The ultimate "Can I log it?" thread...

ahkahn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
92E
OK, so this is my attempt at creating the ultimate "Can I log it?" thread.

Let's say that we're flying across country on, well, a 767. I'm sitting there minding your own business, there is a sick kid in the back of the plane with a nun playing a guitar to entertain him, a couple of guys speaking to each other in some form of jive language, and a few other characters around you on the plane. I fall into relaxation to the soothing sound of turboprops. The flight attendants are serving dinner, and well, I choose the chicken, but others choose the fish. We find out later that the two pilots ate the fish. Everyone who ate the fish ends up getting violently ill, and passes out... including the pilots.

So now, a doctor, who happens to be on the plane, comes out and asks if anyone happens to be a pilot. Well, now is my time to shine! Yes, I'm a pilot. I'm an instrument rated private pilot who only has a single-engine airplane license. So, anyway, I hop up front and begin making sense of all of the buttons and knobs. Over the course of moving the pilots out of the way (I sat left seat... the autopilot sat right seat), I find out that the co-pilot was still a flight instructor! Awesome, I can log dual! So, I grab the controls, start pressing buttons and twisting knobs on the FMS, and radio center and let them know I've now become the pilot of the plane. You can hear ATC stressing out, pacing, and chain-smoking, but I assure them, I'm a great pilot, and that I actually have flown since the war.

Between me and the autopilot, and although there were some weird interruptions by the doctor continuing to wish us well, we brought the plane down to the runway without incident. Had an odd bonding experience with the main flight attendant, but that's a different story.... but anyway, as I'm leaving the cockpit, it dawns on me, I need this passed out co-pilot to sign my logbook. Well, confession time, I forged his signature. He was passed out. But, I had his info, and well, legally, he was present for the dual.

Summary:
Flying a plane I'm not rated in.
Flight instructor on board.
Emergency in effect (I did declare)

My take is that I can log dual and PIC - multi, night, instrument, and cross country (yes, it was at night, and we hit clouds).

Am I logging correctly? :dunno:

:lol:

Last edited:
No...a 121 carrier cannot allow you to fly the airplane OR receive instruction on a revenue flight.;)

OK, so this is my attempt at creating the ultimate "Can I log it?" thread.

Let's say that we're flying across country on, well, a 767. I'm sitting there minding your own business, there is a sick kid in the back of the plane with a nun playing a guitar to entertain him, a couple of guys speaking to each other in some form of jive language, and a few other characters around you on the plane. I fall into relaxation to the soothing sound of turboprops. The flight attendants are serving dinner, and well, I choose the chicken, but others choose the fish. We find out later that the two pilots ate the fish. Everyone who ate the fish ends up getting violently ill, and passes out... including the pilots.

So now, a doctor, who happens to be on the plane, comes out and asks if anyone happens to be a pilot. Well, now is my time to shine! Yes, I'm a pilot. I'm an instrument rated private pilot who only has a single-engine airplane license. So, anyway, I hop up front and begin making sense of all of the buttons and knobs. Over the course of moving the pilots out of the way (I sat left seat... the autopilot sat right seat), I find out that the co-pilot was still a flight instructor! Awesome, I can log dual! So, I grab the controls, start pressing buttons and twisting knobs on the FMS, and radio center and let them know I've now become the pilot of the plane. You can hear ATC stressing out, pacing, and chain-smoking, but I assure them, I'm a great pilot, and that I actually have flown since the war.

Between me and the autopilot, and although there were some weird interruptions by the doctor continuing to wish us well, we brought the plane down to the runway without incident. Had an odd bonding experience with the main flight attendant, but that's a different story.... but anyway, as I'm leaving the cockpit, it dawns on me, I need this passed out co-pilot to sign my logbook. Well, confession time, I forged his signature. He was passed out. But, I had his info, and well, legally, he was present for the dual.

Summary:
Flying a plane I'm not rated in.
Flight instructor on board.
Emergency in effect (I did declare)

My take is that I can log dual and PIC - multi, night, instrument, and cross country (yes, it was at night, and we hit clouds).

Am I logging correctly? :dunno:

:lol:

If this happens in to you in real life no one is gonna care or question how you log it.

If you can fly it and land it without injuries, they will let you log it....

Actually, you can log anything. Just log it for what it was. You flying that plane yada yada. Now, when your airline interview comes, damn, they just might let you count it! You'll be FAMOUS!

But, does the emergency declaration allow me to deviate from the regs?

Did the PIC declare the emergency, or did he just keel over? HE can deviate from the regs in an emergency, but you can't.:nono:

In real life, log it how you want.

If the PIC becomes incapacitated the FO assumes PIC. If the FO is also incapacitated we're off the chart and procedures don't really help. An incapacitated FO cannot not provide flight instruction so Dual is out.

However, for this thought experiment...you move the captain out of his chair and assume command since the FO is out too. You are the PIC and get to log PIC, NIGHT, MEL, CrossCountry, and any IMC you encounter. If you shoot an approach log that and if you live log the landing.

Surely you must be joking.

f600272db209c06976bd4959dfa26ce1.jpg

Did the PIC declare the emergency, or did he just keel over? HE can deviate from the regs in an emergency, but you can't.:nono:

In real life, log it how you want.

But when radioing into ATC and notifying them of the situation, can't they declare the emergency for you? Or even acknowledge the emergency declaration from you considering the PIC and SIC are incapacitated due to bad fish?

But when radioing into ATC and notifying them of the situation, can't they declare the emergency for you?

Yup. When it happens they ask you about remaining fuel and SOB...

As long as you don't ask a little boy if he likes gladiator movies or has ever seen a gown man naked, you should be fine.

Now go win one for the Zipper.

But when radioing into ATC and notifying them of the situation, can't they declare the emergency for you? Or even acknowledge the emergency declaration from you considering the PIC and SIC are incapacitated due to bad fish?

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

It isn't the emergency declaration...only the PIC is authorized to deviate from regs, not the guy in 12C.;)

Plus, I don't think too many people would believe that logging was part of "the extent required to meet that emergency".

Last edited:
It isn't the emergency declaration...only the PIC is authorized to deviate from regs, not the guy in 12C.;)

But if the PIC and SIC become incapacitated, and me (in 12C) moves to the cockpit, declares "My Plane!", and becomes sole manipulator of the controls, doesn't that make me PIC???

But if the PIC and SIC become incapacitated, and me (in 12C) moves to the cockpit, declares "My Plane!", and becomes sole manipulator of the controls, doesn't that make me PIC???

If I put on a tiara and a tutu and skip down the aisle yelling "I'm a princess!" That actually makes me a wacko, not a princess.:dunno:

Back