The Party is Over

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
I flew my final flight in the MD11 for UPS last night from EDDK (Cologne Germany) to KSDF (Louisville KY). It has been a great thirty years with the usual frustrations and joys. Commercial aviation has changed so much since I got in the business back in 1976 and some for the better and some for worse. As one of our pilots said about retiring "I will miss the animals but not the zoo" and that is so true. The amount of minutiae and the loading of trivial responsibilities on the pilots has removed a lot of the fun from flying, but it is still the greatest career that I could have imagined. A friend tracked me on Flight Radar and sent me these screen shots. We went way north due to the winds and sadly it was dark the whole way (that's the life of a freight pilot) because I would have loved to Iceland and Greenland again in the day time. I started out in Tyler Texas and became an instructor to build time. Was hired at Metro Airlines flying Twin Otters, which became American Eagle and flew corporate on G1's for Conoco before getting a DC9 rating and flying for Emerald Airines in Austin Texas and later Muse Air and Transtar until the shutdown and then Midway in Chicago before getting hired in the first year of UPS operations as their own certificate holder. Just added up the logbook and I am finishing with 23000 hours with only 1280 single engine hours. I flew the 747, DC8, DC9, B757/767 and the MD11. Any professional pilot on here will tell you that the key to a successful career is the family at home and I have the best. (Never divorced which is the key to financial security). Now, we look forward to doing some part time instructing and right seat for some companies around here and flying our Bonanza. I will try to post the screen shots to show our route. The flight took 9 hours and 25 minutes...or as I like to say "building time for the regionals".
For those of you just getting into the business...hang in there...it gets bad at times but it beats working for a living.

Attachments

• IMG_3647.JPG
    IMG_3647.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3648.JPG
    IMG_3648.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3653.JPG
    IMG_3653.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 101
Picture 3652 should come before 3651.

This was a great circle route.

What is the difference between passenger flying and freight? One is self loading the other requires someone to push it on and lock it down...in the cockpit...none...when I flew passengers I didn't really think about the turbulence for them...if it was bumpy, I didn't like it and I found smooth air.

Wow. That sounds a lot like my biography, except I didn't go through that many airlines before I got where I am. And I have 7 years to go. I also will miss the people, but not necessarily the job.

Best wishes to you and your wife in retirement.

Way back in '83 I was the general superintendent for construction of the new concourse for Muse at HOU. I met some really nice folks employed by the airline.

I've always thought living an interesting life, and squeezing as much fun and joy out of it along the way, was the objective. Yours sounds thus! :thumbsup: And you are far from done yet.

"Retirement" is a most overrated status. I know. I tried it. ;)
As you move on to the next phase in your life it's great to hear aviation will remain part of it. Look forward to hearing about some of your adventures with teaching students, and with your Bo.
Congrats!

Congratulations on your great career and retirement. :cheers:

Now get off your lazy duff and do something!

:D

Congrats on the retirement! I’m hoping for a successful career like you had.

Congratulations! I worked for UPS (Not flying, package handling and eventually IT) for 11 years back in the day.

Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement, whatever you do with it.

Congrats on retirement. Good luck with the rest of your life!

Congrats! Hopefully we see you, your wife, and your Bo at Gastons or another PoA flyin!

I've received a lot of packages from UPS over the years. Thanks for that. :)

I'm still just a little sore about you guys leaving it at someone else's house that day and their dog ate my daughters' Christmas presents.

Congrats!

Thanks for the great post. A UPS pilot was a mentor of sorts for me back in my teenage years, and had a big part in steering me towards this crazy career.

Congrats on a career well-played.

MC was a great operation from the passenger's perspective, was disappointed it didn't endure.

What fun you gave had!

Job well done. I do have to push back a bit..the party is just beginning!

Congratulations!

I see you are in Round Rock, just down the street from me.

If you need something aviation related to do in retirement, we always needs mentors to come and work with the kids.

This is my program and we are at Georgetown East View High School. www.tangoflight.org Let me know if you'd like to come check it out sometime.

-Dan

I have a question. Out of all the airliners you've flown, is one your favorite?

