Things that have spoiled you

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
List a few things on the plane that you own/rent that you feel like you couldnt live without if you flew a different plane.

I used to rent a PA28-161 Warrior that had a slaved HSI and autopilot. I don't have either of those in my PA28-140 Cherokee. It is all old school, hand flying, and constant resetting of the DG. I've rented a couple of C-172's that have had moving map GPS's, which I wish I had, but I'm just glad to have a plane I can use anytime I want.

1. GPS

2. Autopilot (Mine isn't fancy, but looking to upgrade eventually.)

3. XM weather

Don't know if I would call them things I can't live without, but HSIs, working autopilots and digital push button xpdrs are mighty nice.

I've really enjoyed flying in an era with generally reliable engines. ;)

Just get a Garmin Aera with XM weather and you'll have both in any airplane you fly!

A friend of mine just bought one at Sun 'n Fun last week! He said he is looking to do more flying now that he has onboard weather capabilities he didn't before. :D

Garmin Aera and Ipad with foreflight. I quit flying for 15 years. Came back about 6 months ago. Wow have things changed. We have come a long way from VORs and Loran!!

Just tried the Vnav feature on the Aera. Very effective for timing your decent!!

GPS. Nexrad. I think all would agree that good situational awareness is a key safety component, and these two tools have made my recreational flying safer. Oh wait..... I'm thinking about my time in Alaska........Enclosed cockpit.:D

Last edited:
List a few things on the plane that you own/rent that you feel like you couldnt live without if you flew a different plane.

Nothing.

Oh sure, the wing leveler and the strikefinder are nice to have, but definitely not in the category of "couldn't live without"

Wings. Everything else is extraneous.

A friend of mine just bought one at Sun 'n Fun last week! He said he is looking to do more flying now that he has onboard weather capabilities he didn't before. :D

Sounds like an NTSB report in the making.

VFR: An airworthy airframe and powerplant. All else is optional. ;)

IFR: Dual nav/com is preferred.

Sounds like an NTSB report in the making.

:rolleyes2: Not necessarily... I think it all depends on how the information available to any pilot gets used. The technologies we have today for our small airplanes are wonderful tools and there is no such thing as too much information in the air. :yes:

A backup AI. For IMC, I just feel so much better flying with a spare AI when compared to a T&B or TC

Moving map and XM Weather (even if just a handheld--my 496 is probably my favorite thing in the plane), engine monitor, autopilot, fuel totalizer

Wells

A backup AI. For IMC, I just feel so much better flying with a spare AI when compared to a T&B or TC

YES! I should have made that #4 on my list. I was even able to sell my old TC to another pilot who needed one to replace his non-functional one.

YES! I should have made that #4 on my list. I was even able to sell my old TC to another pilot who needed one to replace his non-functional one.
Whenever I fly in an airplane with two attitude indicators and no turn & bank or turn coordinator it always feels kind of odd. I miss having the rate of turn information. If it were my choice I don't think I'd give up my turn coordinator for another attitude indicator. I'd happily add another attitude indicator though as long as I could keep the turn coordinator.

Two engines. :D

But, things that are nice-to-have:

1) 3-axis AP
2) EFIS
3) 530W
4) Turbos
5) On-board radar and stormscope (not XM)

Whenever I fly in an airplane with two attitude indicators and no turn & bank or turn coordinator it always feels kind of odd. I miss having the rate of turn information. If it were my choice I don't think I'd give up my turn coordinator for another attitude indicator. I'd happily add another attitude indicator though as long as I could keep the turn coordinator.

See, this was the point of difference which made me choose my plane over another one of similar capability. I have two attitude indicators (one electric and one air-powered), and two DGs (electric slaved HSI and air-powered DG), and also (of course) an S-Tec 30 with turn coordinator.

I likes me some redundancy!

Autopilot with altitude hold.

ANR headsets.

JPI fuel flow/egt/multifunction gauge.

See, this was the point of difference which made me choose my plane over another one of similar capability. I have two attitude indicators (one electric and one air-powered), and two DGs (electric slaved HSI and air-powered DG), and also (of course) an S-Tec 30 with turn coordinator.

I likes me some redundancy!

I am definitely a big fan of having aircraft with dual instruments, and virtually everything I fly these days has a complete set of instruments for the copilot. In the 310, I now have three AIs - the Aspen, the backup vacuum unit right next to it, and the vacuum unit on the copilot's side.

However, if I'm flying an aircraft with only one set of instruments, I'd rather have the set include an AI and Turn Coordinator.

I like the turn coordinator too. Having a standard 6 pack with everything in the same places makes it easy to jump back and forth and fly different planes.

Cirrus!!!! Everything an airplane should be. Active Traffic, Auto-pilot, PFD, MFD, Charts, XM weather, side yoke to free up your lap, ability to charge iPad, 49" wide, and comfortable.

Cirrus!!!! Everything an airplane should be. Active Traffic, Auto-pilot, PFD, MFD, Charts, XM weather, side yoke to free up your lap, ability to charge iPad, 49" wide, and comfortable.

Including the ability to turn you into a crispy critter in an otherwise survivable impact.

Of course, if you want to fly a computer and let your stick and rudder and actual flying skills degrade beyond all recognition then a Cirrus is for you.

How about $3.00 avgas 172 rentals for $40hr WET! I could due with some of that.

I do agree that the fit-and-finish of the Cirrus, as well as the avionics, are quite nice.

Now, please give me those features into an airplane that is made out of real materials, and is actually designed to be as capable as the marketing people at Cirrus want you to think their plane is.

Including the ability to turn you into a crispy critter in an otherwise survivable impact.

Of course, if you want to fly a computer and let your stick and rudder and actual flying skills degrade beyond all recognition then a Cirrus is for you.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Bose a20
430w
second navcom with flipflop

I liked the flight of the SR20 I flew a few weeks ago in San Diego, but for that money, I'd take a 182 with floats.

Back