The REAL deal - an aviation vacation

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I want to start a thread, now, before the date arrives.

Here is my situation:

I was invited to attend a "getaway weekend" - March 9 - 12, 2012.

My BF's family, each and every year, pays for a vacation. This includes four generations and is usually held over a Spring weekend at a rental home / homes on the coast. The extended family each year totals between 10 - 30 people, including significant others, dogs, children, babies, and guests.

A few years ago, it was held in Stinson Beach, where my BF and I rented a hotel room (not enough space in the vacation rental). The place was awesome, and the BBQ oysters, walks on the beach, and family activities were great.

This year, I booked a dog sitter for my dog (they are limited to 5 dogs total at the rental home, so mine can't come). I even got the time off work approved (taking Friday, March 9 and Monday, March 12 as vacation days). The plan was to DRIVE to Morro Bay, for the 4-day getaway. It is about 5.5 hours of driving time each way, or 11 hours of driving total.

Flying didn't even cross my mind. Both my old flight school and my new flight school had daily minimums I couldn't meet, plus the weather would have to cooperate. Flying was too expensive and impractical.

BUT - I decided it couldn't hurt to ASK. I knew I would not likely get my first choice, the awesome 180hp conversion 172. The min. per day is 3 hours hobbs. Not gonna happen over a 4-day trip with only 200nm to fly each way.

HOWEVER - I just got checked out in the 150 and discovered I had been the only one to fly it in a week. Of the 4 CFI's at the school, only one was small enough to do check outs in the tiny thing, and of all the pilots who fly, roughly 5 or less are "regular" renters of the plane.

I approached the owner of the flight school today with my request.... first asking for the 172 (denied), then asking for the 150 (approved).

SUCCESS!

Now I am on to phase two of my planning (learning more about the airplane itself).

I have the time off, and a plane reserved, and no "get there itis" (it is a group vacation, we have days and days of "wiggle room" for weather, we can always drive if needed).

Is this really happening? Am I finally going to see my pilot cert "pay off"? We could fly there in about 2.5 hours - less than HALF the time it takes to drive.

I have already made arrangements to meet with the owner of the flight school this week. He will be working late most nights and is going to let me "plug in" the plane's GPS so that I don't drain the battery. In the case of the 150, it is a yoke mounted external handheld GPS, so that should be easy.... and it will save me time / make me safer on my cross country in March.

In addition, I have bought the POH from the school for $18 and plan to create my own custom checklist from the one they have in the plane. I also want to fly a few more times to get even better at my 150 mad skillz.....

Phase three will be my "research phase". I would like to stop, mid-way, for lunch and a refuel.... I'm thinking Hollister. Far enough away to avoid all the Bravo / Charlie nonsense, and, according to the flight school, some of the nasty MOA areas. Plus I wanna stretch my legs and not sit in a 150 for 2.5 hours. Then again, I don't know if Hollister has food but I can always pack a sandwich. Another thing I need to research is where to land for real. As in, where to park the plane for the 4 days.... San Luis Obispo? Oceano? I need to make some calls and crunch some numbers. Everyone there will be driving, so no issues about us getting picked up from the airport, but at the same time I don't want to inconvenience anyone too much.

Phase four will be the actual flight planning, and of course the "outs". Alternates, what-ifs, etc. I've already told the BF to use the words "weather permitting" with his family and have warned him that the commitment to piloting an aircraft could shave 1-2 total days off our vacation due to the coast / winter weather conditions.

PS - probably the "coolest" part of this whole thing is I have a 150 for 4 days. Mine all freaking mine. I can offer "airplane rides" if I want to, or, hell, just leave the party and go fly alone..... not everyone is under 6 feet tall and less than 180 pounds..... but if they are, I could share the joys of flight. Can't even imagine what that will be like. Them: hey what is everyone doing today? Me: dunno, but if anyone wants to go for a ride, I have the plane at xyz airport. Them: super cool, let's go!

Sounds like a great plan, being a 150, make sure you do a good w&b, especially with luggage. I know how my wife packs for a 4 day trip.