Congratulations! A true legend :blueplane:

I flew my final flight in the MD11 for UPS last night from EDDK (Cologne Germany) to KSDF (Louisville KY). It has been a great thirty years with the usual frustrations and joys. Commercial aviation has changed so much since I got in the business back in 1976 and some for the better and some for worse. As one of our pilots said about retiring "I will miss the animals but not the zoo" and that is so true. The amount of minutiae and the loading of trivial responsibilities on the pilots has removed a lot of the fun from flying, but it is still the greatest career that I could have imagined. A friend tracked me on Flight Radar and sent me these screen shots. We went way north due to the winds and sadly it was dark the whole way (that's the life of a freight pilot) because I would have loved to Iceland and Greenland again in the day time. I started out in Tyler Texas and became an instructor to build time. Was hired at Metro Airlines flying Twin Otters, which became American Eagle and flew corporate on G1's for Conoco before getting a DC9 rating and flying for Emerald Airines in Austin Texas and later Muse Air and Transtar until the shutdown and then Midway in Chicago before getting hired in the first year of UPS operations as their own certificate holder. Just added up the logbook and I am finishing with 23000 hours with only 1280 single engine hours. I flew the 747, DC8, DC9, B757/767 and the MD11. Any professional pilot on here will tell you that the key to a successful career is the family at home and I have the best. (Never divorced which is the key to financial security). Now, we look forward to doing some part time instructing and right seat for some companies around here and flying our Bonanza. I will try to post the screen shots to show our route. The flight took 9 hours and 25 minutes...or as I like to say "building time for the regionals".
For those of you just getting into the business...hang in there...it gets bad at times but it beats working for a living.

Congrats on your retirement! I did 24 at a regional and doing some instructing now. Finally getting that spark back for flying that kinda got extinguished at the airline. Cool you got on when they started up. A friend at my regional was hired at UPS at the beginning too, Tom Granholm, you probably know him. Best to you in retirement!

What a nice uplifting post!

Enjoy your retirement!

I have a question. Out of all the airliners you've flown, is one your favorite?

Wow! That is a hard one. The 757 was the most fun because it is just like a 172 with more power than you can imagine, the 747 was just so honest and felt at home, the DC-9's were a hoot and the MD11 required the most staying ahead of...I guess, the MD11.

Congratulations!

I see you are in Round Rock, just down the street from me.

If you need something aviation related to do in retirement, we always needs mentors to come and work with the kids.

This is my program and we are at Georgetown East View High School. www.tangoflight.org Let me know if you'd like to come check it out sometime.

-Dan

I will. I have observed your program via the internet but never got involved due to the time required for my job. I definitely will get with you soon.

Congrats on your retirement! I did 24 at a regional and doing some instructing now. Finally getting that spark back for flying that kinda got extinguished at the airline. Cool you got on when they started up. A friend at my regional was hired at UPS at the beginning too, Tom Granholm, you probably know him. Best to you in retirement!

Yes, I know Tom. Great guy. I was truly blessed to be there. Just knowing the right guy and being in the right place.

it ain't over until.... well....

fat_lady_sings-e1475261073402.jpg

Sounds like ya got what ya wanted out of aviation...... retirement.!!

.....................Now, we look forward to doing some part time instructing and right seat for some companies around here............The flight took 9 hours and 25 minutes...or as I like to say "building time for the regionals".....

LOL. Have fun

Congrats!!! Now you can get into your GA plane and take a nice flight whenever the mood strikes, not because you have to. That is truly liberating. :)

From a fellow freight flyer myself, congratulations on you’re retirement successful career!

Do what all the rest of you guys do.
Buy a warbird and hit the show circuit.
Or buy a warbird and I'll fly it on the show circuit for you.

Either way, congratulations on a new milestone in you life.

Congratulations on finally not having to work, they say it's fun! :)
What were you thinking about instructing? Total newbs for PPL? IR? ME?
Since you're in RR, I assume you fly your Bo out of GTU?
If you are really looking for some extra flying on the side, there are some local outfits looking for qualified ME pilots.

Congrats on the retirement! I'm completely envious of you and wish I could pursue retirement myself. In another decade... maybe. Need to put my son through college...

Sounds like you have a great follow-on career being your own boss and instructing. Good luck!

Congrats! And thanks for all the fish.

Enjoy retirement!

Congrats on your retirement. I have a good friend who's a 747 FO for UPS out of Anchorage. He still has another 20 years to go before manditory retirement. The word's a small place in your line of work.

Congrats on your retirement,now find a hobby,keep the rust off.

Back