Things that have spoiled you

Their radar also has many limitations. One example is Albuquerque center. Due to the terrain, there is some stuff that ZAB radar simply can't see.

Correct. And, of course, every other radar has limitations as well.

The catch (for me, anyway) is that I typically know more about the limitations of my equipment than of someone else's.

I've had that bad boy out of San Diego drop me three 'pump in a barrel' kits off Turtle Bay once many years ago, they were already warmed up and started first pull. When I got in and returned the pumps with a case of beer I thanked the loadmaster for warming them up. He said "I figured if I'm kicking pumps to you in the ocean, you need them to work." Good thinking. I also thanked the pilot for his aim, he dropped them right off my lee bow.

All 130s in that part of the world are based in Sacremento now, and have been for a while. But we used to "roam" from time to time up and down the coast overnighting at various bases. (Was there for several years) I'm not surprised the P-100s started, it's a matter of pride that our gear works, because when you need it you usually need it pretty bad. Accuracy comes with training, and of course mother nature can help or hinder in that game. Glad things worked out for you!!

All 130s in that part of the world are based in Sacremento now, and have been for a while. But we used to "roam" from time to time up and down the coast overnighting at various bases. (Was there for several years) I'm not surprised the P-100s started, it's a matter of pride that our gear works, because when you need it you usually need it pretty bad. Accuracy comes with training, and of course mother nature can help or hinder in that game. Glad things worked out for you!!

Yeah, big marlin hit the bow of an old wood schooner I was single handing up the coast. He left his bill behind after breaking 2 planks, on in and one out. I didn't notice I was taking on water until the handling got sluggish. I called in, cut the bill out and got a sail around the bow to get me pretty well sealed up. About that time the C-130 was coming into view and kicked me the pumps.

Yeah, big marlin hit the bow of an old wood schooner I was single handing up the coast. He left his bill behind after breaking 2 planks, on in and one out. I didn't notice I was taking on water until the handling got sluggish. I called in, cut the bill out and got a sail around the bow to get me pretty well sealed up. About that time the C-130 was coming into view and kicked me the pumps.

Ah, a fothering sail. Single handing a schooner must be some work.. i'm guessing you were under power? or it had some modern gear

List a few things on the plane that you own/rent that you feel like you couldnt live without if you flew a different plane.

The ability to lift off at less than 50 KIAS. Every time I fly the Arrow II it gives me the willies to still be attached to the ground at highway speeds ;)

Ah, a fothering sail. Single handing a schooner must be some work.. i'm guessing you were under power? or it had some modern gear

Neither, gaff rigged with sweating hooks. It was only a 47'er so it wasn't much. You just grab both halyards at the same time and jump the peak 2:1 with the throat, Once I get both up I put them on their hook and belaying pin to tension the throat then the peak. Head sails are simple.

GPS

Nobody knew what GPS was when I started flying.

Comparing "Diamonds" to an SR20 is misleading since the DA20 & DA42 are so very different in performance and mission than an SR20. Instead, you should look at DA40 fatal accidents vs. SR20 fatals since these planes have similar performance. In particular, you should look at the specific fatal accidents. For DA40s you will find extreme pilot error such as buzzing a lake, CFIT on failed instrument approaches, a guy that flew a plane with no ice protection into the worst blizzard of a brutal winter and a suspected suicide. You won't find any stall spin accidents, landing accidents or mechanical related accidents all of which you will see in the Cirrus accident record. I really like the Cirrus and I am a fan of the chute but a DA40 is a safer plan than an SR20 in VFR conditions if for no other reason than it is more forgiving, less likely to catch fire in a crash and keeps flying at a slower speed so it carries much less energy into an accident.

Now back on topic:

1) Synthetic vision
2) a GFC700 autopilot
3) Only hand flying 15 minutes of my last 200 hours
4) Figuring out how to hook up a DVD player to my MFD for long XCs.

The last two are jokes but I figure as long as I listed 1&2 I might as well fulfill the stereotype.

1) Synthetic vision
2) a GFC700 autopilot
3) Only hand flying 15 minutes of my last 200 hours
4) Figuring out how to hook up a DVD player to my MFD for long XCs.

The last two are jokes but I figure as long as I listed 1&2 I might as well fulfill the stereotype.

It better be, those MFD screens are terrible for watching movies on; they won't letter box and screw up the picture.

Back