The perfect plane ever came on the market and my heart is racing.

Oh my I wish I had an Archer to sell to the OP I think I could retire on what I could get out of him. :D

I'll go with Steingar for $200. $84k will buy a nice Mooney C or E, and you can go 20-30kts faster on the same gas.

When this archer ends up being the greatest plane know to man I expect and apology from all the haters and doubters :tongue:

Edit: and if it turns out to be a train wreck then I will be humble and contrite and warn everyone not to make the mistakes I've made. :D
Archers ARE greatest plane known to man

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, you'd be safely in 201J territory at $84K. On the same note, there's a few Commander 114's that end up in the price range, too. Slightly faster than the Archer and definitely more comfort/style. Little more fuel burn though.

Rebel, enjoy gaining the experience of all aspects of aviation, including purchase and ownership. If this works out and you're happy that's great. It's your life and your money.
If it doesn't work out great, then you learned a hard lesson. Still... your life, your money.
I have learned so many lessons the hard way I can't even count them. I'm probably a better person for it, although not near as close to retirement ha ha.
Most importantly, fly safe and enjoy it whatever you decide.

Rebel, enjoy gaining the experience of all aspects of aviation, including purchase and ownership. If this works out and you're happy that's great. It's your life and your money.
If it doesn't work out great, then you learned a hard lesson. Still... your life, your money.
I have learned so many lessons the hard way I can't even count them. I'm probably a better person for it, although not near as close to retirement ha ha.
Most importantly, fly safe and enjoy it whatever you decide.

Thanks for the encouragement

There is a reason why this one wasn't gone in a few hours. It's over priced and working with a broker is not fun.

Before I bought I looked for a year. I drove hours and looked at some when I even had a poa'er set up to look at another that was 400 miles away from me. Turned out on that one another poa'er beat me to the deal! Haha go figure.

I looked at a cardinal that was an hour flight away but he could not get it to me and I didn't have a plane. 4 hours later I see the plane in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. It happens..turns out it had damage history after the broker said it didnt. Refused to budge on the price and downplayed the damage. Um a wing got ripped off from it taxiing in the grass and the pilot hit a pot hole. Yeah well I didn't want that plane anyway and not sure I trust the story. Haha

Best planes and prices usually come from planes not listed on the sites.

I hope this works outs for you and if you need financing you might run into another problem...maybe. good luck and stay positive if you're happy that's all that matters and the market spoke. But seriously don't get attached cause you will justify problems found with the plane and keep moving forward with the deal.

There is a reason why this one wasn't gone in a few hours. It's over priced and working with a broker is not fun.

Before I bought I looked for a year. I drove hours and looked at some when I even had a poa'er set up to look at another that was 400 miles away from me. Turned out on that one another poa'er beat me to the deal! Haha go figure.

I looked at a cardinal that was an hour flight away but he could not get it to me and I didn't have a plane. 4 hours later I see the plane in the middle of nowhere Arkansas. It happens..turns out it had damage history after the broker said it didnt. Refused to budge on the price and downplayed the damage. Um a wing got ripped off from it taxiing in the grass and the pilot hit a pot hole. Yeah well I didn't want that plane anyway and not sure I trust the story. Haha

Best planes and prices usually come from planes not listed on the sites.

I hope this works outs for you and if you need financing you might run into another problem...maybe. good luck and stay positive if you're happy that's all that matters and the market spoke. But seriously don't get attached cause you will justify problems found with the plane and keep moving forward with the deal.

Honestly I'm not star struck, I'm capable of walking away from this is there's major problems and of course I want the best price, I'm(the company) is going the pay the entire amount upfront. (We are going to save 30k in taxes) thanks to section 179 write off.

It happens..turns out it had damage history after the broker said it didnt. Refused to budge on the price and downplayed the damage.

Ha! One of the Mooney J's we liked was from Florida, and the owner agreed to fly it up to our mechanic for reasonable travel expenses. The airplane had been advertised (and priced accordingly) as NHD. As soon as the plane arrived, we saw that it had hail damage to the control surfaces, and when our mechanic pulled the belly pan, the stringers were all bashed and scraped. Yup, this plane had been landed gear up. Before continuing with the inspection, we talked to the owner about price reductions to cover the damage found, and he wouldn't budge. EDIT: We had also examined the logs before having the plane flown up, the gear up was NOT documented anywhere!

We had the mechanic button up the belly and told the guy to hit the bricks. He wanted his travel expenses, and we told him no deal, plane not as represented. He said he'd sue, and we told him "See you in court".

Never heard from the guy again.

We went through several supposedly NDH aircraft before finding 642. Aircraft sales is a slimy business.

Last edited:
Rebel,

Expand your search area. The initial inspection is going through the logs with a fine tooth comb. Second step, if the plane is not local is getting on an internet board like POA and asking for someone to take a peak at the plane for you. Get some fresh pictures, look for obvious items....
Finally, then you consider visiting.
There is a concept called buyers remorse. Based on the reduced activity of the total GA fleet, and I seeing more posts about people buying low time aircraft or low engine time and finding corrosion. A plane which has averaged only 40 hours a year does not bode well.

