Things that have spoiled you

So you admit that the issue is cirrus marketing did a good job of selling the plane?

Interesting....

Fuel tanks too huh,

Guess the fact that they are nearly identical to the tanks in restart Cessnas doesn't apply here.

Fuel tanks too huh,

Guess the fact that they are nearly identical to the tanks in restart Cessnas doesn't apply here.

Difference being the restart Cessnas wings dont shatter on impact and atomize the fuel. Something to do with not being made of plastic.

I figured out what I can't live without. FBO rampies!

(Thread cross-over... LOL!)

Difference being the restart Cessnas wings dont shatter on impact and atomize the fuel. Something to do with not being made of plastic.

No they bend and still spew the fuel all over. Integral tanks + wing damage = massive fuel leaks.

Give it a spark and you burnin:hairraise:

The DA-40 and DA-42 uses a fail safe design to not need a life limit. It has a two spar wing and either spar is strong enough alone to support the airplane. http://www.diamondaircraft.com/why/safety.php

I wouldn't worry about the life limit on the Cirrus. As they get more hours on the fleet they'll have the data they need to extend that. The Glasflugel Libelle, which btw was the first fiberglass aircraft to receive a type certificate in the US, has continually had its life limit increased, it can go out to 12,000 hrs now I believe, which is a lot for a glider.

Tank you for that, guess what, I've been involved with four fires.

All Cessnas. ("hey my plane caught fire can you fix it?") you go riding around with with gasoline the results are a statistic inevitability.

That video show one cirrus with an inflight fire that was caught on tape due to a chute deployment.

The DA-40 and DA-42 uses a fail safe design to not need a life limit. It has a two spar wing and either spar is strong enough alone to support the airplane. http://www.diamondaircraft.com/why/safety.php

I wouldn't worry about the life limit on the Cirrus. As they get more hours on the fleet they'll have the data they need to extend that. The Glasflugel Libelle, which btw was the first fiberglass aircraft to receive a type certificate in the US, has continually had its life limit increased, it can go out to 12,000 hrs now I believe, which is a lot for a glider.

Exactamundo

Tank you for that, guess what, I've been involved with four fires.

All Cessnas. ("hey my plane caught fire can you fix it?") you go riding around with with gasoline the results are a statistic inevitability.

That video show one cirrus with an inflight fire that was caught on tape due to a chute deployment.

Because if a Cirrus catches fire you cant fix it. Says something about the heartiness of a Cessna. Plus I think of all makes there has been something like 80,000 airplanes made.

OK_plane_crash_fire.jpg

I'll fix an engine fire on a cirrus, no problem.

Fix the above.

Yep, sometimes it's not your day to go.

Point being fire is a very real possibility in any plane. I'm no more worried about it in a cirrus than in my Cessna.

It does scare the hell outa me though!

Yep, sometimes it's not your day to go.

Point being fire is a very real possibility in any plane. I'm no more worried about it in a cirrus than in my Cessna.

It does scare the hell outa me though!

I thought I had a fire in a Cessna retract. I had actually just read about that 172RG too. I'm typing on my phone now so I can't post a link to ye thread. It scares the crap out of me, too.

I'll raise you the Cirrus that caught on fire with the pilot stuck inside in Scottsdale.
David, you aren't going to win this based on airframes burnt up. Cirrus may have some design issues....but I guarantee that the NTSB database has far more burnt up 172s than Cirrus products so far.

David, you aren't going to win this based on airframes burnt up. Cirrus may have some design issues....but I guarantee that the NTSB database has far more burnt up 172s than Cirrus products so far.

Because there have been 50,000 made over the course of 60 years.

I take it you're a cardinal driver? The 177RG I did my Commercial in will always have a special place in my heart. The 177 is a great plane. If only it had more power.

Out of all the 200 HP singles, the Cardinal RG is my choice.

Air conditioning and altitude pre-select.

I know I always remember they are still in my pocket after I'm strapped in, primed and ready

Yes, these are different accidents, but.... here are consecutive frames clipped from a security camera capturing a Cirrus crash.

Note the tank shattering and rupturing on frame 3. No editing was done.

temp1b.jpg

temp3l.jpg

Here's a Diamond crash. Some leakage. No splash / atomization.

15270365_BG2.jpg

Look at the cabin coming apart on that Cirrus, dead on impact. The cabin structure of the cirrus is VERY stout, to break that apart like that, well as you said, very different accidents.

Also one thing to remember when it comes to flammability and fuel is that it isn't the liquid that burns it is the vapors. You could crash two aircraft and the one with less fuel is more likely to be reactive to a spark than the one with more fuel. Given sufficient heat anything can burn. I have seen bricks smoke from a house fire due to the radiant heat given off.

- Fuel totalizer, to back up my tach timing method, in my short-legged plane

- Great "flow" layout for checklist items

- Convertible roof (aka canopy that can be open in flight)

I find this thread funny. Lets put some numbers out there. I'm comparing the SR 20 to both the DA 40 and DA 20 because they have similar missions, training and private owner where as, the SR 22 is rarely used in flight training and is high performance. I'm using the FAA registry for the numbers of planes (this does include N numbered planes in other countries) and NTSB reports from 4/1/2000 to today! Bottom line, no clear cut winner!!!! I will stick with the Cirrus SR 20 as it is more comfortable and has a parachute... just in case!!!!

Diamond: registered # 1085, NTSB reports 70, 12 Fatal: 67 of the accidents were in VMC and of those 8 were Fatal
Cirrus: registered #773, NTSB reports 49, 20 Fatal: 31 of the accidents were in VMC and of those 6 were Fatal.

Back