are four stroke, with digital FI? In that case, 7MPG sounds doable at fairly high speeds.

I'll check the MPG sometime but my rough guess is that it's somewhere between 4 to 6 based on what I've experienced so far.

Cleaning out the garage for a jet ski project.

Whenever it happens, I'm sure I'll have a new "help!" thread. Wish I lived near some of you folks. I'd buy the beer if ya'll promised to let some of the knowledge rub off. :lol:

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Used jet ski for tinkering, be careful to get a title or very accurate bill of sale, including the sellers real name, drivers lic #, address and phone. If the hull comes back stolen, and you don't have this you can be in a world of hurt. Lots of stolen jet ski in the FL area.

This is a nice comfy ski once it's running well. Seats 2 adults easy, and can take three but not very fast. Good riding hull.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/4549463267.html

Last edited:
Used jet ski for tinkering, be careful to get a title or very accurate bill of sale, including the sellers real name, drivers lic #, address and phone. If the hull comes back stolen, and you don't have this you can be in a world of hurt. Lots of stolen jet ski in the FL area.

Thanks, Doc. Scouring Craigslist is evidence of what you're talking about. Lots of "no title" ads. I understand generally what the implications are but hadn't yet given it a lot of thought vis a vis jet skis. My immediately-adjacent neighbor had a jet ski stolen out of their side yard in broad daylight, so I imagine it is rampant.

As far as I'm concerned, without the title I don't truly own it. Right? I'll look for sellers with a title in hand.

Here's the 'needs a starter' blowed up engine kind. Also a good riding hull, and seats three.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/boa/4608890146.html

Some states don't issue title on boat hulls under a certain amount. I don't know about FL or GA. If you don't get a title, get all the sellers info so if there is a problem later, you can point the finger back to the guy you bought it from.

Thanks, Doc. Scouring Craigslist is evidence of what you're talking about. Lots of "no title" ads. I understand generally what the implications are but hadn't yet given it a lot of thought vis a vis jet skis. My immediately-adjacent neighbor had a jet ski stolen out of their side yard in broad daylight, so I imagine it is rampant.

As far as I'm concerned, without the title I don't truly own it. Right? I'll look for sellers with a title in hand.

It depends if the state it's in issues titles for watercraft. Do you get a title to a plane? Can you still own it?

With all this talk about towing, I'm curious what the consensus is on "bearing buddies"? I've heard comments that range from "They're great - they keep water out by keeping the grease in the hub under pressure" to "They're great at blowing out rear axle seals"...
I've been using Bearing Buddies on my boat trailers for more than 40 years and never "blew out a rear axle seal". They work as advertized. When you submerse a trailer axle the water pressure (about 1/2 PSI per foot of immersion) will push water into the bearings past the seals which are not designed to withstand much pressure (if they could they would have to fit so tight that they'd wear out quickly). The BB is nothing more than a spring loaded cylinder you can fill with grease that maintains a couple PSI of pressure in the bearing capsule. It takes the place of the outer seal and the pressure does cause a tiny amount of grease to bleed past the inner seal but other than making the axle a bit dirtier than it would otherwise be there are no downsides.

Cleaning out the garage for a jet ski project.

Whenever it happens, I'm sure I'll have a new "help!" thread. Wish I lived near some of you folks. I'd buy the beer if ya'll promised to let some of the knowledge rub off. :lol:

I would look for the newest 2 stroke with the biggest hull you can find. The 3 seater variety. Something 900-1200cc. They are significantly more advanced than the older 2 seat versions, handle the chop much better, easier to get parts for and your family overall will enjoy it more. Something in the 1998 - 2001 range or there abouts. The old 80's craft you will spend a bunch of time and money on and then out grow in half a season. Unlike airplanes, personal watercraft have continually evolved over time.

I would look for the newest 2 stroke with the biggest hull you can find. The 3 seater variety. Something 900-1200cc. They are significantly more advanced than the older 2 seat versions, handle the chop much better, easier to get parts for and your family overall will enjoy it more. Something in the 1998 - 2001 range or there abouts. The old 80's craft you will spend a bunch of time and money on and then out grow in half a season. Unlike airplanes, personal watercraft have continually evolved over time.

Personally I'd spring the extra for a four stroke.

2 vs 4 stroke would depend on what you want to do. If you're looking at doing the sort of mega-trip I talked about (Cincinnati to Key West via water), then I think a 4-stroke would definitely be better. Otherwise, I'd probably go for a 2-stroke. I might even do a 2-stroke on that route if it's what I already had.

I plan on a 2 stroke, given that my primary concern is a first-time engine rebuild attempt.

I plan on a 2 stroke, given that my primary concern is a first-time engine rebuild attempt.

2 stroke doesn't teach you much though, there's just wrench spinning, no timing work (except ignition), no valve train to assemble... 2 stroke is cheaper though.

I wouldn't let that deter you. 4-strokes are not much harder. I would buy what otherwise seems like a good deal and fits your needs.

2 stroke doesn't teach you much though, there's just wrench spinning, no timing work (except ignition), no valve train to assemble... 2 stroke is cheaper though.