Are you sure both you and your boyfriend, plus luggage, can fit? It wont be as fun if you have to stop hourly for fuel.

But it does sound fun!

I fly over to SBA every other month or so (my son goes to UCSB). Fog is probably the biggest thing, but you can usually get in at some point (you just might be a little late). Paso Robles is a good alternate. I usually try to go direct (about 2 1/2 hours in my Cherokee), but when I had three people and luggage I did a fuel stop in Los Banos.

Santa Ynez (IZA) is also not a bad alternate for SBA. WX is usually clear when SBA is fogged in.

Yes, I usually route over IZA so I don't have to drop altitude as fast and come in on a base for 15.

.... but when I had three people and luggage I did a fuel stop in Los Banos.

I know my Spanish is quite rusty, but doesn't Los Banos translate to "The Bathrooms?"

Kimberly, I hope you get to fly for your trip. Actually flying somewhere for a reason really seems to make the whole thing (of being a pilot) worthwhile. When I was in college, one of my roommates had a 150. We flew that thing all over the place. There was one memorable occasion that driving would've been faster. It took us 4 hours, plus a fuel stop halfway, to go 185 nm. We didn't care though, we still had a blast.

Last edited:
You really should make the trip. I just returned from a 18 hour flight time trip from the DC area to the Bahamas with 2 other planes/couples and it was a blast. It really make having your certificate worthwhile.

Best part of the trip? When they ask where your car is, you reply "at home, I brought the airplane instead".

Priceless!

Sounds like tons of fun.

Expect the unexpected.

My first real trip using an airplane to go somewhere on purpose ended up being a lesson in logistics, since the airplane had fouled a plug badly and needed to be put in the shop at the far end.

Owner was so ticked off it "did that again" (he'd been fighting a fouling problem with plugs on the 172RG on and off for a year), he asked me to put the mechanic on the phone and then told the guy he wanted him to look it over and give his opinion (third opinion in a year) and if no better options, pull all the plugs and replace them with a type he'd researched that he wanted, and they talked about other options throughout the week. He gave the shop his credit card number on the phone. It was not a cheap bill. Check your club's policy on remote breakdowns. Are you paying with reimbursement or will they work out something? Etc.

He also grilled me on my leaning technique (which had been communicated to all of the club's pilots via the newsletter and I was the club secretary at the time, so I'd read the instructions about 10 times over while I was copying and mailing 100+ copies in the days before e-mail), and apparently I had done all the right things.

Watching and learning how to question and talk with a mechanic about options, who basically has your airplane captive 500+ miles from home, (they were on the speakerphone), was a lesson that has helped me now as an owner countless times over both locally and when we've broken down far from home. As was his attitude that at the end of the day, the cost didn't matter as much as he wanted his renter to have a safe and enjoyable trip home.

Depending on the club and individual owner, that last part is sometimes hard to come by. This owner kept his rentals up meticulously (including chewing anyone out who left trash in them or tracked in dirt and didn't have the brains to utilize the vaccuum cleaner kept in the hangar for that purpose).

In fact, we recently realized that Murphy's hangar is the old stomping grounds of that club. I've flown 50 flights or so in a 172RG that used to live in Murphy's hangar. She knew she had the "odd-ball" hangar in that someone had extended the electrical J-boxes and outlets all the way around the walls from the power panel at the electric door. The reason? That vaccuum cleaner. So it could reach the airplane from anywhere, and the power buffer to shine up the 172RG. The club took amazing care of the two birds in those hangars. Never been in a club like it, since then.

Anyway, with family/friends on the other end, you have a critical logistics piece covered... if the airplane can't come home with you, you've got a ride. You're not out in the middle of nowhere figuring out how to hitch a ride to town and how to get home on your first small trip. That's a good thing.

