The Magenta Line - Sport Aviation article

Could you look up the definition of deduce, deduced, and deductive? If you do, you may find out that "deduced reckoning" does indeed stand up to linguistic scrutiny. And 4 out of 5 living reckoners approve.
You are missing the point.

You will not find any reference to 'deduced reckoning' before the 20th Century.

For several centuries, it was always Dead Reckoning. Somewhere in the mid-20th century, some aviator who didn't understand where it originated or why it was called 'dead', reverse engineered 'deduced' into it because they though it made more sense. But that doesn't change the history or make it right.

Could you look up the definition of deduce, deduced, and deductive? If you do, you may find out that "deduced reckoning" does indeed stand up to linguistic scrutiny. And 4 out of 5 living reckoners approve.

Hmmm . . . Lessee here (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deduce)

Origin and Etymology ofdeduce
Middle English, from Latindeducere, literally, to lead away, from de- + ducere to lead — more at tow

First Known Use: 15th century

And let's do a comparison (https://www.britannica.com/technology/dead-reckoning-navigation)

Dead reckoning
NAVIGATION
WRITTEN BY:
The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica
RELATED TOPICS
Dead reckoning, determination without the aid of celestial navigation of the position of a ship or aircraft from the record of the courses sailed or flown, the distance made (which can be estimated from velocity), the known starting point, and the known or estimated drift.

Some marine navigators differentiate between the course steered and their estimated speed through the water, and the wind, and other factors. Because the uncertainty of dead reckoning increases over time and maybe over distance, celestial observations are taken intermittently to determine a more reliable position (called a fix), from which a new dead reckoning is begun. Dead reckoning is also embedded in Kalman filtering techniques, which mathematically combine a sequence of navigation solutions to obtain the best estimate of the navigator’s current position, velocity, attitude angles, and so forth.

A number of devices used for the determination of dead reckoning—such as a inertial guidance system or have a unit that measures Doppler effects, and some can be programmed to pick up signals from electronic or optical sensing units. The use of more than one such device tends to increase reliability.

chat FEEDBACK
Corrections? Updates? Help us improve this article!Contact our editors with your Feedback.

MORE ABOUT dead reckoning
2 REFERENCES FOUND IN BRITANNICA ARTICLES
Assorted Reference

Sorry, random internet dude, but both Merriam-Webster and Encyclopedia Brittanica have reams of credibility built over a couple of centuries each. Please either provide your credentials and background in language, rhetoric and etymology, or admit that your "definition" of the origin of ded(sic) reckoning has no standing, and that "dead reckoning" is correct. Then go tell whoever gave you that "deduced" fairy tale that they are also wrong . . .

P.S.--I also searched for "ded reckoning," and aside from movies and YouTube hits, found these same links above and other official sources for "dead reckoning." Oh, there were some wiki hits, too, but I ignored them. Why? Because anyone can put anything into wiki, right, wrong or indifferent, with or without research, credibility or liability. Research is really better when you can count on your sources being correct, and not changing what they say from day to day. Hey, maybe I should edit the wiki for "ded reckoning" to say,nothing more than "an incorrect modern spelling of 'dead reckoning' made popular in the late 20th century by poorly educated people and those with poor spelling skills. See entry for 'dead reckoning.'" :eek:

A lot of folks lose visual navigation skills for various reasons.

Pure dead reckoning I've never been crazy about as a practical VFR skill That's picking a heading and time based on winds and hoping the predictions were right. I figure it had its heyday in the time of the early airmail pilots - fly above a cloud deck or in poor visual conditions, calculate where you will be at certain points and with a little skill using and EFB and a lot of luck, you'll be somewhere nearby.

Pilotage, on the other hand - knowing where you are all the time - is, I think, essential. And an EFB can actually help you enhance that skill. The most difficult part of pilotage is comparing the view outside with the chart. And that's as much a function of perspective as anything else. I've seen pilots miss very easy, highly visible landmarks because, being used to ground and streets, they simply have too narrow a view. Literally. They look just below the front of the airplane for the lake 15 miles in the distance.

An EFB can actually help (re)gain pilotage skills. You now have a reference - own ship position, distance rings, distance data, etc etc to use as a crutch* to learn what those relationships are, so you can do lern to do without.

[*I mean "crutch" in the very best sense of the term - a temporary device you need and use while you overcome a weakness.]

Good point.

Now, pilotage I use pretty much constantly. I didn't mean to give the impression that I rely 100% on the GPS, as I'm always referencing the moving map, and my position within it,to what I see on the ground. I just don't write up nav logs and do a bunch of figuring anymore. If I'm going very far, I always study the route beforehand using skyvector.com or something similar, know how long my legs should take, figure the expected fuel burn, etc. Then I dial it up on the GPS and follow the magenta line, making sure it jives with the landscape outside all the time. I always have a bunch of fixes in my head, but I don't usually plot anything on a paper chart.

Hmmm . . . Lessee here (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deduce)

Origin and Etymology ofdeduce
Middle English, from Latindeducere, literally, to lead away, from de- + ducere to lead — more at tow

First Known Use: 15th century

And let's do a comparison (https://www.britannica.com/technology/dead-reckoning-navigation)

Dead reckoning
NAVIGATION
WRITTEN BY:
The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica
RELATED TOPICS
Dead reckoning, determination without the aid of celestial navigation of the position of a ship or aircraft from the record of the courses sailed or flown, the distance made (which can be estimated from velocity), the known starting point, and the known or estimated drift.

