Things Airline Passengers Do

When someone fully reclines thier seat into my ot seems to suddenly cause a fit of sever sneazing right on their head. Not sure why but the always put their seat upright and give me a nasty look. Hey you cant help having allergies , right ????.

No kidding? That must have been you the other day.

The seat pitch in economy on most short haul flights has become ridiculous. Sometimes the person in front of me gets lucky and they assign me an overwing exit row seat, with a bit more space. :)

How do you suggest children under 4 be transported? I don't have kids, and often question why a 2 year old gets dragged to Hawaii, for example (they won't remember it)...but there are situations (grandma lives across the country) where a 3 year old needs to fly...

I can tell you that I was never on a plane under the age of 4. Either leave them home or drive them. Just don't let them cry, whine or fuss next to me on a plane.

Brand new idea. I just thought of this. Parents can risk flying infants and toddlers...but if the kid starts crying the parents owe everyone within earshot $100/person. Everyone's happy. The parents who feel their kids are entitled to bother others can fly their kids and the passengers get a reduced-fare flight. Everyone wins.

What ever happened to that 'seat blocker' gizmo that was in the news a few years ago?

I remember a couple of articles about some fights it had caused. The reclining seat thing has always puzzled me. The seat moves what, 4-5 degrees at most? I don't hesitate to recline my seat, but likewise, it has never bothered me when someone else does. As long as I get my Diet Coke and pretzels and there are no crying babies it's all good with me.

But once we land, my pet peeve is the number of people who will stand up and clog the exit and don't even think about reaching for their overhead luggage until the person in front of them is off the plane. The fact that so many people do that kinda makes me thing that I'm the odd one for expecting people to get their stuff in order asap.

OH! And the people who think their cell phones work better if they yell into them while 100 people are crowded next to them waiting for some moron to get his overhead luggage.

Brand new idea. I just thought of this. Parents can risk flying infants and toddlers...but if the kid starts crying the parents owe everyone within earshot $100/person. Everyone's happy. The parents who feel their kids are entitled to bother others can fly their kids and the passengers get a reduced-fare flight. Everyone wins.

That, or put them in kennels in the cargo hold lol

The days of loading all the kids up in the back of the station wagon and hauling them across the country are over. Now we do the same thing, but packed into a metal tube with strangers.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but one of my pet peeves has always been people from the back lunging towards the front the instant the "fasten seat belts" sign turns off and the plane stops. I pretty much never have carry-on, and can simply get up and walk off; but I'm forced to politely wait for all the other people in front of me to get their carry-on and get off.

Am I supposed to lunge for the front and try to bud past everyone? Are these people late for a connecting flight? I have no idea; but we all want off, someone behind me should wait for me to get off, unless they have a good reason and say "Hey I'm sorry I'm late for a connecting flight, can I please get through here?" Then I'd say "yes".

I sometimes find myself standing in the aisle to stop the surge from behind me trying to get in front of me, should I remain ducked over in my seat. Aren't we supposed to exit the plane in order, front passengers first, unless people remain seated and let people pass them by?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but one of my pet peeves has always been people from the back lunging towards the front the instant the "fasten seat belts" sign turns off and the plane stops. I pretty much never have carry-on, and can simply get up and walk off; but I'm forced to politely wait for all the other people in front of me to get their carry-on and get off.

Am I supposed to lunge for the front and try to bud past everyone? Are these people late for a connecting flight? I have no idea; but we all want off, someone behind me should wait for me to get off, unless they have a good reason and say "Hey I'm sorry I'm late for a connecting flight, can I please get through here?" Then I'd say "yes".

I sometimes find myself standing in the aisle to stop the surge from behind me trying to get in front of me, should I remain ducked over in my seat. Aren't we supposed to exit the plane in order, front passengers first, unless people remain seated and let people pass them by?

SO true. Actually seen people try to run down the friggin' aisle before anyone gets off. Always enjoyed getting up and blocking those clowns. Hehe

Well that's a pretty awful thing to say.