Good luck,

Tim

Rebel,

Expand your search area. The initial inspection is going through the logs with a fine tooth comb. Second step, if the plane is not local is getting on an internet board like POA and asking for someone to take a peak at the plane for you. Get some fresh pictures, look for obvious items....
Finally, then you consider visiting.
There is a concept called buyers remorse. Based on the reduced activity of the total GA fleet, and I seeing more posts about people buying low time aircraft or low engine time and finding corrosion. A plane which has averaged only 40 hours a year does not bode well.

Good luck,

Tim

I appreciate this, I'm going to have a thorough unbiased prebuy inspection, and I will be present.

That bird is way overpriced, IMO.

I just bought this Archer for my flying club (http://www.capcityflyers.org/):

View attachment 54043

View attachment 54044

View attachment 54045

View attachment 54046

It had 6,816 hours total time but only 95 on the engine, overhauled one year ago. It has a 430W instead of the 650, but it has altitude hold on the autopilot. It was meticulously maintained and regularly flown.

We paid $81,000.

A few cautions about the plane you're looking at:

* As others have noted, it doesn't fly much. 345 hours in 9 years means things have been rusting away. Now, if those hours are almost all in the last 3 years, maybe it's OK. If they're skewed toward the beginning of the engine's life, RUN away. Sitting is very bad for airplanes.
* Even though it doesn't have very many hours on the engine, it does have a lot of years. Technically, it's at TBO in three years. For valuation purposes, you should probably put 1500 hours in instead of 345.
* Paint and interior don't make it fly any better, but they do affect people's willingness to fly with you, and your ability to sell the plane when you decide to upgrade.
* Don't restrict your search to planes within an easy drive. We have the Internet for a reason. Use it. If you're going to spend $85K on something, make sure it's worth that.

A few others you may want to consider:
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2250750&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2267591&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2267676&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...del=ARCHER&listing_id=2267086&s-type=aircraft

The plane you posted has a Vref value of about $76K with the hours listed for the engine, or about $64K if you put in 1500 (since you're 3/4 of the way to TBO in years). I wouldn't pay more than $60K for it, and that'd be after a VERY thorough pre-buy.

Sorry to be a downer, but I hope that when you do get an airplane, you're really happy with it!

I agree with all of this minus two points.

Just because a plane is sitting doesn't mean it's "rusting away" if that was the case all of these planes would have over 20,000hrs or would have rusted and blown away in the wind by now.

And VREF is nearly useless, gotta look at the market, sometimes vref is right on, sometimes it's high, sometimes it's low, it's no where consistent enough to base anything off of.

Also having altitude hold and GPSS is a HUGE upgrade if this is going to be a major cross country or IMC machine.

I agree with all of this minus two points.

Just because a plane is sitting doesn't mean it's "rusting away" if that was the case all of these planes would have over 20,000hrs or would have rusted and blown away in the wind by now.

And VREF is nearly useless, gotta look at the market, sometimes vref is right on, sometimes it's high, sometimes it's low, it's no where consistent enough to base anything off of.

Also having altitude hold and GPSS is a HUGE upgrade if this is going to be a major cross country or IMC machine.

Yep I need a machine to get my IFR rating in and I want to fly the wheels off this thing.

I appreciate this, I'm going to have a thorough unbiased prebuy inspection, and I will be present.

Make sure you have a written purchase agreement including the price before you throw money at a pre-buy.

PA24 is much more airplane.

People are funny. Years ago I sold a C-182 for the owners. This plane had known damage history. A previous owner was trying to do some back country landings in a field, floated, hit a tree and actually ripped the right wing off. The repairs were immaculate, plus the metallic maroon and gray paint job looked great at 1 foot. For the time it had a really nice radio stack, plus a new for the time GPS.

I really wanted the plane but could not afford it.

I advertised it as known damage and described all the previous damage. The log books were current and had an extensive write up on the repair work done. Yet one person that looked at it complained that I had miss-represented the plane. :rolleyes2::lol::lol:

I advertised it as known damage and described all the previous damage. The log books were current and had an extensive write up on the repair work done. Yet one person that looked at it complained that I had miss-represented the plane. :rolleyes2::lol::lol:

It sounds like you were straight up about the condition of the plane, which is fine. What I have a gripe about is guys, who like my guy above, represent the plane as NDH, have no record of a gear up and repairs in the log, yet WAS belly landed.

Thought for a second someone was already selling off their Wings of Hope raffle plane... nope. Different tail number.

The good deals, and perfect airplanes, go fast, keep that in mind.

A buddy at work has been shopping for many years, he is very particular, and every aircraft he's been interested in has been gone, most of them the first day the ad comes out.

Back