The FBO asked me: "Why are pilots so cheap"

At least MMU has another FBO on the field besides Signature.

Yup. As long as you don't need to get to your plane after hours or need a hangar or preheat on a cold night.

But I usually try to use the "other".

How many towered, delta class airports restrict entry and exit via an FBO? Is that common?

The ones that I have worked at had multiple FBOs on the field, and all transient was filtered through there. That being said, at the current place we can allow anyone access to the ramp if they have an aircraft on it. The pilot has to provide a photo ID and a pilot certificate. I am happy to get pilots through if they have those documents even though they parked at the other facility.

Just because Greeley doesn't have 121 flights doesn't mean you can't fly into a 121 airport from there. That is where the security lies.. not for Greeley, but for say DEN after a departure from Greeley.

Just because Greeley doesn't have 121 flights doesn't mean you can't fly into a 121 airport from there. That is where the security lies.. not for Greeley, but for say DEN after a departure from Greeley.

You can fly from my front yard to a 121 airport too.Who cares?

Locking up GXY at night isn't adding any security to anything, especially DEN.

There's three airports that are unsecured within a 15 minute flight of DEN, including KFTG which doesn't have a fence anywhere on the field... and that's a two minute flight. If you're too wide on a left downwind for 08, or make your base too far out, you're in the surface Bravo airspace. Hahaha.

Greely's "security" is totally ineffective for the purpose of protecting Part 121 airports. There's plenty of flat land in the eastern half of Colorado where a terrorist would not even need an airport to take off from.

I've been to enough non-towered airports with easy exit but coded entry that I'm cautious when I have to leave through a gate that has some type of electrical/magnetic lock visible.

I hold the gate open and look for some sign that says a code is needed for reentry.

Not so much cheap as "flighty".

Why, that guy hasn't got his feet on the ground.

Fly-by-night.

I got a million of 'em. I'll be here all week.

Everybody is cheap, not just pilots. Even people with lots of dough are always looking for cheap. Why pay more when you can pay less. o_O

I know how much money I pay in taxes every year. I do hate parting with $15/20 per night and paying a $2-3 premium in fuel just to occupy some ramp space at an airport that I paid for.

Everybody is cheap, not just pilots. Even people with lots of dough are always looking for cheap. Why pay more when you can pay less. o_O

That's not necessarily true:

It's all about value, what do I receive in return for amount invested and does it make sense for me to do it, (And it might be different for everyone). (IMO) 15 dollars a night is chicken feed compared to driving all the way to Marathon FL from where I live which would take me 4 hours to drive one way, a tired husband (Me) and a cranky wife is what I would get if I was looking for cheap. Flying to where I need to be, (Cut my time in half) clear flying day. I landed, they took care of the airplane, I paid for fuel stayed for a few nights and went on my merry way. 15 dollars a night was worth it I was a few mins from the beach, (Bahia...my favorite park in Florida) and I had a blast!

Sometimes: It comes down to time or money or BOTH....choose wisely. You can get back money but you cannot get back time and none of us know how much of it we have left.

Sometimes: It comes down to time or money or BOTH....choose wisely. You can get back money but you cannot get back time and none of us know how much of it we have left.

And how do you "get back money" without wasting more of that precious time at work? ;)

Back