the truly important question we're all afraid to ask....(undecided if there's any ties to aviation)

what's the best way to crack an egg?

• on a flat surface

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • on the edge of a bowl

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • using a fork/knife/spatula

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • single handedly in some kind of "chef ramsey's got nothin' on me" holier-than-thou kind of way

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • using the force

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ray gun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
what's the best way to crack an egg?

I've tried the "on a flat surface" technique but just don't like it as much as either on the edge of a bowl or using a utensil. I find a good swift hack at the egg with a fork to be my preferred method, followed by the edge of the bowl.

egg-crack-an-egg.gif

1701285797146.png

I usually just use whatever flat surface is handy...bottom of the pan, the stovetop, the counter..
but I'm not so convinced that the edge of the pan (or a fork, or a knife, etc...) are any worse or any better. I've heard the deal that an edge forces shell bits into the egg....but not much if any in my experience, and I've I'm getting microscopic shell bits, then yey, score.... more calcium for me!

Hmm, I seem to have voted against myself.

1. Whack the side of the egg on the countertop, hard enough to cave it in to an egg-shaped death star, but not so hard that you get egg all over the counter.
2. Use your thumbs to grab the edges of the crater and split it in half.

The lip around the edge of my range top has a rounded corner perfect for cracking eggs on.

I remember reading a justification for not cracking it on the edge of the pan, skillet, measuring cup, bowl... like a lot of other so-called "wisdom" you find on line, it seems like utter nonsense cooked up by some over-analytical theorist (who has probably never cracked an egg in their life) in order to feed the clickbait advertising machine that the Web has become.

Your chances of getting shell in the egg is just as great, if not greater, when you use a flat surface. BFD... pick it out like you always do.

There is something satisfying when you crack it just right on a flat surface and cracks pretty much perfectly in half.

My theory is how you hold it when cracking it against a flat surface. But its still just a theory LOL

I should also point out that the one-hand technique has the advantage that you can crack 2 eggs at the same time (assuming some level of ambidexterity).

If you smear eggs on the wings and prop before takeoff do you have icing protection?

Confucius say man who crack egg with one hand good at shell game

I learned the one handed technique with either hand working at a restaurant in high school when the chef needed several dozens of eggs cracked in preparation for Sunday brunch. It is a mostly useless skill for me because I can’t stand eggs.

I'm eggcited to try some of these techniques.

...even if I'm poaching someone else's idea.

I didn't know it was possible to use two hands to crack an egg. Do you guys have giant eggs or tiny hands?

Back