The perfect plane ever came on the market and my heart is racing.

And before that map the Spaniards stole it from the Mayans. And before that the Mayans stole it from neolithic man. And before that neolithic man stole it from the camels and mammoths.

60k is a bit low for having a fresh OH'd engine. Interior looks to be in good shape and the paint appears to be decent. Avionics are pretty average, but 72.5k-75k would definitely be in the ball park.

Where are my Latinas? I mean actually the ones that want to rock my world. I don't care if you extend that line to Canada, I want some mother.......... ...... latinas.

Where are my Latinas? I mean actually the ones that want to rock my world. I don't care if you extend that line to Canada, I want some mother.......... ...... latinas.

They're busy over in Pancho's tent.

It seems overpriced...interior is very retro why did they do that? And it was overhauled 9 years ago with 345 hours. Its either actually averaged 38 hours a year or has sat a good bit. And calendar wise according to Lycoming its ready for an overhaul in 3 more year. Yeah yeah I know just throwing that out as a bargaining tool geez. Problem is a broker has it and that's why its over priced and they likely wont budge much. Good luck though the avionics on it are nice. And you cant beat an archer, well except for a hershey bar Cherokee..hehe Im thinking 55 to 65 for it but that's me.

Looks like a great plane , I agree it's bit overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dont ever get emotionally attached to a plane. Its a thing. A thing that will eat every dollar not used for food or mortgage.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I would ask some questions when looking at the logs:

- those 345hrs are spread out over 9 years. That's 38/year. How are they distributed ? Any recent long period of inactivity ?
- who did the overhaul ? Are the work-orders from the overhaul available ?
- Superior Millenium Cylinders. Is that particular set affected by AD 2007-04-19 or any of the Service Bulletins surrounding those cylinders (probably not as it was installed after the AD, but you never know if a shop had new old stock on the shelf).
- except for the shiny object of a GTN650, not much in terms of avionics. Is the GTN a certified IFR installation. You should find an AFM supplement specific to this aircraft in the official manual for the plane it if is (dont laugh, I have seen GNS430 installations that nobody ever bothered to certify. Its a paperwork exercise involving the FSBO and some installers are too lazy to do this).
- get an opinion from someone who knows the Cherokee market on how many tens of thousands this seller is off in his asking price.

Nice looking plane. Have a look at her and you may also want to look at other Piper Archer's (online) that are available with similar parameters. You can always find a 'better' deal - the question is, how much time and money do you want to spent to find that deal. Travelling to have a look at a plane on short notice can be quite expensive and you may even have to take vacation on short notice to have a look at the plane before it is off the market again...

I honestly have no idea, what similar Archer's sell for. I can tell you though that we heard everything about theprice of our Mooney: from our Mooney being a steal to being totally overpriced. We were willing to spent the money, the Mooney was relatively close to Detroit and we had a 'new' plane in our hangar after having sold our Cessna 5 weeks prior. The Mooney has everything we wanted (low time engine, IFR equipment, most (if not all) speed mods and was painted four years ago) and we have not regret one minute the money we have paid.

Again, have look at her, take a test flight and decide then. Ask the questions from Weilke's post and if you decide to move forward, have a prebuy / annual done on her. Most important: keep us posted. :D

- except for the shiny object of a GTN650, not much in terms of avionics. Is the GTN a certified IFR installation. You should find an AFM supplement specific to this aircraft in the official manual for the plane it if is (dont laugh, I have seen GNS430 installations that nobody ever bothered to certify. Its a paperwork exercise involving the FSBO and some installers are too lazy to do this).

FSDO involvement is only required for non-STCd installs. Starting with the 430W, the Garmin units are all STCd for most makes/models via an AML. As such, FSDO approval (in the form of a field approval) is no longer necessary for an IFR installation, just compliance with the various requirements in the install manual.

Don't let the asking price scare you away. It's still very much a buyers market.

My 182 was on Trade-A -Plane for over two years. Why? because the asking price was way out of line. I ended up buying it for $12,000 less than the were asking. I had cash in hand & told them I could transfer the money in a few minutes. When I said that they took my offer.

Asking price is just the highest starting point.

That bird is way overpriced, IMO.

I just bought this Archer for my flying club (http://www.capcityflyers.org/):

Exterior.jpg

Interior.jpg

Panel 1.jpg

Panel 2.jpg

It had 6,816 hours total time but only 95 on the engine, overhauled one year ago. It has a 430W instead of the 650, but it has altitude hold on the autopilot. It was meticulously maintained and regularly flown.

We paid $81,000.

A few cautions about the plane you're looking at:

* As others have noted, it doesn't fly much. 345 hours in 9 years means things have been rusting away. Now, if those hours are almost all in the last 3 years, maybe it's OK. If they're skewed toward the beginning of the engine's life, RUN away. Sitting is very bad for airplanes.
* Even though it doesn't have very many hours on the engine, it does have a lot of years. Technically, it's at TBO in three years. For valuation purposes, you should probably put 1500 hours in instead of 345.
* Paint and interior don't make it fly any better, but they do affect people's willingness to fly with you, and your ability to sell the plane when you decide to upgrade.
* Don't restrict your search to planes within an easy drive. We have the Internet for a reason. Use it. If you're going to spend $85K on something, make sure it's worth that.

