Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
My CFI checkride is in six days.
Freakout mode has begun.
I'm printing out lots of stuff, covering my FAR/AIM with little stickynotes, and out practicing my Lazy Awfuls. Which are still awful.

Also collecting stuff for the Big Box of Fun Visual Aids and Toys. Thought y'all might want to have some fun with this... Quiz time! For each of these items, identify:
1) What is it?
2) What concept or topic in aviation can it be used to demonstrate?

Here we go!

#1:
IMG_2326.JPG

#2:
IMG_2323.JPG

#3:
IMG_2327.JPG

#4:
IMG_2328.JPG

#5:
IMG_2320.JPG

I stole... errr.... borrowed a lot of this stuff from the physics demo room at my university.

...And then here's a picture of the Harding Icefield that just happened to be on my phone next to the other ones, and has nothing to do with anything, but I thought y'all might enjoy:
IMG_2293.JPG

(So, CFI's... what's in your toybox?)

#5 is one half of your IFR demo? Don't forget the duck.

#1. Something you almost never have to worry about in a 182
#2. Glass juice
#3. @mtuomi nightmare
#4. Steam juice (or "more right foot")
#5. Hm... more steam juice?

Don’t let all these haters hate! They got so much hate in their souls!

One of the coolest ones I've seen was built by Al Johnson at Burnside Ott.

It was a small plane suspended over a platform with an elastic cord connecting it to magnetic north. Banking that plane gave a very clear demonstration of why you have compass errors when banking from a heading of north and south, with the compass lagging and leading respectively.

I made much use of a little ADF simulator - a little plane with an ADF compass rose on top, again with a string that could simulate a bearing to the station. I may still have that lying around somewhere.

It was a small plane suspended over a platform with an elastic cord connecting it to magnetic north. Banking that plane gave a very clear demonstration of why you have compass errors when banking from a heading of north and south, with the compass lagging and leading respectively.
I used a styrofoam cup with a pencil through it. :)

How about one of these? The only training aid I ever actually bought...
https://www.amazon.com/Wing-Corkscr...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B018W2ALAQ

Oh...on the Lazy 8s, use more pitch and let go of the yoke for 3/4 of each half.

Last edited:
Are you trying to be a CFI or a golf coach with all those wonky tools. call you tin plane

OK, someone will have to explain the "cat and duck" thing, which I've never heard of...

The cat in the photo is not aviation-related in #5, I was just going to bring the "blue thing" to my ride. (It's not even my cat! It's the neighbor cat that comes around and hangs out with me occasionally after receiving his accustomed food offering.)

Just don’t be surprised when your student has an odd look on their face after you start digging around in your bag of toys.

Just don’t be surprised when your student has an odd look on their face after you start digging around in your bag of toys.
And make sure it's not the other bag with the ... ahem ... other toys.

#1: "This is the wrong knot to use to tie your plane down."
#2: "If you don't check your landing light before you take off, you might have to use one of these to find the runway when you come back to land."
#3: "Okay, think quick...you were smoking with one of these and the FAA guy is walking over to ramp check you. You have five seconds to come up with an explanation of what this is for. Go!"
#4: "If you can land a unicycle, you can land a plane."
#5: "This here is to remind you to bring doughnuts to your check ride. I've never had a student fail a check ride when he offered the examiner fresh doughnuts."

#1 - Used to measure how, um, impressive you are compared to your students. Best establish who the alpha is early.
#2 - Hand strengthening device
#3 - Breathalyzer. Can't be having any inebriated students (or instructors)
#4 - Budget Segway. A fast way to get across the ramp and fits in the plane.
#5 - A puzzle game to keep one's mind occupied and alert on long XC. Others read or watch their iPads.

1 - you didn't have a rock for your weather forecaster
2 - manual breast pump
3 - bad color choice on the nails for 1970's paneling
4 - broken leash on your training wheel
5 - cat finally learned that the ball is never coming out

OK, someone will have to explain the "cat and duck" thing, which I've never heard of...

The cat in the photo is not aviation-related in #5, I was just going to bring the "blue thing" to my ride. (It's not even my cat! It's the neighbor cat that comes around and hangs out with me occasionally after receiving his accustomed food offering.)

So, uh, what's the blue thing

Don’t forget to pack the big shoes and the red clown nose with all of that stuff! :)

Have fun on the ride...

Seriously, you plan on dragging all the junk around?

Everything fits in a small box or a flight bag... except for the bicycle wheel, which is bulky but will fit in the trunk of my car.
I'm a physics professor, so I'm used to hauling carts full of weird stuff across campus. And getting weird looks from people. "Why are you carrying a rollercoaster around?"
For the checkride, I'm planning to bring everything. The toys, the books... all of it.

Well, everything except the cat. Unless you want to talk Quantum Mechanics, in which case, that goes in the box. :) <--- (Nerd)

Everything fits in a small box or a flight bag... except for the bicycle wheel, which is bulky but will fit in the trunk of my car.
I'm a physics professor, so I'm used to hauling carts full of weird stuff across campus. And getting weird looks from people. "Why are you carrying a rollercoaster around?"
For the checkride, I'm planning to bring everything. The toys, the books... all of it.

Well, everything except the cat. Unless you want to talk Quantum Mechanics, in which case, that goes in the box. :) <--- (Nerd)

You will make a great ground school instructor.

Don’t forget to pack the big shoes and the red clown nose with all of that stuff! :)

Have fun on the ride...
The best use of a clown nose I ever heard of was in one of Penn and Teller's books (I think), where they suggest gluing a round piece of red foam rubber over the nose on your drivers license photo. Then, the next time you need to show it at the store (for writing a check, buying booze, etc.), while the cashier looks at your license, surreptitiously slip a clown nose on so that when the cashier looks up in bewilderment, your picture in fact does match your appearance.

Hi Kath.
I would just replace the bike wheel with a spinning top, and ignore the nay Sayers. Whatever you can do to explain something in terms that your student understands will be very helpful.

My CFI checkride is in six days.
Freakout mode has begun.
I'm printing out lots of stuff, covering my FAR/AIM with little stickynotes, and out practicing my Lazy Awfuls. Which are still awful.

Also collecting stuff for the Big Box of Fun Visual Aids and Toys. Thought y'all might want to have some fun with this... Quiz time! For each of these items, identify:

(So, CFI's... what's in your toybox?)

You should have seen the first airplane I drew!

There is a fairly recent (as in this decade) lesson plan book that someone wrote, that has truly awful lesson plans in it (not building block based at all) but has samples of how you’d draw things on the board for each lesson, in stick figures in the right margin.

That book came in handy only for that part of it. :)

I wouldn’t use those lesson plans though. Not in the order they’re in, for sure.

IIRC that experiment doesn't go well for the cat...

Good luck on the checkride.

Back