Not at all. If parents wish to abdicate their responsibilities regarding proper child care and etiquette, they shouldn't take their kids out.
They have a service for golf clubs called ship sticks, how about ship little sh*ts?;)

Who hasn't experienced this or similar?

kicking_seat-640x359.jpg

It takes me about three seconds to do a turning leap with the meanest MFin look I own when this happens. The kid's mom is horrified as I slowly say "Eeef you vouldn't mind, I haff anger issues".

That pretty much takes care of things.

Not at all. If parents wish to abdicate their responsibilities regarding proper child care and etiquette, they shouldn't take their kids out.
That's the majority of it...all kids aren't noisy, and it,doesn't matter f it's an airliner, restaurant, or wherever. Some parents don't parent.

It takes me about three seconds to do a turning leap with the meanest MFin look I own when this happens. The kid's mom is horrified as I slowly say "Eeef you vouldn't mind, I haff anger issues".

That pretty much takes care of things.
These days that will just get you duct-taped to your seat and tased on arrival.

I don't understand why no one ever seems to be in a hurry to get the hell off.

What if there were no carry-ons and no overheads? I wonder how quickly a plane would empty out. Half the battle is waiting for someone who can't get their bag unstuck and needs some extra help, then everyone nearby has to move out of the way to avoid getting whacked in the head. And then, once they get that bag down and into the aisle, they spend more time pulling stuff off the floor and off the seat next to them. And then they have to pull that water bottle out of the seat pocket, figure out how to carry and drag it all down the aisle. And then they snag a seatback on the way down the aisle and drop something. And then they have to juggle the phone because there is some important text that can't wait. And then ...

Yeah, it's no fun to be behind "that" passenger.

SO true. Actually seen people try to run down the friggin' aisle before anyone gets off. Always enjoyed getting up and blocking those clowns. Hehe

On an Alaska Airlines flight into Kotzebue, I watched a passenger get out of his seat and start walking towards the front of the plane as the mains were just touching down. As soon as the reversers came on, this guy literally flew to the front of the plane and landed at the feet of the flight attendant.

Funny part was, we deplaned from the rear stairs...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

On an Alaska Airlines flight into Kotzebue, I watched a passenger get out of his seat and start walking towards the front of the plane as the mains were just touching down. As soon as the reversers came on, this guy literally flew to the front of the plane and landed at the feet of the flight attendant.

That was common on Saudia flights in the 90's (maybe still is today).

As soon as the plane touches down everybody gets up. Sometimes the flight attendants wouldn't even bother stopping them - nobody would listen to them anyway.

Thing is when everybody gets up, everybody is deadlocked, and nobody can move until the plane is at the gate. So there's really no point to any of it except to cause injuries when people are flung to the floor.

And I lower my tray table and shove my knees as far as I can through that thin little seatback. Guilt free. :D
I bring it back slow, to give the unfortunate behind me time to see it coming - but if it's built to recline, I'm taking the space, as designed. Every man for himself; I bet I can lean back longer than you can push forward.

I can tell you that I was never on a plane under the age of 4. Either leave them home or drive them. Just don't let them cry, whine or fuss next to me on a plane.

Please explain how parents are to leave their kids at home when there is no one to leave them with?

Our kids have been on airline flights since they were infants. They were lap children until they couldn't be, then we had to buy them tickets. Believe me, much of the time I'd like to leave them at home because they double the cost of traveling, but don't care even a whit about the places that we go (and they mostly won't remember). But either my wife and I never go, or the kids have to go with us.

With that said, my wife and I could never stand the inconsiderate, oblivious parents who let their kids disrupt the peace of others. I honestly don't think they are in the majority, but it only takes one. I've been traveling with my family and subjected to other people's kids coughing in my face, fathers ramming me (intentionally) with their strollers, I've been sworn at, and yes, I've yelled at other people and their kids. When my wife and I had kids, we committed that we would never be THAT person, and we meant it. Our kids have always behaved in public, and the few times that they strayed outside the lines, they were removed and corrected.

I've honestly had more issues with kids in hotels than on flights, and more issues with adults without kids than kids on flights. Of course, it's been a while since I've flown to MCO.

