The Best Time to Own a Plane in Years is NOW

Maybe in your world. In ours, motorcycling is about long rides, sometimes a couple of days each way or more, often towing a small cargo trailer with all our stuff. We stay off the Interstate as much as we can and enjoy the ride. It takes longer than driving, but is a hell of a lot more fun. And we never stop at bars... I decided early on that one beer while riding was one past my personal limit.

I wish you were the norm. One of the best things about aviation is the erudite company I keep (at the bar!). I have not seen that in the motorcycle community, and I doubt it is there in the sports car community based on what little I have seen.

I wish you were the norm. One of the best things about aviation is the erudite company I keep (at the bar!). I have not seen that in the motorcycle community, and I doubt it is there in the sports car community based on what little I have seen.
I quit competitive driving partly because there was a such a high percentage of hyper-egotistical jackasses that it made any social events just painful. Even the racing events were partly an exercise in avoiding people.

We've met some really nice, smart, decent people motorcycling. You just have to avoid the poker runs and that sort of crap. Cross country touring riders are generally pretty good people to be around. Not a bunch of drunken fools, but not boring either. We don't do the club thing (HOG, GWTA)... they seem to always devolve into more club/social business than actual riding.

Maybe in your world. In ours, motorcycling is about long rides, sometimes a couple of days each way or more, often towing a small cargo trailer with all our stuff. We stay off the Interstate as much as we can and enjoy the ride. It takes longer than driving, but is a hell of a lot more fun. And we never stop at bars... I decided early on that one beer while riding was one past my personal limit.
Again -- not my experience at all. Sports cars for me were more like, "Screw the wax, it doesn't make the car faster", a day spent racing, and usually skipping the so-called "social" activities. We're not big drinkers, and many of our fellow enthusiasts were people I don't mind racing against but sure as hell don't want to drink with.
Wow. And you fly... why, exactly?

PPC1052, don't' let it get you down. It's an Internet forum, so you have to take everything with a large dose of skepticism and a grain or two of salt.

It's a joke man, relax. Perhaps you just need a beer?:)

You just have to avoid the poker runs and that sort of crap.
Years ago I lived with a guy who was into motorcycling. I even had one for awhile. I went to some of these events. Ride a little, go to a bar, ride some more, another bar. I didn't seem to have anything in common socially with the people there either so I quit participating.

Years ago I lived with a guy who was into motorcycling. I even had one for awhile. I went to some of these events. Ride a little, go to a bar, ride some more, another bar. I didn't seem to have anything in common socially with the people there either so I quit participating.
Yeah, we don't do "events" either. We just ride. Once in a while we'll ride with friends. We did a few poker runs and decided it wasn't for us. We'll do "bike night" at one of the local restaurants maybe once a year, just to see some of the bikes... but it's really not our thing.

Ha ha! I rode with some folks in a Harley group a few times, you omitted that part between each event where they stop and fix something on their bike :wink2:

Geesh, if you don't have anything in common with them; that's a real slam. You seem to find common ground with everyone to me.

Best,

Dave

So this is the motorcycle thread now? :D

I was always into British bikes, so I always had Triumphs, and Nortons well after their time had come and gone (80's, 90's). They were quite reliable also. Way more than Harleys.

Then I took up..........flying. :rolleyes:

I know Harleys from the 60s, 70s, 80s had a reputation for being unreliable. My '78 Honda needed frequent repairs, too. Our Harley that we bought in '05 (2 year old '03 model) has been rock solid; the very few things we've had to fix were pretty low impact and we've never once had to break out the tool roll by the side of the road. But, legends die hard.

I want to buy a complex airplane to do my instrument, commercial, cfi in, but I think sellers want too much for what they've got. :dunno:

I know Harleys from the 60s, 70s, 80s had a reputation for being unreliable. My '78 Honda needed frequent repairs, too. Our Harley that we bought in '05 (2 year old '03 model) has been rock solid; the very few things we've had to fix were pretty low impact and we've never once had to break out the tool roll by the side of the road. But, legends die hard.

I rode my 66 XLCH 230,000 miles and it never left me standing.

I want to buy a complex airplane to do my instrument, commercial, cfi in, but I think sellers want too much for what they've got. :dunno:

You are right. Just wait a couple of hours for reality to set in.:lol:

My 76 Honda went 24K miles needing nothing. I've yet to have a Honda break except wear items. My 83 Goldwing still runs strong with over 80K miles on it. Dependability with Harleys and dependability with Hondas are different animals entirely.

You like Harleys and you are entitled to your tastes. We're brothers of two wheels, and I wouldn't denigrate your choice. Well, I might, but not today. But let's not make Harleys out to be what they aren't. They don't hold up like some of their brethren. Doesn't mean they don't have their charms.

I rode my 66 XLCH 230,000 miles and it never left me standing.

I rode my '66 Honda 160 maybe 1000 miles, and pushed it as often as I rode it.

Of course, this was in the late 70s, after they made it the law to ride with your headlight on 24/7. The little alternator (generator?) on the Honda couldn't keep the battery charged with the headlight on all the time, so eventually the poor thing would just...die. :mad2:

Back