The Straight Dope on the Vital Ketchup on a Hot Dog question

Y'know, for all of the ketchup-denying that you Chicagoans practice, methinks thou dost protest too much - Especially since the only time I ever delivered to a Heinz production facility, it was in... Wait for it... Chicago.

Lived with a vegetarian for 2 years, never did discover a truly yummy vegetarian dish, but a little bacon went a long way to making them edible.

Two words: Eggplant parmigiana.

BT0404_Bobby-Flays-Eggplant-Parmesan_lg.jpg

-Rich

Last edited:
I'm confused by the title of this thread. It implies that there's a question about whether it's appropriate to put that unthinkable condiment on your hotdog? Chili is the only tomato based ingredient permissible on a dog. I thought everyone knew that.

Y'know, for all of the ketchup-denying that you Chicagoans practice, methinks thou dost protest too much - Especially since the only time I ever delivered to a Heinz production facility, it was in... Wait for it... Chicago.
I am not nor is Chicago against ketchup. It has its proper place, hamburgers, french err Freedom fries, part of thousand island dressing, etc. It just does not belong on a hot dog.

What about thousand island on a hot dog?

It's been interesting watching a coworker whom never ate meat what so ever his entire life to eating meat with every meal.

Once the religious reasons for not eating meat were gone - it became obvious that he'd be much better off eating meat in his quest to improve his physical condition and gain muscle mass. It's working.

Eat too much of anything and you'll get fat. Be active, eat with intelligence, and live a long happy life.

The religious reasons were actually just certain meats. Pork being the main one because of the propensity to get trichinosis in undercooked pork. The religious reasons were actually more health laws back in the day.

Maybe if we could clone headless meat bodies we could get Michael to eat some nice yummy steak.

It's been interesting watching a coworker whom never ate meat what so ever his entire life to eating meat with every meal.

Once the religious reasons for not eating meat were gone - it became obvious that he'd be much better off eating meat in his quest to improve his physical condition and gain muscle mass. It's working.

Eat too much of anything and you'll get fat. Be active, eat with intelligence, and live a long happy life.

You did a pretty thorough job on those ribs, Jesse. :cheerswine:

-Rich

A tube of meat like substance, thats actual content is probably a mystery even to the manufacturer, on a bun. Does it really matter what it gets garnished with?

I like mine smothered in chili, cheese, and onions............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....good.

John

The religious reasons were actually just certain meats. Pork being the main one because of the propensity to get trichinosis in undercooked pork. The religious reasons were actually more health laws back in the day.
He was a very very strict seventh day adventist. The level of belief in his family required no meat whatsoever, no alcohol what so ever, and no business done on Saturdays.

He was a very very strict seventh day adventist. The level of belief in his family required no meat whatsoever, no alcohol what so ever, and no business done on Saturdays.

Odd, the Bible (which the 7th days follow) only forbids certain meats. Goat, cattle, lamb is all permitted. I know a couple 7DAs and they eat the allowed meat in Leviticus.

Odd, the Bible (which the 7th days follow) only forbids certain meats. Goat, cattle, lamb is all permitted. I know a couple 7DAs and they eat the allowed meat in Leviticus.

SDA members are expected / required to avoid meat from any animal considered unclean under OT law, as well as alcohol and toboacco. But they are encouraged to avoid meat altogether, as well as beverages that contain caffeine.

As with pretty much any religious denomination, the degree to which individual SDA members are observant ranges from "not at all" to "fanatically," with the majority probably falling somewhere in between.

-Rich

SDA members are expected / required to avoid meat from any animal considered unclean under OT law, as well as alcohol and toboacco. But they are encouraged to avoid meat altogether, as well as beverages that contain caffeine.

As with pretty much any religious denomination, the degree to which individual SDA members are observant ranges from "not at all" to "fanatically," with the majority probably falling somewhere in between.

-Rich

Thanks for the clear up on that. Varying degrees within each denomination it seems.

Support your President on the Vital Ketchup on a Hot Dog question

President Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and didn’t move to Chicago until he was 23 years old, but nevertheless, he proved Friday that he is, in fact, a true Chicagoan.

The proof? He confirmed that he is against putting ketchup on hot dogs.

President Obama was in Toledo, Ohio, Friday, and stopped for lunch with that city’s mayor, Michael Bell. Obama’s meal of choice a chili dog at Rudy’s Hot Dog in Toledo, but the subject of ketchup on came up during lunch.

“You shouldn’t put ketchup on your hot dog,” the president said straightforwardly.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/03/obama-you-shouldnt-put-ketchup-on-a-hot-dog/

So there! Yet another ballsy action by our President. ;)

I will never understand this:

If you order a hot dog in Chicago, the proper condiments are mustard, sweet pickle relish, chopped onions, sliced tomatoes, a kosher pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt.

But not ketchup. We will put all these different items on the hot dog that essentially remove any flavor of the hot dog and leave only the taste of vegetable and salt, but don't you dare put ketchup on a hotdog, which leaves the flavor of the hot dog intact.

We will put all these different items on the hot dog that essentially remove any flavor of the hot dog and leave only the taste of vegetable and salt, but don't you dare put ketchup on a hotdog, which leaves the flavor of the hot dog intact.

Thus proving that Chicagoans actually hate hot dogs. ;)

If I want a salad, I'll eat a salad. If I want a hot dog, I'll eat a hot dog. Ne'er the two shall meet...

Back