They make it look so great...

I'd think it would be better than most jobs.

There's one thing I envy about flying for living. I bet your boss has never popped into the cockpit in the middle of a flight to ask you to start flying another plane at that very moment.

I'm in IT, I get that all the time, people insisting I stop what I'm doing to work on their project.

This used to work pretty well

876c05ec183624f10cd361f5024dc46f.jpg

There's one thing I envy about flying for living. I bet your boss has never popped into the cockpit in the middle of a flight to ask you to start flying another plane at that very moment.

I'm in IT, I get that all the time, people insisting I stop what I'm doing to work on their project.
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Priorities are pretty straightforward. I once had an argument with my boss because I kept asking which project was highest priority and his response was "all three". "Which one do you want done first?" "All three". "Which one will be the most beneficial to have done" "All three". "Which one would be ok if I got finished a little later than the others" "None". "Okay fine, I need two more keyboards and to learn to type with one foot".

Aviate something worse than the CPP on paper. Send in an application hope you get an interview pass the tech and HR portions, pass the hogan, then keep your nose clean for 2 years. No sick calls after starting a reserve period(hope you don't get sick during those 6 days), no sick calls over a holiday, no sick calls the weeks touching vacation, no failure to be contactable, no sick calls within 4 hours of a trip. If your a reserve captain theres probably sub 25% of the year you can call in sick and not get kicked out of program even with valid docs note.

In 6 months flying the line i've met two captains who made it through the CPP and into the pool. Of qualified pilots we had a 30% percent success rate with the cpp and the way it was administered left a bad taste, people not making it past final review despite meeting all requirements, no communication on anything, hogans not sent out for 12+months at a time. Now to get hit with this "industry leading" program is annoying. Theres even more hoops to jump through maybe it will be better ran with some communication. Literally with the CPP you couldn't even tell if you were in it or not.

I bet they're monitored a lot more closely than I'd care to be.

That has to be the #1 reason most of us left.

I was working on a top-priority project when a new project became the new top-priority, due in 3 months. Using languages and tools I'd never used for a system I'd never worked with. When I mentioned that, I kid you not, my boss spent 3-4 minutes collecting a three foot stack of 3"-5" binders and dropped them on my desk. "Everything you need to know is right here." I finished the project, packed a box, then said he could have my 2 weeks if he wanted it but I was done.

“I can’t print...”

:) :) :)

Well, they do send ACARS messages telling us that we've been reassigned on arrival. Doesn't happen too often, though. And we don't have to go back and finish the originally scheduled flights later.

I don't regret leaving the rat race. What's funny is that I know two of the pilots in that ad... Both former military Aviators...

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Priorities are pretty straightforward. I once had an argument with my boss because I kept asking which project was highest priority and his response was "all three". "Which one do you want done first?" "All three". "Which one will be the most beneficial to have done" "All three". "Which one would be ok if I got finished a little later than the others" "None". "Okay fine, I need two more keyboards and to learn to type with one foot".

Here's my two week notice, now which project do you want me to work on.

Sounds familiar. We've all been there, but...

Ya gotta learn to game it a bit better than that. When the boss is being completely unreasonable, it's okay cheat a little. Try it this way:

Commit to a completion date that is the cumulative of all 3 tasks, and say you'll work them all in parallel, but don't do that. Work them one at a time. That way, you'll finish two tasks "early" and the third on time and be a hero. If you actually work all three at the same time, you'll finish all 3 at the required date, but you will only rate "satisfactory" and won't be a hero.

If you get forced into an over-aggressive promise date, you still work the tasks in series while saying you'll do them simultaneously. You'll be early with one, early or on time with another, and only late with one. You'll be a lesser hero, but still a hero. If you work all three in parallel, you'll be late with all three and seen as a loser.

Control perceptions.

Sounds familiar. We've all been there, but...

Ya gotta learn to game it a bit better than that. When the boss is being completely unreasonable, it's okay cheat a little. Try it this way:

Commit to a completion date that is the cumulative of all 3 tasks, and say you'll work them all in parallel, but don't do that. Work them one at a time. That way, you'll finish two tasks "early" and the third on time and be a hero. If you actually work all three at the same time, you'll finish all 3 at the required date, but you will only rate "satisfactory" and won't be a hero.

If you get forced into an over-aggressive promise date, you still work the tasks in series while saying you'll do them simultaneously. You'll be early with one, early or on time with another, and only late with one. You'll be a lesser hero, but still a hero. If you work all three in parallel, you'll be late with all three and seen as a loser.

Control perceptions.
I learned that lesson watching Star Trek.

Back