Things Flight Instructors get Wrong - VOR isn't what you thought, etc.

The last of the A-N ranges in the US (in Alaska) were shut down in the 1970s, with one in Mexico operating into the 1980s. I remember learning about them (mainly as a curiosity) in PP ground school in 1976.

Wow, I was thinking they were gone by the 30's. Remember LORAN?, that hung on long past it's due date too.

I went out of my way on a trip to the Grand Canyon to fly over one of the very last Airway beacons. It was in Western Arizona, somewhere in the mountains. It disappeared from the Sectional chart sometime in the early '80s.

Seriously, the author of the video had a flight instructor who took his time and money to explain why warmer air can have more water vapor?

Last edited:
I had to look up A N radio navigation to see what it was. Amazing what they could do with what they had at the time.

Yeah - that blew my mind!

Love the enthusiasm in the video, not all the explanations. The flat plate generating lift is not the contrapositive to the parcel racing theory since one has to distinguish which coordinate system one is referring to - Eulerian (global) or Lagrangian (chained to the air molecule).

Always though the VOR was just a fixed signal and a rotating signal - the box compares the phase and displays a null based on where you are relative the rotating signal. Today the rotation is synthesized presumably, but once I think there was a spinning antenna inside. An earth indicator compass heading is similar, expect it's always reference to the earth's magnetic field, not a point on the ground. Or so I thought. Who knows, inbound bottom, outbound top...

I wonder if there is anyone still alive that actually used A-N radio ranging to navigate in their early career?

Now that I think of it probably not, they'd have to be like 120 years old by now.

Yes. My Dad. 4 course radio ranges were pretty standard in the 1950s and even into the early 60s. My Dad got his Navy wings in 1950 and flew into the 70s. He turned 96 a few months ago.

Wow, I was thinking they were gone by the 30's. Remember LORAN?, that hung on long past it's due date too.
LORAN was used by ships, originally, and expanded for aviation. They didn't decommission it until almost nobody was using it anymore, especially after the US military stopped introducing error (selective availability) into the GPS signals so as to prevent an enemy from using it to accurately target weaponry. That was in 2000. https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

So, um, is that a fly-by or fly-over waypoint? Maybe it's only for choppers — those could just hover in the cone of silence and sort of pivot onto final. :dunno:

My Dad was flying an SNB (Navy version of the Beech 18). You configured as you came out of the cone of silence for the descent and procedure turn. He came out, dropped gear and flaps, and got the cone of silence. He raised gear and flaps, and came out. Down with gear and flaps, back into the cone of silence. Winds aloft were higher than the speed of the aircraft with gear and flaps, so every time he put them down, he went backwards.

LORAN was used by ships, originally, and expanded for aviation. They didn't decommission it until almost nobody was using it anymore, especially after the US military stopped introducing error (selective availability) into the GPS signals so as to prevent an enemy from using it to accurately target weaponry. That was in 2000. https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/modernization/sa/

But the good part of LORAN, was it was ground based. Harder to mess with.

I probably don't have the charisma to make a living making YouTube videos out of stuff I read on Wikipedia.

Oh man seriously. I can't stand these youtubers anymore. More than 80-90% of them do it for the greed and the supposed money. They all beg for subscribers, free donations. Lie about "I have limited merch only 100 left buy now or suffer from fear of missing out", even though in reality their garbage trash merch with their lazily made free logo that another manufacturer makes for them per order, costs him like $5 to make while the sad mostly gen z followers purchase it for $50 as a sad way to feel like they belong now since they kissed the video creators ass and bought his merch, and now they feel like they aren't alone and have a friend, even though the video creator only cares about the money.

This isn't the worst part though. The worst part is exactly what you mentioned. These creators make videos on topics they don't have a CLUE about nor care about, and just summarize Wikipedia, mistakes and all. Nearly 100% of videos I catch MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE NON STOP by these late millennials and gen z. They have no passion or understanding of the nonsense they copy from other sites or wiki. They just say it and make mistake after mistake throughout, and the sad part is, none of their gen z subscribers ever notice, ever. They think all the info is correct, think the guy cares for them and not the money, and ACTUALLY believe the merch is limited. I will also NEVER respect someone who pays someone money EVERY MONTH some people pay hundreds a month on patreon, just because they have a weird fetish or obsession with the video "creator". Seriously paying a gamer money per month from your parents or your 9-5. Wtf is wrong with kids today. Seriously wow.

Oh man seriously. I can't stand these youtubers anymore. More than 80-90% of them do it for the greed and the supposed money. They all beg for subscribers, free donations. Lie about "I have limited merch only 100 left buy now or suffer from fear of missing out", even though in reality their garbage trash merch with their lazily made free logo that another manufacturer makes for them per order, costs him like $5 to make while the sad mostly gen z followers purchase it for $50 as a sad way to feel like they belong now since they kissed the video creators *** and bought his merch, and now they feel like they aren't alone and have a friend, even though the video creator only cares about the money.

This isn't the worst part though. The worst part is exactly what you mentioned. These creators make videos on topics they don't have a CLUE about nor care about, and just summarize Wikipedia, mistakes and all. Nearly 100% of videos I catch MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE NON STOP by these late millennials and gen z. They have no passion or understanding of the nonsense they copy from other sites or wiki. They just say it and make mistake after mistake throughout, and the sad part is, none of their gen z subscribers ever notice, ever. They think all the info is correct, think the guy cares for them and not the money, and ACTUALLY believe the merch is limited. I will also NEVER respect someone who pays someone money EVERY MONTH some people pay hundreds a month on patreon, just because they have a weird fetish or obsession with the video "creator". Seriously paying a gamer money per month from your parents or your 9-5. Wtf is wrong with kids today. Seriously wow.
You good bro?

mr-krabs-mad.gif

Back