The Medicare Alphabet

Murph

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Murph
Well I'm still a few months out but started learning all the little niches and such on the add ons...Its looking like I'm going with a Medigap...not sure about part D

I'm on two low cost FAA approved ;) scripts...at least thats the list for now. Pretty good shape overall. Haven't really started shopping around yet. How about you folks thats been doing this awhile, got a tip or two? Im in Kentucky which I have a feeling will boost the cost.

Thanks!

One problem with Medicare prescription coverage is that if you don't start it within a certain time period then there's a monthly late enrolment penalty to start the coverage later.

You definitely want a D plan. The lowest cost ones are $10 a month.

My wife volunteers for SHINE which is an organization that helps guide people through the Medicare quagmire. We're in FL so there may be some variation with KY. I can ask her to give you call if you want.

My wife volunteers for SHINE which is an organization that helps guide people through the Medicare quagmire. We're in FL so there may be some variation with KY. I can ask her to give you call if you want.
That is great that you are offering help. Sometimes I think I'm smarter than the average person, but when I try to navigate health insurance/Medicare, I feel like a complete idiot. There are so many gotchas its worse than buying an airplane. Often times (usually) the cheapest plan is the most expensive if you have even minor medical expenses. A local, knowledgable broker is your friend. They can save you big bucks and they don't cost you a dime, except for the minor, minor, minor hit to the insurance company profit line, because the insurance company they choose for you pays their commission. Last year, as I was going to renew my existing policy, my broker called me and told me that the insurance company had a better, less expensive policy, but they were ONLY marketing it to new customers. It was available for anyone, but for me to get into that plan I had to first, know about it, and then specifically ask for it. This plan saved us a lot last and this year. And I am hoping it is continued next year, but if not, I know my broker will find me the best available plan for us.

got a tip or two?
FYI: Advantage plans can be very location specific when it comes to level of care and care provider availibility. I'm still several years out but follow this topic regularly since I retired a number of years ago. For some areas it works great but in my area the options are limited so I'll be going the original medicare/supplement route vs an advantage plan. What I've been told by the health care side is advantage plans work best for those who are healthy, dont mind managed healthcare, and live in an area that offers the services they need/want.

FYI: Advantage plans can be very location specific when it comes to level of care and care provider availibility.
This is important. But it also applies to regular Medicare as well as Advantage plans.

Around here (Central Florida) almost every Doctor accepts Medicare because the alternative is not enough clients. Old people are the majority here and if doctors didn't accept medicare, they would be out of business.

But I have friends and relatives that live in the Atlanta area. They claim that it is extremely difficult to find a (good) doctor that accepts medicare. Their reimbursement is lower and the regulations are more onerous.

DonJ

Dropped ya a PM sir
my broker
..but..but,,my broker flys a BONANZA :p
very location specific
06...yep and from the looking I've done this isnt the place to have one

Buddy thought he had it by the tail with his advantage plan..seems a lot of the services that were "covered"..aern't covered by the health care folks he was using.

..but..but,,my broker flys a BONANZA
That's a good thing. It means he is successful. I like to deal with successful people rather than mediocre people or failures.

My wife’s retirement provides me with Parts C and D coverage. In short, everyone gets Part A for free. Part B is optional but beware of the penalties assessed if you defer enrollment. Part B is not free. The government uses a scale for premiums based upon your taxable income. It is NOT covered by other health insurance. At most your other coverage will cover the 20% that Medicare Parts A and B doesn’t cover.

If you have health insurance going into your 65th birthday? Talk to them about Parts C and D coverage.

FWIW, Medicare’s customer service agents are surprisingly good. The payments to my providers, although low using the infamous Medicare payment scale, are prompt. The user portal is easy to use to check claims and payment status.

Look for an Advantage plan that includes Rx coverage. Some of them are zero premium.
That may be the worst advice. Every Advantage plan is different and you have to shop them as your health and the plans change. Advantage plans are managed care, requiring a treatment and prescription approvals and limits on providers. Advantage plans can and do routinely deny care requiring lengthy appeals. Care out of network can be very expensive. Hospital networks can and do drop Advantage plans for reimbursement disputes over contracts and you may find yourself with thousands of people scrambling for new doctors.

You basically have one guaranteed chance to get on a medigap plan which is not managed care. Every plan with the same alpha character is the same nationwide. You go to anyone that accepts Medicare in the US and there are no pre approvals required. You also have 80/20 insurance when traveling outside the US.

Advantage plans are popular with 48% of Medicare recipients because the govt over subsidizes these programs, seniors are relatively healthy when they make their initial decision and many seniors are low income and the word free drives them toward advantage. Don’t depend on this to continue as the Medicare trust fund is running out of money.

Last edited:
My wife’s retirement provides me with Parts C and D coverage. In short, everyone gets Part A for free. Part B is optional but beware of the penalties assessed if you defer enrollment. Part B is not free. The government uses a scale for premiums based upon your taxable income. It is NOT covered by other health insurance. At most your other coverage will cover the 20% that Medicare Parts A and B doesn’t cover.

If you have health insurance going into your 65th birthday? Talk to them about Parts C and D coverage.

FWIW, Medicare’s customer service agents are surprisingly good. The payments to my providers, although low using the infamous Medicare payment scale, are prompt. The user portal is easy to use to check claims and payment status.
You can’t get C (Medicare advantage) without paying a B premium. At age 65 and as long as you are on an approved employer health plan, you do not pay a penalty when when you go on B at a later age.

Last edited:
That's a good thing. It means he is successful. I like to deal with successful people rather than mediocre people or failures.
Not sure that's my guide when they are getting a commission from the insurer. Bernie Madoff was successful right up until he wasn't.

Having said that, I agree with the basic point of doing business with successful people and I don't begrudge anyone having a Bonanza

Having said that, I agree with the basic point of doing business with successful people
I've found the ole birds of a feather flock together to be pretty true over the years.....I mentioned the Bonanza only because he kinda mentions it as a consolation prize..He misses the 310.

Given the amount of advertising poured into Advantage plans it automatically trips alarms for me..

Hey..

Thank you all that contributed...little less dazed and confused now..

Back