THEFT OF AVIONICS - please read

LoLPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoLPilot
Hey guys and gals. Last night my flight school had a bunch of avionics equipment stolen from our planes. We normally operate out of KSET but have been at 1H0 due to flooding. There is another flight school there and other planes stored on their ramp but only our planes were targeted. Please see the screenshot below from our assistant manager and be on the lookout on eBay and forums for this equipment coming out of Missouri or Southern Illinois.

D3AECD3D-1E1F-4D91-A3B8-0E65CA549AE9.png

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the other flight school. "You know if the other school's planes are down, they will train with us"

Stealing 430s and KX155s? Ummmm. okay. They'll be in better shape than they were after the replacements happen.

Sorry to hear this and good luck delivering justice.

Stealing 430s and KX155s? Ummmm. okay. They'll be in better shape than they were after the replacements happen.

Sorry to hear this and good luck delivering justice.

The biggest problem with this is that they took most of our IFR planes out of commission. We use the 430’s for GPS nav, navcomm, and com radios because of their availability and familiarity. We already have some equipment down due to mechanical failures and not being at our home mx hangar so this is crippling to the IFR students like me.

The biggest problem with this is that they took most of our IFR planes out of commission. We use the 430’s for GPS nav, navcomm, and com radios because of their availability and familiarity. We already have some equipment down due to mechanical failures and not being at our home mx hangar so this is crippling to the IFR students like me.
I’m curious to know what the surveillance footage details...if anything.

Is it possible that the other flight school does a better job of locking up their airplanes, or doesn't leave the keys within reach of potential thieves? Or maybe the other school's planes are parked closer to the surveillance cameras, and the thieves knew that? I would rather believe that than think the other school is responsible.

Is it possible that the other flight school does a better job of locking up their airplanes, or doesn't leave the keys within reach of potential thieves? Or maybe the other school's planes are parked closer to the surveillance cameras, and the thieves knew that? I would rather believe that than think the other school is responsible.

Depends how welcoming the flight school was. When it's only the other schools planes that get hit, and there hasn't been any issues at the airport prior to the other school moving in, the spotlight tends to swing a certain way. This is why if you're going to do that, you at least "steal" something out of one your own planes too. Not that I lie awake at night thinking of how to get away with crimes. Not at all.

Possible they were uninstalled from yours and swapped from the other flight schools planes, that way they wont look stolen.

The other school’s planes are hangared. Ours haven’t been because it’s not our home airport (our home airport has been under 6 ft of water). So we have to leave our keys in a bucket in the airport office and the planes are ramp parked and tied down.

That sucks, but maybe it will work out for the school as mentioned with some upgrades.

They may show up in the classified section before long lol.

I was thinking the same thing...:lol:

This wasn't a crime of opportunity. Someone or someones know exactly where the security cameras are and the dark areas to enter the airport property. And know when the airport is totally abandoned thereby eliminating the chance of someone seeing something.

I would be very surprised if the equipment is still in the local area. My guess is someone has a lead to sell used equipment like that to unsuspecting experimental folks.

*Slowly donning tin foil hat*

Ummmm maybe the management of your own flight school stole the avionics? Like you said it looked like an inside job. Plus, free upgrades!

*Tin foil hat off*

Anybody want some burnt waffles and PBR for lunch?

*Slowly donning tin foil hat*

Ummmm maybe the management of your own flight school stole the avionics? Like you said it looked like an inside job. Plus, free upgrades!

*Tin foil hat off*

Anybody want some burnt waffles and PBR for lunch?

Hmm, the flight school manager wouldn't be named Henning, would he?

Hoping insurance brings you IDF440s.......
yeah, me too but don't hold your breath. unless you have replacement value insurance puts you back where you were 1-minute before the loss, not better.

For personal electronics, I used my Dremel tool to scribe some personal details on the outer case. So if they were stolen, it would be simple to identify the item belongs to me. And hopefully discourage theft.

