The Seafood Thread

Gotcha beat. I remember when I was a kid (late 1960s) catching trout in the river below the campground in Yellowstone NP and having them still flipping (even after being cleaned) as they hit the frying pan. Maybe 10 minutes after being pulled from the water. You don't get trout much fresher than that. I understand that these days its all catch and release.

When I was a kid (or at least a younger kid than now), I had an uncle who had ran some crab traps, and once in a while I'd go with him to empty and rebait the traps. Getting back to shore and dumping live crabs straight into boiling water was about as fresh as crab meat gets, and it was absolutely wonderful.

I also recall fishing all day with my dad on the St John's in Jacksonville. At the end of the day, we'd tie up on my grandparents' dock and start cleaning fish while the family gathered, aunts and uncles and cousins and friends. The fish, croakers and drum and sheepshead and maybe a few reds and sometimes a flounder or two, would go straight from cleaning into cornmeal batter and into the fryer. Coleslaw and potato salad and corn on the cob and hushpuppies, and I'd eat myself into a stupor, already exhausted and sunburned from being on the water all day.

Sigh.

Seafood is still good, but it's never been that good ever since.

I love salmon fish, but the farmed stuff is better looking (and less costly) than the 'wild caught' version at my grocery store.

Now I’m getting hungry for seafood. Been a long time since I had grilled manatee.

Isopod Fried Rice anyone? After all, it is ‘seafood’... ;)

Yep. They’re pretty tender if you get them young enough. The older ones get a bit tough and taste sorta like pilot whale.
Yeah, but baby pilot whale, oh man, awesome. Young turtles crossing the road, if you can get them before they are run over, are a great appetizer.

Yeah, but baby pilot whale, oh man, awesome. Young turtles crossing the road, if you can get them before they are run over, are a great appetizer.

Ever try seaturtle eggs? They’re a bit rubbery compared to chicken eggs but have more flavor.

I love me some spotted schkrump. It's good to have friends with boats. They sure are a waste of money. If I had money to buy a boat.....oh wait

I've heard it's not even so much the purchase price; but the ongoing costs.

If you only eat never-frozen, then you're only eating in season, right?

Man, I’d love to go on a fishing trip in the cold waters and catch my own, fillet and eat.
Well, when I'm up there this July, I'll be sure to crack a beer in your honor when I catch my first Red. But don't wait. Sometimes we kick that "bucket" before we finish that list.

Isopod Fried Rice anyone? After all, it is ‘seafood’... ;)

That's a huge pillbug! I thought the big ones went extinct during the cretaceous period and were only fossils now.

TIL that some fugu is farmed. They can't eat the things that actually produce tetrodotoxin so they aren't poisonous.

Imma make some lemon dill seasoning for the salmon fish. Just grabbed a lemon off the tree.

Baby dolphins are particularly tasty.

I once read an article about how tuna fisherman are killing the dolphins.

Well, aren't they killing the tuna as well.?? Doesn't tuna lives matter.??

Living here in Ensenada, Seafood is life! After all, we invented the fish taco here.

Every Thursday my wife and I travel to Puerto Nuevo for Lobster Happy Hour there. :)

Too much good stuff!!

Did that same culinary excursion from Miramar back in the 70s and 80s. Love the fish tacos on the fish market pier.

I once read an article about how tuna fisherman are killing the dolphins.

Well, aren't they killing the tuna as well.?? Doesn't tuna lives matter.??

Tuna steaks matter...

Tuna casserole matters...

219A845D-B9D8-4A10-BB76-9248EEFB9643.jpeg
Here we go. Grilled lemon dill salmon fish.

Back