When you're starting from zero, learning a lot is a given. :D

When you're starting from zero, learning a lot is a given. :D

True, but the point is that either will be fine. Don't be scared of a 4-stroke, but a 2 is fine.

Fixing a locked up four stroke will be exponentially more expensive than fixing a locked up two stroke.

Fixing a locked up four stroke will be exponentially more expensive than fixing a locked up two stroke.

Also a good point.

Grab up that one up in Athens. Lake use, no salt I think, has trailer, seats three, decent looking hull, cheap, parts are avail. Offer 4, and tow it home.

Getting the engine in/out of the hull is one of the worst parts of the job. I fought a Yamaha like this for 3 hours by myself once. Found out I'm not alone. There is one, and only one angle and pitch that the engine with cradle will go in the hull. Goofy deal.

True, but the point is that either will be fine. Don't be scared of a 4-stroke, but a 2 is fine.

What's interesting is that I've begun to have a strange desire to tinker with and understand this stuff. I was never exposed to any of this growing up. My Dad was handy around the house but nothing engine-related. I've never had an engine apart. Never even been in the presence of it. I barely know how one works; I have basically a private pilot PTS level of knowledge about engines (read: nothing). I work a white collar desk job.

But a number of years ago the front struts needed replacement on my old Corolla. The dealership quoted me $600 for the job. I called a gear-head buddy of mine on the FL east coast to see what he thought. He looked up the struts in his job's parts system and said the front struts were about $90 for both. Said it was about a 30-minute job. And together we replaced them. And if not for a SNAFU with the rental spring compression tool, it truly would have been a 30-minute job.

And man did it **** me off how much I was getting screwed by the dealership on that job. I mean, I knew there was a big markup, but that is truly ridiculous. And my own ignorance of the machinery I was using was the root cause. So I mark that as the moment that I was ****ed off enough to learn some of this stuff on my own. Now I do my own oil changes, tire rotations, and brake jobs. I've replaced my struts, a thermostat and a drive belt. All easy jobs of course, but for someone who's never done it before there's this mental (and tool acquisition) barrier to get past.

But the inner workings of an engine are still a mystery to me. I need to pull one apart, and that brings us back to this thread: a boat! Though, a little one (jet ski). Seems like they're "simple" engines. The acquisition cost for an old one is bearable for my current budget, and if I can manage to fix it, I've got a fun toy.

Grab up that one up in Athens. Lake use, no salt I think, has trailer, seats three, decent looking hull, cheap, parts are avail. Offer 4, and tow it home.

Getting the engine in/out of the hull is one of the worst parts of the job. I fought a Yamaha like this for 3 hours by myself once. Found out I'm not alone. There is one, and only one angle and pitch that the engine with cradle will go in the hull. Goofy deal.

Thanks for the link. Will take a closer look tonight. Also gotta' get a hitch for my car. Was shopping Amazon Prime last night.

I've always been a gearhead at heart. Growing up without a car in NYC was a significant hardship in my mind. Bought my first car having no tools and no idea what I was doing. Had some good people take me under their wing, and progressed from there.

I think you have the right idea with the jetski project idea.

To defend the shops, there is a markup, but remember that you're paying for a lot of overhead. Dealers charge more than independent shops, but there can be benefits to dealer service. Doing my own work allows me to own nicer and more interesting vehicles than I otherwise would. When I was a mechanic I worked hard to keep customer costs reasonable, but I needed to make a living, too.

But now I find myself wanting a jetski. :)

Thanks. Those look great cosmetically. I'd have to have it shipped from Illinois, though. :yikes: And I think the double jet ski would near the max of the Corolla's 1500 lb towing capacity.

Fresh water and the towing is fine. :)

Or use my garage for fixing the one and I'll keep the other as a usage fee. ;)

Here is my current project. Just bought a rusty boat with a rusty trailer. Driving to the coast to get the rusty trailer tomorrow. Once that project is complete, going back for the boat.

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    149 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 5 (1).JPG
    photo 5 (1).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My son couldn't stand it any longer, he HAD to name our 29 foot center console, which we have owned, un-named for 11 years. It's now "Knot Today" :) Our fishing boat is "The Bounty Hunter" same as our last one, we already had the shirts and hats. :D

Nice boats. I may name this one, though I am going to try to avoid anything with "reel" "knot" or "hooker" :)

Oh wait, how bout ReelKnottyHooker ? :rofl:

There was a charter boat used to run out of Morehead, named "Pelagic". Always liked that name.

Looks like fun. Are you picking it up with a rusty truck?

Here is my current project. Just bought a rusty boat with a rusty trailer. Driving to the coast to get the rusty trailer tomorrow. Once that project is complete, going back for the boat.

Volvo DP drive, good luck. Get a bigger bilge pump too, at least a 2000.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Volvo DP is one of the best drives ever built. It'll take 300HP all day long. Double seals on the lower shaft, better turn radius than the Merc, and it's lighter. Check the shift selector cable latch, and the bellows. If they are ok, change the fluid and run it.

They also corrode like the dickens when people forget to put zincs on it and are 3 times as expensive to replace than any other drive in class. That's why 'good luck. It's either going to be fine or $4000.

Back