A few others you may want to consider:
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2250750&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2267591&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2267676&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...del=ARCHER&listing_id=2267086&s-type=aircraft

The plane you posted has a Vref value of about $76K with the hours listed for the engine, or about $64K if you put in 1500 (since you're 3/4 of the way to TBO in years). I wouldn't pay more than $60K for it, and that'd be after a VERY thorough pre-buy.

Sorry to be a downer, but I hope that when you do get an airplane, you're really happy with it!

Compression checkout, corrosion checkout, flying checkout. It IS better to overpay for a really in shape bird because the maintenance headaches and costs will be less. Ive bought two airplanes, and I bought the BEST one I could find of the kind I wanted. On paper, I didn't get a bargain. Happy with what I bought though. And over the long run, it doesnt matter that much. If its really a nice bird, you will get some of the money back when you sell. One hint, offer less that he is asking. Then walk away and wait for his phone call. If you do that you might lose the deal though.

Whether sellers deal frequently depends on how long the plane has been on the market. They start coming down after it hasn't sold for a while.

Sorry to be a downer, but I hope that when you do get an airplane, you're really happy with it!
A thoughtful and informed post, thanks for the input. I know when it comes time for me to buy a plain one day I'll be relying heavily on the brain trust here!

View attachment 54043

View attachment 54044

View attachment 54045

View attachment 54046

It had 6,816 hours total time but only 95 on the engine, overhauled one year ago. It has a 430W instead of the 650, but it has altitude hold on the autopilot. It was meticulously maintained and regularly flown.

We paid $81,000.

* As others have noted, it doesn't fly much. 345 hours in 9 years means things have been rusting away. Now, if those hours are almost all in the last 3 years, maybe it's OK. If they're skewed toward the beginning of the engine's life, RUN away. Sitting is very bad for airplanes.
* Even though it doesn't have very many hours on the engine, it does have a lot of years. Technically, it's at TBO in three years. For valuation purposes, you should probably put 1500 hours in instead of 345.
* Paint and interior don't make it fly any better, but they do affect people's willingness to fly with you, and your ability to sell the plane when you decide to upgrade.
* Don't restrict your search to planes within an easy drive. We have the Internet for a reason. Use it. If you're going to spend $85K on something, make sure it's worth that.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2250750&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2267591&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...=ARCHER+II&listing_id=2267676&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...del=ARCHER&listing_id=2267086&s-type=aircraft

The plane you posted has a Vref value of about $76K with the hours listed for the engine, or about $64K if you put in 1500 (since you're 3/4 of the way to TBO in years). I wouldn't pay more than $60K for it, and that'd be after a VERY thorough pre-buy.

That's a gorgeous bird! Definitely one of the better looking Archers I've seen.

Those seats.....

images

View attachment 54043

View attachment 54044

View attachment 54045

View attachment 54046

We paid $81,000.

That's a gorgeous bird! Definitely one of the better looking Archers I've seen.
Agreed!

Appreciate the input from everyone whether I agree with y'all or not. We are going Tuesday for a demo flight and to look the plane over in person. I'm going to get the prebuy lined up. Guys I really think this is the one, ive been looking for a long time and everything was to far away or not what I wanted. I think our initial offer will be 69k and work from there, but honestly (don't tell anyone) I would pay full price. I JUST WANT AN EFFING PLANE NOW!!1

Appreciate the input from everyone whether I agree with y'all or not. We are going Tuesday for a demo flight and to look the plane over in person. I'm going to get the prebuy lined up. Guys I really think this is the one, ive been looking for a long time and everything was to far away or not what I wanted. I think our initial offer will be 69k and work from there, but honestly (don't tell anyone) I would pay full price. I JUST WANT AN EFFING PLANE NOW!!1
I totally understand your feeling, I was in the same boat as u, it's frustrating to wait and watch. Here is the thing, as long as u get what u want and it makes u happy, that's all it matters, to you anyway. I am the same way. I fixated on the plane well before I had made any offer, I am loving every bit of it, I am sure you will too. Go for it

Just be careful. If it ends up being a disaster it could ruin the flying experience for you.
Take it from someone who got married haha

Just be careful. If it ends up being a disaster it could ruin the flying experience for you.
Take it from someone who got married haha
Agree on the married part

I totally understand your feeling, I was in the same boat as u, it's frustrating to wait and watch. Here is the thing, as long as u get what u want and it makes u happy, that's all it matters, to you anyway. I am the same way. I fixated on the plane well before I had made any offer, I am loving every bit of it, I am sure you will too. Go for it

Trust me I've been fixating on planes for awhile, and every time I wanted to act it was sold the WITHIN HOURS. I'm not letting this one get away.

When this archer ends up being the greatest plane know to man I expect and apology from all the haters and doubters :tongue:

Edit: and if it turns out to be a train wreck then I will be humble and contrite and warn everyone not to make the mistakes I've made. :D

Last edited:
Spend lots of time reading the log books. Go on the FAA website and get the ADs for the engine and airframe and check the logs against the list. There will always be another airplane. I looked for 18 months and walked away from 3 that on paper, looked fantastic.

Wait. Don't rush. Find a good shop for the prebuy. Stop drooling.

Back