JKG

You know, the airlines could offer child-free sections. Frankly, as a father of a pre-schooler who traveled with me on an airliner once a year as toddler, I actually would welcome such an apartheid. I certainly loathe having to rationalize my need for public travel with my child to some insufferable SINK, DINK or empty nester, like some of the Ricardos that have piped up on this thread already. I think it would be a win win. My understanding is the airlines don't touch it because they don't want to lose seat marketability on the basis of load factors. But it is certainly an idea I think both sides of this impasse would actually support if it gained traction.

You know, the airlines could offer child-free sections. Frankly, as a father of a pre-schooler who traveled with me on an airliner once a year as toddler, I actually would welcome such an apartheid. I certainly loathe having to rationalize my need for public travel with my child to some insufferable SINK, DINK or empty nester, like some of the Ricardos that have piped up on this thread already. I think it would be a win win. My understanding is the airlines don't touch it because they don't want to lose seat marketability on the basis of load factors. But it is certainly an idea I think both sides of this impasse would actually support if it gained traction.
It is indeed unfortunate that you confuse need with desire. Once you can correct that situation perhaps you can adjust your attitude toward other passengers on an airliner. Then again, maybe you can't.

Luigi Ricardo here, DINK, I already support kids via school taxes on my various real estate holdings, and generally like kids. However, elder/child apartheid might not be a bad solution in certain situations. I have witnessed horrendous abuses heaped on unsuspecting diners in restaurants, and passengers on airplanes where spoiled, improperly supervised children run amok wreaking havoc on the peace of other folks.

If I'm sitting in the cabin I spend 90% of the time trying to convince the person sitting next to me that I'm not playing pilot dress up!

Lady last week asked what I did for a living while I'm sitting there in full uniform. When I told her I was A pilot she laughed and said "That's cute. Your a recruiter or something right? You can't be a pilot you're to young".

It was worse when I was 23. I scared people so badly because I looked like a little kid they refused to fly on my flight.

Yeah, i think I remember you, does your mom know you were drinking coffee?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Didn't an airline offer kid free flights one time..?? I think they were late night flights.

I bring it back slow, to give the unfortunate behind me time to see it coming - but if it's built to recline, I'm taking the space, as designed. Every man for himself; I bet I can lean back longer than you can push forward.
And bringing it back slowly is polite. Thanks.

It is indeed unfortunate that you confuse need with desire. Once you can correct that situation perhaps you can adjust your attitude toward other passengers on an airliner. Then again, maybe you can't.[/QUOTE

Got a mirror?

Though I hate putting up with little kids on flights, I find their presence in bars even less tolerable. Then there are the parents who will take their kids to the pub and then get mad at someone for using so-called profane or offensive language around them. Ridiculously stupid.

Though I hate putting up with little kids on flights, I find their presence in bars even less tolerable. Then there are the parents who will take their kids to the pub and then get mad at someone for using so-called profane or offensive language around them. Ridiculously stupid.

Uh huh, so you got call out at the pub, again. You gonna get your ass kicked you cusser you. :D

I have long legs. My knees are not in any way attempting to prevent you from leaning the seat. But I can assure you thru the modern lightweight airline seatback revealed when the tray table is down, you will be infinitely more uncomfortable with my knees shoved into your back than I will. Every man for himself, as you say. ;)

Having said that you are pretty safe from me. I will do just about anything I can to avoid flying commercial airlines anywhere in North America.

Last edited:
Airliner seats are uncomfortable as anything in upright position. When I worked at a pax airline all the seats reclines were adjusted to a very minimum, hardly reclined at all.

Whenever my parents took us young kids on a trip, we were given Dramamine for our car sickness. It made us very drowsy and we would usually sleep during the trip. I always thought it was odd because I've never had motion sickness. Hey, wait minute. I think I was duped!

Last edited:
I try to let the person behind me know I'll be reclining the seat. I have a 2-level fusion in my lower back, and if I have to sit bolt upright for very long, I'm miserable. Just that slightest bit of recline makes a big difference for me.

Back