When I broke down in Nebraska on the Saturday before Oshkosh last year, the options were a hotel in a mostly deserted and flooded town (North Platte, NE) until Tuesday to wait for parts to arrive, or rent a car at the airline terminal and drive back to Denver. The car rental lady knew the FBO lady and gave us a pretty good deal, she chose which car to get rid of. Ha.

We drove back, got in the Yukon the next day and drove straight-thru to OSH.

On the drive home, Doug dropped me off and I flew the airplane home while he took my Yukon to my house and caught a ride home from my wife.

I've broken down three times away from home, so don't freak out. It's rare. But it's something long XCs to someplace else will eventually teach you about how to handle it. Best advice, think and don't panic. FBO people are some of the best people in the world. They'll help.

2.5 hrs in a 150 is no problem,

I bought my 150 at Livermore airport and flew it home to riverside last September. It was a fun trip. Took four hours to get home. Compared to one hr flight time on southwest to get there.
We stopped for lunch in bakersfield, and fuel for the plane.
I flew it everyplace. Including to Las Vegas for lunch, and several trips to Santa barbara to pick up my daughter fro ucsb.

I downside to ksba ---- the ramp fees $15 for a quick turn or $25 if you stop for lunch. Although its waived if you purchase seven gallons.
Flew from kral to ksba and took her to Santa maria for lunch. Then back to ksba then home for me.
Flying long distances for lunch is what its all about. People thought I was crazy going to Vegas for lunch. But I said why not? Only 4.5 hr rt and it built time in my log book! Plus its just fun to watch the traffic on i15 as you fly home!

Enjoy your trip and have a blast doing so!

Gary

Hollister has a diner that was a little dingy but perfectly acceptable when I was there a couple of weeks ago: http://g.co/maps/89p4d

The gas is about in middle of the local price range.

I lived in Morro Bay for 10 yrs. Cayucos and Cambria for the balance of 33 yrs. Hope you have fun.

Kimberly,

I really hope this works out for you! As long as you can get everything you need inside the 150 (don't be afraid to ship a duffel or trunk out there and back) and you have a "we'll get there when we get there" attitude, you should have a terrific time.

Shortly after I got my Private and checked out on a slightly bigger airplane my wife and I took a flying vacation, with stops in Michigan to visit her parents, Evansville and Kentucky to visit where I grew up (which includes my near landing in a factory parking lot at night), Sporty's pilot shop "just because", and then back to Reagan National, again, "just because" it was near our condo.

You won't really realize how great these sorts of trips are until you look back on them a couple of years later.

I don't think a 150 is appropriate for this sort of journey. I suspect that by the time you've loaded you, your SO, and everything you both want to take you'll have enough room for just enough gas to get to your next fuel stop. That is not a good way to travel. Moreover, you'll have huge pressure to get back in time, thus potentially pushing questionable conditions.

That's two links in an accident chain, at least that's how I see it. Sorry to be negative, but I'd rather be an SOB in this thread than posting how sorry I am about someone's demise in another. This may be our avocation, but it is deadly serious business.

I don't think a 150 is appropriate for this sort of journey. I suspect that by the time you've loaded you, your SO, and everything you both want to take you'll have enough room for just enough gas to get to your next fuel stop. That is not a good way to travel. Moreover, you'll have huge pressure to get back in time, thus potentially pushing questionable conditions.

That's two links in an accident chain, at least that's how I see it. Sorry to be negative, but I'd rather be an SOB in this thread than posting how sorry I am about someone's demise in another. This may be our avocation, but it is deadly serious business.

I disagree. She'll be fine. She knows how to do weight and balance. I seem to remember her and her boyfriend are not really big or overweight. This is a short trip. 200nm each way! Thats what, 12 gallons?

Last edited:
We shall agree to disagree then.

Agreed

I'm guessing she'll have around 50 pounds for luggage with her, her boyfriend and full fuel. That's around 4 hours conservatively, for a 2.2 hr trip.

Again i'm basing this off of performance specs for a 152 so I could be wrong.

Again i'm basing this off of performance specs for a 152 so I could be wrong.

