The Straight Dope on the Vital Ketchup on a Hot Dog question

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Paul, I know you don't mean to act like an alfalfa-chewing barbarian, but this is like asking why Leonardo didn't paint the Mona Lisa on black velvet. Ketchup is destructive of all that is right and just about a properly assembled hot dog (and we're talking about a pure beef hot dog, not one of those things you could serve with dressing on Thanksgiving).

Ketchup smothers the flavor of the hot dog because ketchup makers add sugar to their products. That takes the edge off the highly acidic tomatoes, but it takes the edge off everything else, too. Which is exactly why a lot of parents like it, ... Put ketchup on it and a kid will swallow anything — and from there it's a straight shot to Velveeta cheese, Franco-American spaghetti, and Deborah Norville.
People get pretty emotional over the ketchup question. Mel Plotsky opened our discussion by describing the condiment as a "catchall of garbage." Over at crosstown rival Vienna Sausage, they refer to ketchup as the "K-word." If you go into an authentic hot dog joint and ask for ketchup on your hot dog, the counterman will pause and look you in the eye. He may or may not say, "Ketchup?" with a tone of disbelief. But you may be certain what he's thinking: "Behold this creature that walks like a man. It wants ketchup on its hot dog.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/679/why-is-there-no-ketchup-on-a-properly-made-hot-dog

BTW, we should have bought the book while we could:

It's selling for $114-$300!

Attachments

• 9f8981b0c8a0c46b2734c110.L.jpg
    9f8981b0c8a0c46b2734c110.L.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 376
And mustard doesn't cover up the flavor of stuff? Mustard has a much stronger flavor than ketchup. And since when to hot dogs have an "edge" ?

Fail.

Putting ketchup on a perfectly good hot dog is a shame. Putting it on an Italian sausage is an infamnia.

-Rich

And mustard doesn't cover up the flavor of stuff? Mustard has a much stronger flavor than ketchup. And since when to hot dogs have an "edge" ?

Fail.

You fail. As mentioned only some namby-pamby mustards have strong sweetness. The proper mustard is a brown or subtle yellow mustard. I'm digging dill mustard a lot lately.

Chicago All Beef Kosher hot dogs have an edge. As Cecil points out they also have some firmness to the tooth when they're properly prepared by steaming, not to mention subtle flavoring including spices, onion and garlic which are destroyed by the abomination that is ketchup.

Re: The Straight Dope on the Vital (?) Ketchup on a Hot Dog question

Again?
attachment.php

Attachments

• beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 363
I never said anything about sweetness. I said strong flavor.

Fail.

Re: The Straight Dope on the Vital (?) Ketchup on a Hot Dog question

Until the ketchup jihadists are defeated we must continue press the case for freedom and mustard!!! :D:D

We need ketchup amendment remedies!

mmm nothing is better than just ketchup on my hot dogs and brats. mmm mmm mmm

I put Ketchup on Mac computers.

Crap, Did I just write a troll's post?

I saw it at Barnes and Noble yesterday. I didn't check the price, but I'm sure it wasn't in that range! :no:

Here you go: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ne...z/e/9780979789274/?itm=1&USRI=ketchup+hot+dog

THANKS, Grant! I ordered a copy. The site was the tops in aggravation (losing my data and daring me to enter it again. Great design.) but I'm not dealing with the a*holes at my nearest store (long story.)

This would make a good arbitrage play! There were a bunch of sellers asking $300 for a copy on Amazon, unless they're all the same guy.

THANKS, Grant! I ordered a copy. The site was the tops in aggravation (losing my data and daring me to enter it again. Great design.) but I'm not dealing with the a*holes at my nearest store (long story.)

This would make a good arbitrage play! There were a bunch of sellers asking $300 for a copy on Amazon, unless they're all the same guy.
No worries. I'll just take 10% of the profits as a finder's fee. :)

You know, Hitler ate hotdogs with ketchup.....

Chuck Norris has ketchup on his hot dog.

Uggh... thanks for that visual, Scott! I hope no one was eating anything of any sort, including hot dogs with or without ketchup! :(

I paid for it, I'll put whatever I damn well want on it. This is 'Merica!!! No dang Yankee liburl is gonna tell me ....ooops!!!, wrong forum. :D

I mean, really, the stuff is ground-up animal pieces-parts that would otherwise end up in a landfill, flavored with enough salt, pepper and spice to make you think you are eating something good. Live and let live. B) :cheerswine:

Ya gotta admit Scott.
That video is a fine example of attempted humor that's in pretty bad taste.

BTW...whatever that pic is at the beginning of this thread, that is NOT a freaking hotdog. I tried one once, was told it was the best ever (just like the one pictured)...what a putrid pile of conflicting tastes.

Give me some onions, a bit of mustard and ketchup, and you have a great tasting hotdog...unless you want a chili dog, then you put on some good chili!

These gastronomic abominations of "everything plus the kitchen sink" should be outlawed! :D

BTW...whatever that pic is at the beginning of this thread, that is NOT a freaking hotdog. I tried one once, was told it was the best ever (just like the one pictured)...what a putrid pile of conflicting tastes.

Looks like some kind of salad to me. Or maybe a bloody mary with meat and a bun instead of booze and tomato juice. Fail.

diced onion, brown mustard, wassabi, and celery salt.* That's it.

* If it's after 2 AM it is permissible to add a meat sauce and a slathering of cheese.

but ketchup?:confused:

Give me some onions, a bit of mustard and ketchup, and you have a great tasting hotdog...unless you want a chili dog, then you put on some good chili!

These gastronomic abominations of "everything plus the kitchen sink" should be outlawed! :D

Looks like some kind of salad to me. Or maybe a bloody mary with meat and a bun instead of booze and tomato juice. Fail.

You are Dead To Me!

:) :) :)

diced onion, brown mustard, wassabi, and celery salt.* That's it.

* If it's after 2 AM it is permissible to add a meat sauce and a slathering of cheese.

but ketchup?:confused:

Wasabi. Finally someone mentions something that has some bite to it. Ketchup is way too tame. Gimme the hottest horseradish or some Scorned Woman Hot Sauce or Professor Phartpounder's Colon Cleaner. Best thing is a layer of sliced jalapenos in the hamburger.

Dan

I put Ketchup on Mac computers.

Crap, Did I just write a troll's post?

Oh yeah?

I did all that - AND I ran Lean Of Peak, while calling ATITAPA.

Attachments

• byronsdog2.jpg
    byronsdog2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 123
  • byronsdog3.jpg
    byronsdog3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 122
  • byronsdog1.jpg
    byronsdog1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 125
Ya gotta admit Scott.
That video is a fine example of attempted humor that's in pretty bad taste.

I'm sure that's a lawsuit waiting to happen the moment that Heinz finds out about it which will be in about 4 minutes.

How about a good ol' fashioned cheese coney, with chili?

Mustard might even go with that, but NEVER KETCHUP! :p

How about a good ol' fashioned cheese coney, with chili?

Mustard might even go with that, but NEVER KETCHUP! :p

Not bad every once and a while I will go to the dark side of the dog to try something different, coney dogs are one guilty pleasure the other is a slaw dog. Both would be wrong to eat with ketchup.

Back