Thinkin' about putting a deposit on an IFD 440

I completely agree with Unit74. And if you've never used the Flight Stream 210 while flying IFR then you probably can't appreciate it's functionality. If you're a guy who doesn't use an iPad while flying then you're not one of the pilots the FS 210 is geared towards. To each his own, I can respect that. But to say he's not playing the game right, no, he's probably playing a different kind of game.

No disagreement that it provides function and is cool, however for people proficient with IFR and GNS boxes, it's probably only about $500 worth of value.

Game changer?

Going from no ILS capability to ILS capability is a game changer.

Having a good autopilot for single pilot IFR, game changer

Going from a standard nav head and vac DG to a EHSI, game changer

Going from a normal 430 to a W and being able to shoot LPV, etc and having the complementary vnav for many approaches, game changers.

Being able to enter a way point with a keyboard vs knob, just a slight convenience

Last edited:
Ford vs Chevy but I happen to feel that the Ethernet interface of a GDL88 to the GTN is pretty slick. Another plus is that both of them have their own cooling built-in and it's monitored so if the fans fail it will warn you.

GTN uses single input for nav & GS eliminating extra coax behind my panel. The connectors supplied with the gtn are great and will make future harness maintenance or alterations much easier.

Each radio has pluses and minuses.

You can literally fly yourself into the poor house trying to keep the latest greatest tech.

You know it would have been nice if Garmin had hinted beforehand that they were going to come out with the GTN series right after we installed our 430W.

And I agree, not making them slide in replaceable was just ignorant. Or very calculated, I don't know which.

430w has three d-dub connectors with a total of 134 contacts in them.

650 has four d-sub connectors with a total of 210 contacts in them.

More interfaces = more contacts.

You can literally fly yourself into the poor house trying to keep the latest greatest tech.

I just want to replace my 18 year old technology (The 430 was introduced in 1998!).

You know it would have been nice if Garmin had hinted beforehand that they were going to come out with the GTN series right after we installed our 430W.

And I agree, not making them slide in replaceable was just ignorant. Or very calculated, I don't know which.

The GTN series came out right before I picked up my 182 with my new 430W!

I just want to replace my 18 year old technology (The 430 was introduced in 1998!).

Aviation isn't like cars or cell phones.

The 18Yr old GNS WAAS shoots all the same stuff as a 2016 WAAS box you buy, so yeah you got a newer box, but capability wise you're at the same place as when you started, old WAAS box to new WAAS box wise.

Aviation isn't like cars or cell phones.

The 18Yr old GNS WAAS shoots all the same stuff as a 2016 WAAS box you buy, so yeah you got a newer box, but capability wise you're at the same place as when you started, old WAAS box to new WAAS box wise.

Oh I couldn't disagree more. Efficiency increases capability to some degree IMHO.

Oh I couldn't disagree more. Efficiency increases capability to some degree IMHO.

Just familiarity, I'll give you that the 430 interface could be a little more intuitive, but once you sit down with it and get the buttonology down you can be quite quick with it.

I don't mean to stand between and man and a reason to spend money, god knows our economy needs spenders, just don't blow too much smoke, there's no shame and nothing wrong with just wanting a new toy or gadget.

I've got both a 530W in my 182 and 650/750 in my 425, I like the GTN better, but I wouldn't call them more efficient. :) I'm not a gadget person, I'd be OK using the GNS technology from now on. ;)

If I were flying IMC a lot, I would want an Aspen or something with synvis.

Maybe it's just me, but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

I've had spatial disorientation and it's the most unsettling feeling and will make you crap your pants. Fighting every instinct you have and focusing on the instruments is one of the toughest things I've ever endured.

Back