I believe you are mistaken. Based on Kimberley's descriptions elsewhere, I suspect they won't have enough payload to take but an hour and a half worth of gas, which is insufficient in my opinion. There are numerous aircraft that you can't go that far filling the seats. The venerable 150 is no exception.

I believe you are mistaken. Based on Kimberley's descriptions elsewhere, I suspect they won't have enough payload to take but an hour and a half worth of gas, which is insufficient in my opinion. There are numerous aircraft that you can't go that far filling the seats. The venerable 150 is no exception.

I see the 150's have 70lbs less payload than a 152.

Guess it really depends on the size of the passengers. I agree that only having an hour and a half's worth of gas would suck. If she can cram 15-18 gallons in though she'll be just fine. She is planning a fuel stop both ways.

I'm about 5'10 and my girlfriend is about 5'5. In the 152 I have about 70 pounds for luggage after full fuel. 95-100 kts at 5gph. So that makes it comfortable for a longer trip. Bladders are limited to 3hrs anyway, so I always land with mucho comfortable fuel reserves.

If I was missing that extra 70lbs it would be a pain in the rear though.

Honestly the 152 is great for me as a traveler. About $45 an hour incl maintenance if i can get my hands on mogas. $50 an hour on my nashville trip considering I have to buy about 20 gallons of 100LL

Last edited:
Well, I don't know which of you is right as far as the payload goes... But I do trust Kimberly's judgement about it.

I once ferried a Symphony (which only held 30 gal) across the entire country and up into Canada, flying 1.5-2 hours hops all the way.

Well, I don't know which of you is right as far as the payload goes... But I do trust Kimberly's judgement about it.

I once ferried a Symphony (which only held 30 gal) across the entire country and up into Canada, flying 1.5-2 hours hops all the way.

No wonder they went out of business.

No wonder they went out of business.

Ah, they were fun little two-seat planes. They had 3.5 hours with full fuel, so were quite nice for two-hour trips at 125 knots. They flew great, the seats were comfy, and they were a decent IFR platform too.

Kimberly,

This is a great opportunity. My favorite flying memory is a trip my wife and I took to Marathon Key for an overnight and to pick up my daughter from Sea Camp. 2.5 hours by air vs. 6 by car. We did wind up having to spend a 2nd night in the keys (darn!) due to weather.

I think, based on your discussions, you have to option to send most of your luggage ahead with your boyfriend's family and only take an overnight bag in the plane. More fuel is much better than more luggage.

Use your flight planning and decision making skills to make this a flexible and careful flight and have a ball. I sure did!

John

I know my Spanish is quite rusty, but doesn't Los Banos translate to "The Bathrooms?"

Kimberly, I hope you get to fly for your trip. Actually flying somewhere for a reason really seems to make the whole thing (of being a pilot) worthwhile. When I was in college, one of my roommates had a 150. We flew that thing all over the place. There was one memorable occasion that driving would've been faster. It took us 4 hours, plus a fuel stop halfway, to go 185 nm. We didn't care though, we still had a blast.

Note that Manteca, another Central Valley city, is Spanish for "Lard".

I think Kim will be fine if they pack light. I made a 4.9hr roundtrip in a 152 last summer with my gf and we were fine. Had about 30lbs. In one small suitcase in cargo 1, the only thing I made sure to do was have her hang onto the suitcase on rotation so it didn't slide backwards.

The useful load in our C-150 is 386 lbs with full fuel, according to our 337 form.

Send the bags ahead UPS or with one of the people driving and have fun!

Send the bags ahead UPS or with one of the people driving and have fun!

I agree with this if Kim and the SO are themselves within weight and balance. But I wouldn't go without full tanks. There are no tabs in the 150, and if the line guy forgets to pump the right amount, you could easily be over gross.

I agree with this if Kim and the SO are themselves within weight and balance. But I wouldn't go without full tanks. There are no tabs in the 150, and if the line guy forgets to pump the right amount, you could easily be over gross.

A calibrated fuel stick is about $10 from sporty's. On a nice flat ramp its accurate enough, assuming you are a conservative fuel planner.

