They walked away

skylanerg

Pre-takeoff checklist
KFOK, Gabreski, Suffolk Co, Westhampton Beach
Display Name

Display name:
harpo
Plane landed on Major Deegan in the Bronx, NY 1 hour ago (3:20 EST). That's real close to Manhattan and only 1 very cold option.

plane2-010414.jpg

article-plane3-0104.jpg

At least they didn't get a prop strike.

Must have been one hard landing,folding the gear . I thought the Cherokee gear was indistructable.

Looks like a lot of trees in that area. Good job by pic for all 3 souls walking away

Wow, that took some skills. Hat's off to the PIC.

-Rich

No gas, no spinning prop.

NY Times story says officials had to remove fuel from the plane before they could remove the plane itself, so it doesn't appear to be a fuel exhaustion forced landing. At least not with that alleged bit of info.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/nyregion/small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-bronx-expressway.html?hpw&rref=nyregion&_r=0

Edit:

"The pilot, whose identity was unknown, made the surprise landing because someone on the small flight “experienced an onboard emergency,” said Nancy Silvestri, deputy press secretary of the New York City Office of Emergency Management."
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/04/22179168-3-injured-as-small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-bronx-expressway

Last edited:
Edit:

"The pilot, whose identity was unknown, made the surprise landing because someone on the small flight “experienced an onboard emergency,” said Nancy Silvestri, deputy press secretary of the New York City Office of Emergency Management."
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/04/22179168-3-injured-as-small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-bronx-expressway

I don't wanna second guess the PIC, but with LGA 14nm south and HPN 20nm northeast, I can't imagine anything other than an engine or mechanical problem (or the PIC being physically unable to fly much longer) that would preclude heading for one of them.

On the other hand, maybe he actually was suffering a physical ailment. :dunno:
Glad they all walked away.

Last edited:
I don't wanna second guess the PIC, but with LGA 14nm south and HPN 20nm north east, I can't imagine anything other than an engine or mechanical problem (or the PIC being physically unable to fly much longer) that would preclude heading for one of them.

On the other hand, maybe he actually was suffering a physical ailment. :dunno:
Glad they all walked away.

Pretty sure that news report is wrong. Doesn't look like the prop was turning.

Pretty sure that news report is wrong. Doesn't look like the prop was turning.

Perhaps. But I'd think hope that the deputy press secretary of the New York OEM would be much more careful in her public statements than your average news reporter.

Last edited:
Perhaps. But I'd think that the deputy press secretary of the New York OEM would be much more careful in her public statements than your average news reporter.

Met many PIOs? They pretty much follow the same bell curve as everyone else. Most good, some rel good, some downright awful. Size of agency/company selects a few more winners but it isn't any guarantee.

Met many PIOs? They pretty much follow the same bell curve as everyone else. Most good, some rel good, some downright awful. Size of agency/company selects a few more winners but it isn't any guarantee.

And the ever-present possibility of a political agenda... ("those small planes should never be flying there, see what could happen"....)

The collapsed gear is the least of his problems,has to explain who the two women pax were. Good luck with that.

Dude must be the unluckiest man in the world. What are the odds your plane develops engine trouble when you have two other women flying around with you? :rofl:

Back