Would this practice be if any value with avionics?

For personal electronics, I used my Dremel tool to scribe some personal details on the outer case. So if they were stolen, it would be simple to identify the item belongs to me. And hopefully discourage theft.

if you do this do not use your social security number. instead use your driver's license number AND state of issue as in: IL DL X1234567890

FAA: You'll need an A&P signoff and a 337 on this as it's a major alteration. :D :rofl:

If I'm leaving the airplane somewhere when away from home, I take the radios out.

I once jumped into a familiar airplane and notice that the number two KX-170B was no longer an exact match for the one above it. I figured it had been removed for some reason and repaired. Nope.

It turns out some clever (let's say avionics shop employee) person had stolen the radio and replaced it with an inop KX-170. Once the serial number was checked, it was confirmed...

I once jumped into a familiar airplane and notice that the number two KX-170B was no longer an exact match for the one above it. I figured it had been removed for some reason and repaired. Nope.

It turns out some clever (let's say avionics shop employee) person had stolen the radio and replaced it with an inop KX-170. Once the serial number was checked, it was confirmed...

I’d more likely believe it was a cheap arsed owner-pilot than an avionics shop employee.

I've dealt with a number of flight school insurance claims, but none for theft. Is this likely to be a single incident/single claim/single deductible, or one per plane?

I'm not sure how it will work out. Most of the airplanes were leasebacks.

if you do this do not use your social security number. instead use your driver's license number AND state of issue as in: IL DL X1234567890
Totally aware of ID theft issues. And yes, all the equipment marked is with name, and Texas Drivers License

Does the nav subscription have to be linked to serial number of the 430?
Maybe Garmin will come through

Thieves like the older models that are still popular. The data cards are not locked to a unit serial number like the newest gear. A guy buying this stolen stuff may never know it's hot and Garmin will keep selling the Nav Data.

Thing is 1H0 is gated. I can't remember if it's a code or a card to drive on, but I do know I was issued a vehicle pass to display when I was flying from there.

That's a lot of stuff to haul off onesy twosy without being detected.

Hey guys and gals. Last night my flight school had a bunch of avionics equipment stolen from our planes. We normally operate out of KSET but have been at 1H0 due to flooding. There is another flight school there and other planes stored on their ramp but only our planes were targeted. Please see the screenshot below from our assistant manager and be on the lookout on eBay and forums for this equipment coming out of Missouri or Southern Illinois.

View attachment 75764

Sounds like a great time to get some IFD440s. Could be back up in a couple of weeks

Thing is 1H0 is gated. I can't remember if it's a code or a card to drive on, but I do know I was issued a vehicle pass to display when I was flying from there.

That's a lot of stuff to haul off onesy twosy without being detected.

No gates at 1H0 now...you can drive right on the ramp.

No gates at 1H0 now...you can drive right on the ramp.

Yeah they still give vehicle passes out but since I have been there it doesn't look like they have anybody - or any way for that matter - to enforce them.

At my business, we inscribe the “theftable” stuff with “stolen from ABC manufacturing” right in big letters on the top. Theory is if they see less likely to steal? Yes, it can all be ground off....but we are playing psychological mind games here....

Does the nav subscription have to be linked to serial number of the 430?
Maybe Garmin will come through
The Garmin subscriptions at least are locked to the card, not the unit. When I download for my 430w and 530w it doesn't care about the serial and I can put either card in either unit. As far as Garmin is concerned they're serial number '1' and '2'.

Any update on what the surveillance cameras showed?

I was flying with a buddy in his plane and the door lock has an issue. He stuck a big INOP sticker on the good stuff.

-David

Last edited:
The Garmin subscriptions at least are locked to the card, not the unit. When I download for my 430w and 530w it doesn't care about the serial and I can put either card in either unit. As far as Garmin is concerned they're serial number '1' and '2'.

But you have to register your GPS unit before downloading databases, I would definitely call Garmin.

Tom

Back