Things Airline Passengers Do

Luigi Ricardo here, DINK, I already support kids via school taxes on my various real estate holdings, and generally like kids. However, elder/child apartheid might not be a bad solution in certain situations. I have witnessed horrendous abuses heaped on unsuspecting diners in restaurants, and passengers on airplanes where spoiled, improperly supervised children run amok wreaking havoc on the peace of other folks.
Kids are an unfortunate fact of life, especially when they act like coked-up orangutans, and belong to someone else.

What we need are tranquilizer dart armed behavior police to perform parental duties if the parent isn't willing!:p

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but one of my pet peeves has always been people from the back lunging towards the front the instant the "fasten seat belts" sign turns off and the plane stops. I pretty much never have carry-on, and can simply get up and walk off; but I'm forced to politely wait for all the other people in front of me to get their carry-on and get off.

Am I supposed to lunge for the front and try to bud past everyone? Are these people late for a connecting flight? I have no idea; but we all want off, someone behind me should wait for me to get off, unless they have a good reason and say "Hey I'm sorry I'm late for a connecting flight, can I please get through here?" Then I'd say "yes".

I sometimes find myself standing in the aisle to stop the surge from behind me trying to get in front of me, should I remain ducked over in my seat. Aren't we supposed to exit the plane in order, front passengers first, unless people remain seated and let people pass them by?

As soon as the plane stops I'm elbows and knees in the aisle. They ain't getting out until I get out.

I also don't hesitate to pull bags out of my overhead bin and move them or set them in the aisle if there is no space near by. Sorry, but I bring a small carry on and I'm using the space above my seat. I swear some of those "carry on" bags are bigger than my checked luggage. On a flight to MCO this led to verbal comment + resistance by a certain gentleman who wanted to put his bag and hardhat in my bulkhead row overhead.

My last flight was international (A380-800 upper deck Economy). No issues except for the Frenchman next to me who's breath turned after a few hours. Fortunately he didn't speak English so the mouth stayed closed most of the time.

I *think* I heard a crying baby up in there in Business class but I had earbuds or ear plugs in most of the time so no biggie.

I have long legs. My knees are not in any way attempting to prevent you from leaning the seat. But I can assure you thru the modern lightweight airline seatback revealed when the tray table is down, you will be infinitely more uncomfortable with my knees shoved into your back than I will. Every man for himself, as you say. ;)

yeah, Im a big guy (6', 300lbs) and my knees are usually up against the seat in front of me to start. if the person starts reclining, they feel resistance right away. not trying to be an ass, there is just no room. I also never recline my seat. I figure if I don't like it, I shouldn't subject others to it.

My back can't take an unreclined seat for very long. If I tip it back, even just a tiny bit, I can handle about any length flight.

My back can't take an unreclined seat for very long. If I tip it back, even just a tiny bit, I can handle about any length flight.
You are much better than me. I start craving a Xanax after about 2 minutes in an airliner. After that it is a vodka. Good thing I don't fly the airlines much...

Funny how attitudes change. Back in high school I was ashamed to be somewhat short, skinny - kind of geeky.

Now that I'm grown up (especially when I fly commercial) I am very glad I am somewhat small (although larger than when I was in high school) but still kind of geeky.

Back