"There's no ATC in Phoenix right now ... "

I remember back in the late 70s the Air Force was talking about equipping the CT w/ a bungee type rope. The controllers would evacuate to the catwalk, hook up, and jump. Yikes! Thankfully we never heard anymore about it but we did wonder WTH we would do if a fire started lower in the tower because we'd be trapped up top.

This was at Columbus Timbeck, I the old tower by base ops. Don't know if you used that or the new tower there.

I remember back in the late 70s the Air Force was talking about equipping the CT w/ a bungee type rope. The controllers would evacuate to the catwalk, hook up, and jump. Yikes! Thankfully we never heard anymore about it but we did wonder WTH we would do if a fire started lower in the tower because we'd be trapped up top.

This was at Columbus Timbeck, I the old tower by base ops. Don't know if you used that or the new tower there.
We had that at El Toro. Not a bungee, but there was something out there.

EDIT: it's coming back to me now. It was a rope ladder that went down to the roof of the building below.

Last edited:
We had that at El Toro. Not a bungee, but there was something out there.

EDIT: it's coming back to me now. It was a rope ladder that went down to the roof of the building below.

Yep. Had the same thing in the Marines. Like a "caving ladder."

IMG_2980.JPG

Yep. Had the same thing in the Marines. Like a "caving ladder."

View attachment 56617
Yeah. Like that. It was rolled up attached to the railing around the catwalk. This all has me seeing hang gliders, those flying squirrel suits even base jumping chutes. Sheesh, now I'm seeing ejection seats in the Tower. Tower controller accidently ejects and collides with airplane in the pattern. Now theres a 'deal'

Stating that the airport is closed is not discussion or argument, it's just informing pilots.

I agree. Their statement was that they were going to come in anyway and treat it as a uncontrolled field and my question was is that really the time to argue if it is truly closed. No they obviously can't stop you from landing but it is clearly on stated that the airport was closed. Regardless of your opinion/understanding of the regs is it really worth landing just because you don't think it applies to you because are not part 135? If you land without declaring an emergency are the potential repercussions really worth it?

Actually, it should only be closed for aircraft that require a Part 139 certified airport.
And then only certain runways. Example, if the north field station is handling the ATC fire, the south field station should still be able to respond for the south runway complex.

Back