The G1000 - Play with it for FREE / Don't get Intimidated

Are you afraid / Intimidated by the G1000?

• Yes - Something about it confuses me

• No - I'm comfortable with G1000 panels

• I avoid G1000 because of the Tech

Results are only viewable after voting.

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
I had yet another talk with another pilot who was intimidated by the G1000.

There is no excuse for this. You don't even need a checkout course to know what buttons to press.

There is a free simulator by Garmin always up to date and available from this link:
https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/garminapp

I didn't even need a joystick. You can just activate the actual GFC700 autopilot via the soft panel keys just like in a real plane.

Have it fly for you and play around. Make it shoot Coupled Approaches! LOAD IFR STARs and DPs and Routes! You can practice and do it all just like in the plane.

Know how the G1000 Panel and GFC700 autopilot works just by screwing around on your computer!

It’s just learning the menus, plug it into a GPU and play for a hour and you’re good

Keep it VMC for the first few flights

It’s not that hard

I respectfully disagree. Trying to learn the G1000 from a simulator (with no prior experience) is like trying to learn a foreign language using a dictionary.

Last edited:
Why do you think a 6 year old piece of software is always up to date?

If you can use an ATM machine and have spent even 10 minutes with a Garmin 430 the architecture in a G1000 is very straightforward. Big knob chapters, little knob pages. Press the knob to get into a menu and the big and little to do macro, or micro level changes

It looks different, but that shouldn't intimidate someone

I give kudos to Garmin for making a very intuitive piece of tech. The KLN94 and other such nonsense was garbage

Sure... some of the more "advanced" elements like activating legs, etc., may be less intuitive.. but with the big knob, little knob, CLR, and menu button, you can work your way around

"I don't know how to load a procedure?!?!?" <- have you tried pressing the key that says "proc" ?

I think some people like to feel helpless and expect someone else to teach them vs just getting their hands dirty and learning it

**HAVING SAID THAT.. do not fly IMC with it unless you actually are comfortable loading approaching, flying holds, executing or suspending a missed, etc.

Yep. I downloaded two gigs of spoiled meat.
Not quite. I have had a copy of that version for a while. It works fine and is a valuable adjunct to study or training. Even if there has been a software update since then, 90% of the functionality would be there. Still far better that learning it cold in a cockpit.

If you can use an ATM machine and have spent even 10 minutes with a Garmin 430 the architecture in a G1000 is very straightforward. Big knob chapters, little knob pages. Press the knob to get into a menu and the big and little to do macro, or micro level changes

It looks different, but that shouldn't intimidate someone

I give kudos to Garmin for making a very intuitive piece of tech. The KLN94 and other such nonsense was garbage

Sure... some of the more "advanced" elements like activating legs, etc., may be less intuitive.. but with the big knob, little knob, CLR, and menu button, you can work your way around

"I don't know how to load a procedure?!?!?" <- have you tried pressing the key that says "proc" ?

I think some people like to feel helpless and expect someone else to teach them vs just getting their hands dirty and learning it

**HAVING SAID THAT.. do not fly IMC with it unless you actually are comfortable loading approaching, flying holds, executing or suspending a missed, etc.

^
That

....Big knob chapters, little knob pages. Press the knob to get into a menu and the big and little to do macro, or micro level changes.... but with the big knob, little knob, CLR, and menu button, you can work your way around

What are these ‘knobs’ if which you speak?

What are these ‘knobs’ if which you speak?

It's the thing on the lower right of my GTN 750 that, after over a year with the unit in my panel, I have yet to actually touch.

Seriously, not kidding. I was reading the manual the other day and saw it in the pic and I had forgotten it even existed. Touchscreen FTW!

It's not intimidating, just annoying - a crappy UI, which is consistent with the 430, 530, etc. Not sure it's all Garmin's fault, since the FAA has a hand in the requirements.

But it is clunky and awkward - not the UI that's going to the standard going forward, I think

Why do you think a 6 year old piece of software is always up to date?

If you look at the files you can see the latest update was on 6/6/2017

Looks like they added Mac OSX support.

824b9d91ec.png

If you look at the files you can see the latest update was on 6/6/2017

Looks like they added Mac OSX support.

824b9d91ec.png
That doesn't tell you the last update. It tells you the last time it was packaged - when the folders were created. Run the program and on the first screen it will tell you the last updates (...and there is Lesson 1 on how to use the G1000 :D :D).
Temp1.PNG

..thread also proves why you can't trust polls too much.. we have 15 replies at this point (outside this one and the OP) and at least two of you have indicated that you don't like the G1000 however the poll results show that "100% of poll respondents" have no issue with it. Garmin could take that and say how easy it is to use since everyone polled is comfortable with it, yet at least two people up thread disagreed.. perhaps "intimidating" was a poor choice of words in the poll that in itself carries a connotation.. but yeah

..just a small PSA for next time you hear in the news "75% of Americans think X"

..thread also proves why you can't trust polls too much.. we have 15 replies at this point (outside this one and the OP) and at least two of you have indicated that you don't like the G1000 however the poll results show that "100% of poll respondents" have no issue with it. Garmin could take that and say how easy it is to use since everyone polled is comfortable with it, yet at least two people up thread disagreed.. perhaps "intimidating" was a poor choice of words in the poll that in itself carries a connotation.. but yeah

..just a small PSA for next time you hear in the news "75% of Americans think X"
What does that have to do with the poll results?

There are lots of things I don't like or think are junk, but I'm not afraid or confused or intimidated by them or find them difficult.

I can use the radio and input a squawk code. Probably could pull off a flight plan. Not too hard if I can do it.

Back