Interesting the guy who did the annual on the 152 I fly pulled one out of the tank that had been there for years. Somebody dropped it in there and never bothered to fish it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies and concerns, I will respond to more soon.

The flight school has a weight and balance online which of course I filled out.

I personally would not be comfortable without meeting the following:

1. Kimberly, Boyfriend (yes he really weighs in the 120's and is 5'11"), flight bag / gear, luggage PLUS allowable fuel within WB specs equals AT LEAST one hour extra fuel after landing at first stop, roughly 100nm from Petaluma (probably Hollister).

I do not plan on making the 200nm trip in one go, even if I can. I want to stop mid-way.

OK just checked:

Empty = 1165

Max Gross = 1600

Fuel burn - roughly - 4-6 gallons per hour

True Airspeed - again, rough - between 80 - 100 kts / mph

So we have 435lbs useful load. The tanks hold 22.5 gallons full.

What "line guy" are you talking about? My flight school, with advanced notice, will let the tanks get more and more empty and NOT fill them up upon my request, and, at the other end, if I land in an untowered field / no FBO I assume I'm just self pumping and tying down at Oceano or something (need to look at a map, Oceano was mentioned by the flight school people as a neat little airport). I plan to give them a low number, such as 14 gallons, and then add more MYSELF at the self serve pump in Petaluma before takeoff.

You're in real good shape then! That 150 looks well maintained and you can prob plan on 90 kts and 6gph as a conservative number. If you don't have headwinds climb up to 6-8000 feet and enjoy the smooth air and better performance. (I remember you mentioned earlier you never fly this high)

and then back to Reagan National, again, "just because" it was near our condo.

You won't really realize how great these sorts of trips are until you look back on them a couple of years later.

Sad that I will probably never get the chance to land a plane at DCA in my lifetime.

What "line guy" are you talking about? My flight school, with advanced notice, will let the tanks get more and more empty and NOT fill them up upon my request, and, at the other end, if I land in an untowered field / no FBO I assume I'm just self pumping and tying down at Oceano or something (need to look at a map, Oceano was mentioned by the flight school people as a neat little airport). I plan to give them a low number, such as 14 gallons, and then add more MYSELF at the self serve pump in Petaluma before takeoff.

Some places have a guy come out with a fuel truck. If you don't stand over him or her and watch like a hawk, they can put too much gas in your airplane. I've had it happen more than once.

If you are self serving, that is a different deal, as you are less likely to put too much gas in your airplane. But I like enough that I can get to a couple of alternates and still have reserves. My thinking is my destination being fogged in should not constitute an emergency. A 150 doesn't take that much fuel. I recall fueling mine all the dang time. Thus the amount you can leave behind is limited.

If your SO is really 5'11'' and 120 lbs, I'd like to know what he's eating so I can get some. When I weighed 135 lbs I was skinny as a rail (and handsome as all get out, my mother said so) at 5'7" . If that really is the case I withdraw my comments. When I saw your photo I made some mental calculations about your SO which are violently wrong if he's 120 lbs. But dang, you should feed him a ham sandwich or something. Have him tested for intestinal parasites.

I do agree with the other posters that such trips are what life was made for. The conditions rang some alarm bells based on long experience. Sounds like I might have been mistaken.

Ah, they were fun little two-seat planes. They had 3.5 hours with full fuel, so were quite nice for two-hour trips at 125 knots. They flew great, the seats were comfy, and they were a decent IFR platform too.

I was going to ask about the Symphony and then you answered the question. I sat in one a few years ago at Sun-n-Fun and was impressed. I wanted them to be successful.

Steingar - I was 6'2" and 140 pounds when I got married. That was after 6 weeks of Army ROTC summer camp and I was in good shape. Got married and started putting on weight. :D While 140 is a bit light, I'd sure like to get back down to the 180-190 range. I wouldn't worry about Kimberly's boyfriend. If they ever get married they'll need a 172 soon enough. :D :D

Back