Thinking About a Boat

I'm not even sure what the tank size on this is. My thought is I'll fill it up for the first run and just see how it does. Guy said he always ran 93, but that the manual says 89 is fine.

I'm not even sure what the tank size on this is. My thought is I'll fill it up for the first run and just see how it does. Guy said he always ran 93, but that the manual says 89 is fine.

Is your premium ethanol free?

LOL! WAY worse. This boat gets less MPG than a 777.:rofl:

From what I've read, more like around 3 MPG at economy cruise. But still worse than a Navajo. :)

If you can get 89 without alcohol. What pitch is the prop? That will dictate whether you want to run 89 or 93. When you test run it make sure you can make redline RPM. If not you want to reduce pitch in prop until you can and see what you can determine from there. 200 rpm/" should be close to what you can expect to see in change. If you're looking a pulling people out of the water a lot, you might want to pitch a couple inches lower than what you come up with for a good cruise prop.

I don't know what the pitch is on the prop. It does have a new prop in the box with it. Old one has age on it, but the seller recommended that I leave it on, especially being new to boating. Makes sense to me.

I don't know what the pitch is on the prop. It does have a new prop in the box with it. Old one has age on it, but the seller recommended that I leave it on, especially being new to boating. Makes sense to me.

Likely in the 19"-22" range.

We'll see, I'll check it when I get it. Picking up at 9 AM tomorrow, probably put it on the water about 24 hours later. :)

We'll see, I'll check it when I get it. Picking up at 9 AM tomorrow, probably put it on the water about 24 hours later. :)

I say all of us POA'ers "suggest" a name for Teds new boat...

Here is mine....

SS Minnow........ For a 3 hour tour....:yes:...:D.....:rofl:

When you pick up the boat ask the old owner when the water pump impeller was last changed. Mercury suggests that the impeller in the gen I alphas be changed annually. My experience is if being used they can run longer, but would still make it an annual maint item.

Make the temp gauge part of your scan, these impellers take a "set" (rubber impeller ears lose ability to spring back) after sitting unused.
The failure you will normally see when this happens is overheating after idling or running at high speed. The other failure mode for this impeller is to just come apart and pump no water. This boat should have either a 140* or 160* thermostat, if you see over 180* something is not right.

Check out Iboats forums for lots of good info. Be aware that not everyone on that forum knows what they are talking about.

If you are not making the correct wide open throttle rpm make sure the motor is running correctly prior to making prop changes. The W.O.T. rpm operating range should be listed on a red sticker on a valve cover or the flame arrestor cover. You will also find some tuneup info on this sticker.

Hope all goes well.....

I wonder if I will be able to track him on Float Aware. What's your tail number Ted

ted, fyi our boat is about your weight and power. We run a 19in prop with the holes drilled to cavitate the blades, to let it spin up faster pulling skiiers out of the water. It's another trade-off of top speed vs holeshot, but with the size of some of the crap the kids want to pull behind the boat, holeshot is all we're worried about.

I live on a lake near the launch. I cringe at what I see.

""They agreed that not setting the parking brake on the towing vehicle was the most common reason why boaters ended up with their vehicle in the water. This happens more often than any boat enthusiast would like, and it’s painful to watch.""

http://www.boat-ed.com/blog/how-to-prevent-and-manage-a-boat-launch-failure/

My guess is that the boat will be named Sugar Pop

I don't like the boat's name, but I've heard it's in bad form to change a boat's name.

I don't like the boat's name, but I've heard it's in bad form to change a boat's name.

No, it's okay, it just requires a ceremony involving copious quantities of alcohol. Which ceremony and which alcohol don't really matter, but typically it's rum and the celebrant is unintelligible so no one ever really knows what the ceremony is about.

No, it's okay, it just requires a ceremony involving copious quantities of alcohol. Which ceremony and which alcohol don't really matter, but typically it's rum and the celebrant is unintelligible so no one ever really knows what the ceremony is about.

That reminds me, I'm going to have to get out my screech-in kit for Jesse.

"Sugar Pop" is taken. I don't like its given name ("Soothing Blue"). I'm open to suggestions.

On Plane

Bit of a double meaning, considering. Best I got so far.

Actually, that's a pretty decent one. I like it. Keep them coming! :)

I was also thinking about "No Insurance"

Wake Turbulence
Stickin' Rudder
Wrecked 'Em (oof, too juvenile)
Keelin' It

Memphis Bail :lol:
Hardcore Prawn
Laminar Flow
Naturally Basspirated
Lake Buccaneer

my opinion, little boats with state registration letters don't deserve names. We've never named a boat.

my opinion, little boats with state registration letters don't deserve names. We've never named a boat.

Usually once they have a cabin they get a name, but yeah, unless you document it, there's no need to name it at all.

Just picked it up and got it home. Truck tows it just fine. Talked with the guy for probably an hour, he gave me a bunch of tips and thoughts for things to do next season, plus some boating gear to get us started. Really a nice seller.

Tomorrow, we boat!

Anyone got "beernoulli" yet?

(What makes a boat float? The beer-noulli effect.. )

My son couldn't stand it any longer, he HAD to name our 29 foot center console, which we have owned, un-named for 11 years. It's now "Knot Today" :) Our fishing boat is "The Bounty Hunter" same as our last one, we already had the shirts and hats. :D

Last edited:
We took the boat on the water for the first time today. Amazingly, we found few issues. I've got a small list, but really it all worked well. The plane ice AC works well in the boat cabin, but forward motion with the cabin panel open provides plenty of ventilation. Seems pretty efficient, too, we barely made a dent in the fuel tank. We'll easily make it through the year on the gas we have.

Really, the only thing that will take some more practice was getting it on the trailer. It would be helpful to have goal posts as a newbie. It took a couple tries, then we found out one of the rollers flopped 90 degrees over, so we had to put it back in the water and do it again. With practice it will get easier - just like landing a plane.

We all had a great time. Undoubtedly it will take a few more trips out to get the hang of things, and figure out exactly the setup we like. I think we'll try to have some friends with boating experience come out with us on the next couple trips. Having Jesse was extremely helpful, especially with the trailer.

Oh, and I should put more sunscreen on my face. :)

Back