The Best IFR Hood

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Any PIREPs on these?

http://bestifrhood.com/hood/

$(KGrHqF,!jcFC3rBNy3PBQ5(6OMLmg~~60_35.JPG
hood9.gif

Works just fine. A have a set of Vibans in a drawer at home but the flat "Best" fits in my flight bag so much better.

I also have Vibans, but am looking for a low cost solution that's compatible with reading glasses (end of nose cheaters)

Wish I had one. Looks like a decent option though. Lightweight and cheap.

I doubt you can get lower cost unless you figure out the template (it's pretty simple, really, but he gets my $5 for coming up with the idea) and have access to some old legal size manila folders.

They really do fit just like in the photo. It's really just a cut and folded sheet of manila about the size of an opened legal-size folder, rounded to fit on the head end, with a strap stapled to it.

Fits comfortably and not only will it fit over your glasses, but you can put on and take off your glasses without removing it.

I would think foggles would fit over readers, no? Stick-on reader lense on top of the foggles?

I would think foggles would fit over readers, no? Stick-on reader lense on top of the foggles?

Wearing Foggles with glasses can be done but is very annoying. I find the lenses of the Foggles and my glasses don't line up, and as I result I end up looking through the rim. Also I don't like the sun glare that Foggles are subject to.

I use the gray ASA hood; since it's flexible I can coerce it into my flightbag. But the cardboard one in the OP seems like a good option. Haven't tried it though.

Traditional foggles I'm not a fan off. The few that I used (looked like safety glasses that had most of the viewing lens abraded) weren't comfortable and would cause a bad and blinding "lens flare" when I turned into direct sun.

For my need, the viewing distance to the panel is very comfortable and no problem. It's the yoke mounted iPad that requires the reading cheaters. I can make out most of what is displayed on the tablet, but with fuzzy edges. Cheaters I now carry with me to avoid the eye strain headaches after longer flights.

We all have stories from other people, but my DPE made it very clear to me and all of the flight instructors that she will not allow foggles. Early on in her career she had an IFR applicant that had been trained using foggles. The story goes something to the effect of she was never comfortable that the foggles did a decent job at limiting view because you can still get visual cues from your peripheral vision. She allowed them at that point, but never felt comfortable with them. She had an applicant that passed, and then on his first IMC flight after he got his IR he got disoriented and pounded dirt. That really hit home with the DPE and she never again allowed foggles. Hoods only. Sad story, but a heads-up when it comes to foggles.

I use 'the best' ifr hood and it's been great. Compatible with baseball hats and glasses. Recommended.

in the OP, looks like its made from a used Chinese food container.

I also used the Jepp Shades and found them to be wonderful. Being able to flip up the white part without disturbing the headband itself was really nice. Transitioning from approach into a visual landing then back into "imc" after another takeoff was super easy.

My favorites for wearing with glasses are the ASA Overcasters. They clip on the glasses and flip down to restrict view, or up for visual operation. By clipping on the eyeglass frame they don't compromise the seals of my headset's ear cups, and being able to flip up and down makes it quick and easy to transition back and forth between VMC and simulated IMC.

http://www.asa2fly.com/Overcasters-P168.aspx

Lol. Yeah reminds me of one of these
0810-classic_cone_on.jpg

I'd just get some foggles if you must.

Better to just fly in IMC or the sim IMO. Going from VMC to IMC to VMC to IMC is much more of a challenge than just flying a panel with the outside world blocked off.

I have some Jepp Shades that I did like, but they have not stood the test of time. I read across the webs that I am not the only victim of attachment points breaking and the neoprene headband delaminating. But when they were functional, I liked them for the same reasons you listed.

I switched to the Best IFR hood midway through my instrument training because I didn't think the foggles made sense and didn't fit well.

The first day I wore it, I can't remember what maneuver I was doing (steep turns?) but I became disorientated, heard my flight instructor laughing and saying, "I guess the Foggles really are cheating" or something to that affect. We also tumbled the attitude indicator IIRC which was a first for him and I.

Portability is great and it definitely works.

