The Great Monkey Race: Progress Thread

Sam D!!!!!! How was the trip?

Hopefully DenverPilot can scrape his way out of the hangar and start monkeying around!

If Nate is able to dig himself out and get here, it will be headed to Denver.

Hopefully DenverPilot can scrape his way out of the hangar and start monkeying around!

I'm all dug out, and the WX looks good to head west on Saturday after this little front blows through on Friday, and predominantly high pressure over the entire region throughout the weekend.

Perfect weather, I'll stuff the O2 on my face and wander over the rocks to make my way over to KGJT and then west. Probably northwest out of KAPA to Rollins/Corona Pass, Kremmling (RLG), down valley to Eagle (KEGE via essentially the RRIVR intersection for those playing the home game), KGWS, KRIL, KGJT and then into Vegas from the northeast.

That is the simplest way "straight across". (This is essentially following the Colorado River west once you're over the Divide...) Then I can see if R-6413 is active outside of Moab once again... (It never is...) so we'll play the home game as JNC, OAB, HVE, avoid whacking into Boulder Mountain, BCE, MMM and play dodge the kids flying fast things out of Nellis... And on into KVGT.

If that looks iffy (high winds or mountain obscuration of any sort) the route will probably be KAPA, Mosca Pass (for those unfamiliar look about 28 miles northeast of the ALS VOR right next to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument on the chart), KAEG for a butt break and fuel, and on to KVGT as long as the San Luis Valley looks good.

Then dodge the Grand Canyon tourists and play "Hi McCarran! Can we wander through all your airliners?"

And if *that* looks crappy (Alamosa and the valley socked in for any reason), I'll go way south and around, still using KAEG as the fuel stop most likely.

(Shhh... We'll still just count the direct route as the mileage to not bend the 500nm leg rule too hard.)

Clark? On the way back in on Sunday do you want me to meet you at KBJC, or will you be busy seeing how Osweiller is doing? Ha.

We'll figure out the transfer later if you're busy. Maybe we'll just hold off on that. Whatever works...

Clark? On the way back in on Sunday do you want me to meet you at KBJC, or will you be busy seeing how Osweiller is doing? Ha.

We'll figure out the transfer later if you're busy. Maybe we'll just hold off on that. Whatever works...

Can meet at BJC if ya want. Shoot me a text with yer ETA, will ya?

One if y'all plot this on a map and update it as it progresses

The trip was great. Two unrequested bravo clearances were received. (I think it was because I was using the call sign Monkey Flight). The weather was great -- totally clear with just a little low lying haze/mist in the Central Valley. My route was O69 -> TTE -> L05 -> L72-> KVGT. I thought I was going to have to take the long way around because the Isabella MOA was hot but Joshua Approach vectored me through the MOA/Trona Gap. The ramp at KVGT was pretty busy as expected from NBAA spillover from KHND.

Sure, so you can execute your terrorist plot, kidnap the monkey, and behead it on a You Tube video...

I'm pretty sure the monkey could take him..........even sealed in an envelope.....the mind powers that monkey possesses.....

Excellent map! (my wife is now fascinated with the monkey race. Wish there had been something like this when I owned a plane, maybe she would have flown more)

Departing APA in about 30 min. Puts me into Vegas early evening. Better ETA once I'm past GJT.

If it comes through DFW, I can get a group to take the monkey out to a nice dinner.

Well got out of APA a little later. Forgot I needed to renew my anti-terror gate badge. Haha.

Got butt kicked a little near Eldora Ski Area which is totally normal for wind out of the Northwest. Mechanical turbulence. Gotta be patient and see if the upper is coming before Rollins Pass. It did. 1000 down and 1000 up AGL in the wheeeee area prior to the pass.

Crossed over and beautiful all the way down valley to Grand Junction via Kremmling, Rifle, Glenwood Springs ...

Departing shortly from KGJT. Grabbing a bite of lunch.

Photos...

dfa922f0e82cefb576a34a3b896c4b25.jpg

b5b8f595f24891b65730d4a3580288c6.jpg

64638d44fcd753af1a7f6dc06164132f.jpg

35b6acb8be392c98113fef74619ffa37.jpg

3a4d58ab742bdf6767fd3ead9c7d1f74.jpg

a7d70f95c850a62e81d1fbb56114fc27.jpg

14eb83d1a344589cabf72e7673f89ac0.jpg

aea860cef416412c0cf2608d6985e8a9.jpg

6e540ed3329b53e3a8984ac1b2dc5540.jpg

bc06229d92c2083f6ba61d8a24b7a9f6.jpg

a14fc28c69363df4a1631744ccc4e9e1.jpg

Is the monkey ,going to get enough time to do some gambling?

The Monkey has done plenty of gambling. He's a little peeved he's going to miss the Mike Tyson autograph signing at the Ceasars Forum shops.

Well got out of APA a little later. Forgot I needed to renew my anti-terror gate badge. Haha.

Got butt kicked a little near Eldora Ski Area which is totally normal for wind out of the Northwest. Mechanical turbulence. Gotta be patient and see if the upper is coming before Rollins Pass. It did. 1000 down and 1000 up AGL in the wheeeee area prior to the pass.

Crossed over and beautiful all the way down valley to Grand Junction via Kremmling, Rifle, Glenwood Springs ...

Departing shortly from KGJT. Grabbing a bite of lunch.

Photos...

Nice!!!

The Monkey has done plenty of gambling. He's a little peeved he's going to miss the Mike Tyson autograph signing at the Ceasars Forum shops.

What? Are you corrupting the monkey?

:)
Did the monkey come out ahead?:)

Great pictures denverpilot. That is beautiful country.

Actually, no gambling so far this trip. I'm a craps guy and my style of playing has a lot of bets on the table. That's hard to do when the table minimums are $25!

Craps are probably best if you don't know what you're doing, and Blackjack is best if you do.

Craps are probably best if you don't know what you're doing, and Blackjack is best if you do.

Craps are also useful when you start feeling some heat from your card counting antics at the blackjack table.

175mph true in a 182P? Are you sure you have the TAS ring set correctly? :D

Sam gave me a ride from the airport (thanks Sam!) and monkey has been transferred.

There's also a bottle of Jeremiah Weed headed back Sac's direction for starting this silliness... Since its alllllll his fault.

69583e58779f74e398f92799d42059f4.jpg

It's been transferred to Sam...

Wow, so... Am I going to get a taste of that?

335127c660f1f1147eee39fb1a8ef97e.jpg

a6b5e8fc195df7cd53c8510c9ff7190e.jpg

809ee1c0b7eaac6870d11db7ab145624.jpg

df6abbcd347714971355c570c92bd00c.jpg

The monkey is enjoying his balcony view. He's gonna go find dinner now. Ha.

4dc098bffe1dd79573b02637bd4aaa18.jpg

Wow, so... Am I going to get a taste of that?

You may not like me after you do. Haha. My wife jokes that it's the only stuff she's ever had to chase with Jagermeister to get the taste out. LOL.

But it's aviation lore and tradition and all that...

I can only handle it once a year but I keep a bottle around in case a fellow aviator visits.

Back