Some marine navigators differentiate between the course steered and their estimated speed through the water, and the wind, and other factors. Because the uncertainty of dead reckoning increases over time and maybe over distance, celestial observations are taken intermittently to determine a more reliable position (called a fix), from which a new dead reckoning is begun. Dead reckoning is also embedded in Kalman filtering techniques, which mathematically combine a sequence of navigation solutions to obtain the best estimate of the navigator’s current position, velocity, attitude angles, and so forth.

A number of devices used for the determination of dead reckoning—such as a inertial guidance system or have a unit that measures Doppler effects, and some can be programmed to pick up signals from electronic or optical sensing units. The use of more than one such device tends to increase reliability.

chat FEEDBACK
Corrections? Updates? Help us improve this article!Contact our editors with your Feedback.

MORE ABOUT dead reckoning
2 REFERENCES FOUND IN BRITANNICA ARTICLES
Assorted Reference

Sorry, random internet dude, but both Merriam-Webster and Encyclopedia Brittanica have reams of credibility built over a couple of centuries each. Please either provide your credentials and background in language, rhetoric and etymology, or admit that your "definition" of the origin of ded(sic) reckoning has no standing, and that "dead reckoning" is correct. Then go tell whoever gave you that "deduced" fairy tale that they are also wrong . . .

P.S.--I also searched for "ded reckoning," and aside from movies and YouTube hits, found these same links above and other official sources for "dead reckoning." Oh, there were some wiki hits, too, but I ignored them. Why? Because anyone can put anything into wiki, right, wrong or indifferent, with or without research, credibility or liability. Research is really better when you can count on your sources being correct, and not changing what they say from day to day. Hey, maybe I should edit the wiki for "ded reckoning" to say,nothing more than "an incorrect modern spelling of 'dead reckoning' made popular in the late 20th century by poorly educated people and those with poor spelling skills. See entry for 'dead reckoning.'" :eek:

I never said it was correct one way or another. I simply asked Ron why he was so insistent on "DEAD," as he posted. I'm fine with it, but it seemed to make him more insane than usual. ;) So I asked why. He never really answered why it so personally affronts his sense of propriety, just spouted off about the 18th Century. (Yeah, Ron, I get your point.)

Then you wander by and think that the origin and etymology of a word are its definition. Your link to "deduce" at M-W actually says

1. : to determine by deduction; specifically : to infer from a general principle

2. 2: to trace the course of

And "to use logic or reason to form (a conclusion or opinion about something)"

which looks a lot like a word that could be used to describe a way of determining one's location based on ground speed, heading, time and bearing. Seems to hold up to linguistic scrutiny.

Am I "random internet dude?" I'll have you know, sir or madam, that I am no dude. As for my credentials and background in language, they are myriad. I learned to speak English as an infant, read and write as a young child, and use Google right after Saint Al invented my internet.

I don't care if it's called "live reconnaissance." It's a great tool to use for navigation. A tool to be kept in a pilot's bag of tools, or, as I like to call it, a deducebag.

I'll stick to the OED which is not adverse to picking up revisionist words and they don't even mention the "deduced" nonsense in their entry.

Good point.

Now, pilotage I use pretty much constantly. I didn't mean to give the impression that I rely 100% on the GPS, as I'm always referencing the moving map, and my position within it,to what I see on the ground. I just don't write up nav logs and do a bunch of figuring anymore. If I'm going very far, I always study the route beforehand using skyvector.com or something similar, know how long my legs should take, figure the expected fuel burn, etc. Then I dial it up on the GPS and follow the magenta line, making sure it jives with the landscape outside all the time. I always have a bunch of fixes in my head, but I don't usually plot anything on a paper chart.
I didn't get that impression and you do pretty much the same as I do.

Here is a quote I copied from the EAA discussion years ago when JMac was running things over at EAA. I still get a kick out of it now.

I don't think Mac cares what we say on a forum board; I suspect as long as the EAA check comes on time and clears he's quite content with the job he's doing. And rightfully so - the only one he has to please is the man who does the hiring and firing, just like the rest of us.

I would like to see him in a Champ (he'd probably stroke out in an experimental) out of an uncontrolled field.

"So where's the stack?"
"Um, the handheld radio is right here velcro'd to the panel."
"Where's the GPS, weather updating, terrain avoidance radar, traffic locator or other basic essential instruments for flight?"
"I put a sectional on a knee board for you. You'll have to rely on the glass above and to the sides of the panel for the rest of it. Oh, and monitor and self report on just the one frequency; the other is the current weather."
"Where's the approach plates?"
"Um, I put a sectional on a knee board for you."
"Where's the trim and autopilot?"
"You're in luck - the elevator trim is right here above your left shoulder. The autopilot only engages when the aircraft's speed and elevation are zero and zero, with the mags turned off and the pilot away from the plane with wind on the field. It is also disengaged through the use of tie down ropes and chalks. Trust me, you really don't want the autopilot on."
"This is barbaric!"
"Aw, it should be a cinch for a super computer wizard aviator like you...."

Back