I love these ASA Overcasters. Used them on both checkrides and no issues from different DPE's. Very comfortable and easy to store. Plus pretty cheap around $16

ovcast1.jpg

I use one of these and it works fine with my glasses.

francisifrhood.jpg

I have 4-5 IFR hoods/glasses but I found the "bestifrhood" to be the best. I just knocked out my IR last year and used it for all the training. It inexpensive and you should definitely give it a try.

I also used, and liked, the ASA Jiffyhood. I forgot it once during my training and was sentenced to foggles as a punishment. Never forgot the Jiffyhood again!

Another vote for the ASA.

I have some foggles that can clip on my glasses if needed but they're more in the bag for actual where there's something out the window being a distraction like a cloud layer that isn't level and has a slope to it, or they're not truly too awful for night work when the location on my head for the ASA often has a headlamp on it.

(By the way you CAN wear the ASA *and* a headlamp, headlamp has to go on top. And boy do you look like a dork.

But it's functional right up until you get the "raise the hood you see the runway" and you push the ASA up and block the light. Hahaha.

I use one of these and it works fine with my glasses.

francisifrhood.jpg

I bought one of these once. They're terrible for transitioning from simulated to visual, as the don't really fit over headsets. These things were designed back in the days of no headsets. They will give you tunnel vision, as it's like looking through two TP rolls. You have to move your head to look across the panel to the radio stack, inducing vertigo. It's awesome.

That said, if you can fly IFR with this torture device, actual IMC will be a real treat.

Don't tell me nobody here took regular safety goggles (got several pairs at home) and covered the top and sides with duct tape. Please don't tell me I'm the only one. :eek:

My CFI during my primary training said "No need to waste $20 on real foggles that you'll use only for a few hours. You got safety goggles and duct tape, no?"
When I showed up for my next lesson with said "duct-oggles" (I am going to coin this word!), he was laughing hard "You know I was just joking, right?" Umm, thanks, too late. :lol:

I got by with foggles. They did the job. I tried bulkier stuff, too much hassle. Foggles work.
Stories about DE's that dont like them. Mine didnt mind. He used them too.

None of them are like real IMC. And you have to get some of that.

Last edited:
I actually considered, but haven't yet tried, coloring the frosted part of the foggles black with a Sharpie to see if that would help make them appear more gray instead of bright white in direct sunlight. :dunno: But I agree with others that is a downside of Foggles.

Based on some feedback from various folks, I did order some. I'll provide a PIREP once I've had a chance to use them.

I bought one of these once. They're terrible for transitioning from simulated to visual, as the don't really fit over headsets. These things were designed back in the days of no headsets. They will give you tunnel vision, as it's like looking through two TP rolls. You have to move your head to look across the panel to the radio stack, inducing vertigo. It's awesome.

That said, if you can fly IFR with this torture device, actual IMC will be a real treat.

That's kinda why I use them. IDK, maybe that makes me a masochist ;)

Don't tell me nobody here took regular safety goggles (got several pairs at home) and covered the top and sides with duct tape. Please don't tell me I'm the only one. :eek:

My CFI during my primary training said "No need to waste $20 on real foggles that you'll use only for a few hours. You got safety goggles and duct tape, no?"
When I showed up for my next lesson with said "duct-oggles" (I am going to coin this word!), he was laughing hard "You know I was just joking, right?" Umm, thanks, too late. :lol:

I did something similar. A pair of $3 safety glasses from Home Depot and a sanding sponge. I taped-off the section I wanted to keep clear, sanded the rest to make it opaque like real foggles, and voila!

I did something similar. A pair of $3 safety glasses from Home Depot and a sanding sponge. I taped-off the section I wanted to keep clear, sanded the rest to make it opaque like real foggles, and voila!

Smart.

I have ordered some of the "Best" design.

Once they arrive, I'll provide photos and additional details.

That's why I prefer my duct-tape version because the opaque foggles can light up easily with any source of light and it is not pleasant and not easy to read instruments.

I was going to answer beef jerky because I swore that said food and not hood.

I use the cheap ASA Jiffy Hood since Foggles don't fit over my glasses and I had it from my private pilot training days so one less expense.

I use the francis hood (though I do dremel out the middle a bit). I've tried them all. It's the only one that I can wear for hours.

Back