Andrew Byrd

Aug 31, 2017
Display Name

Display name:
Hello all,
I am new to the forum world, so please excuse any errors that I make. I currently have my PPL ASEL and am looking at doing an accelerated course to get my IR. The flight school I'm wanting to attend offers a 10 day multi-engine course as well, so I was wondering if I should go ahead and get my multi now, or wait until commercial. I understand that even if I do it now, I'll still have to do it again for my commercial training, but I want to start getting the experience now. Also, I enjoy flying with friends and family, and I believe a multi-engine would be a nice upgrade. Another thing I'd like to do is Angel Flights. Multi's aren't requirement, but they would definitely be a convenience. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Another thing, if I do decide to get my multi as a private pilot, should I do it before I get my IR so I can log multi PIC? The end goal is to eventually become a corporate pilot or charter pilot.
First off, welcome to POA!

I am in a similar boat as you but not exactly. I have a PPL, IR and currently working on CPL (single). When I am done, I will do multi/commercial multi at the same time. I would definitely do the IR next, a CPL assumes you have an IR (though not required) and will make the knowledge part of the CPL easier with everything you learn from the IR. Plus, you will have restrictions on your CPL if you do not have an IR. Some suggest the accelerated/drink from the fire hose IR course, others do not. Unless you are planning to go straight to a flying job that's going to be training you more anyway and you will be flying a lot /need to do it quickly, for a recreational IR guy (to start out at least), you will get a lot more out of a standard longer IR course with a local flight school. The accelerated one will get you the ticket but you will forget and miss out and quite a bit.

My advice...IR first, then once your IR is done, I would then do your CPL (single). Commercial Multi and Commercial Single are two different things. If you get your private multi first, then go get your CPL single for example, you will have to go back and get a commercial multi. If you have a commercial single as your initial commercial, then you can get your multi engine and commercial multi at the same time, saves you a checkride. You will also want your IR before multi engine or you will have restrictions again I'm not sure where you are in the country, but around here there is a place you can get your multi engine/multi engine commercial in two days.

There are many way smarter and experienced pilots on here than me, but to summarize...

Instrument Rating (Traditional/Non-Accelerated if you can manage it) > Commercial Single > Multi/Commercial Multi >whatever else

Just my two cents.

Also something to keep in mind, once you have a commercial, add-ons all become commercial as well, if not you would have do do multiple rides to go back and turn private ratings into cmx. For instance, if you want a sea plane rating one day (which I do) if you are already commercial, your seaplane rating you get will be commercial. Just something to keep in mind.
If I was in either of your positions, I would seriously consider buying @Jeff K 's plane he has posted here and fly the heck out of it. Probably the cheapest way to get the multi hours.
Personally, I would suggest not reinventing the wheel. I'd follow the relatively standard progression that most people do:

Private ASEL to Instrument to Commercial ASEL to Commercial AMEL. The only thing I would possibly consider switching would be the Commercial ASEL and AMEL. If you do the Commercial Multi as the initial rating you'll have more multi time when you take the checkride than you would if you did it as an add on, but that time is not PIC time and it comes at considerable expense.

Either way you're going to have minimal multi time at the end of the training. Multis often aren't readily available for rent without an instructor so you're probably not going to get a lot of multi time unless you make friends with someone with a twin, you buy one yourself, or you start instructing in one.

If the end goal is professional aviation I'd focus on getting the commercial single engine then work on your instructor ratings. Once you have them you can start building time then come back and get the multi add on and MEI as time permits.
There is many different ways to do this, what works best for you may not be good for someone else. I'll just share how I did it. I did. private ASEL, Instrument (in single), commercial multi-engine, commercial single-engine add on, CFI, (did my commercial single seaplane while working on my CFI), CFII, ATP

I have had friends that have done every which sort of variation you can imagine and they have all been successful, think about your end goal, and what you think will be the best fit for you.
I'm going to add another opinion (I did mine PP->IR->CP).
I would do PP->CP->IR. After your private, you are much more in the VFR studying mindset. CP checkride has a lot about sectional charts and stuff you already have "fresh" in memory from your private checkride prep. Also, CP checkride is a visual ride, just with different (and more fun!) maneuvers, and tighter standards. I would do commercial before IR (assuming you have the hours to do so).
Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. All of which are ways to get the same thing done. One problem I have is that a local flight school is not really an option I see as far as doing training, because I live just south of KCHA, so there aren't many flight schools around here, and the ones that do exist, well, I don't think I'd feel comfortable in their planes. As of last night/early this morning after I made the OP I discovered a place in Ft. Pierce called Aviator College, and they offer a 150 hours of multi course, and the path they use is: PP Multi add on, instrument rating, then multi commercial. The cost comes out to about $37,000 which is not bad when considering 150 hours of multi time, an instructor for all of that, and housing. I have yet to get the nitty gritty details, but they have told me that the $37,000 is not a flat rate, which wasn't expected. I really like that path of PP Multi Add on, then IR, then Multi commercial, because I can log PIC for a A LOT of that 150 hours. I understand this path won't get me all my ratings that I'll need to instruct/build hours/be a career pilot, but it takes out a huge chunk for a decent price.
I finally made it past 5 post so I can post links now. I found this last night, and I can definitely understand this logic.

$170/hr for multi rental. No wonder it sounds too good to be true (that ain't happening).
The "option one" is just not realistic. $40 for MEI and $170hr for multi rental. Not possible.
$170/hr for multi rental. No wonder it sounds too good to be true (that ain't happening).
The "option one" is just not realistic. $40 for MEI and $170hr for multi rental. Not possible.
I definitely agree the pricing is a little whacky there, but if you look at the scenario of the two people that he discusses towards the end of the post, thats what got me
I definitely agree the pricing is a little whacky there, but if you look at the scenario of the two people that he discusses towards the end of the post, thats what got me

Unless their modus operandi has changed in recent years, it makes a whole lot of sense: Quick private, quick Multi, hour-build at night in crews of two with LHS under the hood, flying across FL, landing, switching crews, back. Their planes get much more flying time, you might be more employable lateron (100 hrs multi requirement back in the day, not sure that is still that important nowadays with the ATP requirement for regionals). So you get safer flying with a twin, and much more multi crew time at split costs, offsetting the twin costs.

So unless you buy a powered glider (or move to Europe) to build insane hours with thermals that are for free, is a solid option. Or buy an IFR certified cheap trainer (Cherokee 140) to do 230 hrs in it, including ASEL/ IR. Then complete the rest of the 250 hrs in ME, CMEL/ IR, CFI/ CFII in your own aircraft and fly up to the magic 1500 hrs, sell the a/c, fly jets for decades.

Aviator is good for those who are self starters. If you need spoonfeeding.. well...

Hit the books, that's the most important money saver. Backseat with others as much as possible.