The almost fatal crash

ahmad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Midwest Aviator

This was painful to listen to. This guy was incredibly lucky.

That was tough. Lucky didn’t auger in. Really seems to try to Couple of times.
Is this a yT personality??

original vid:

Video unavailable
This video is private

alternative link?

The audio sounded like startle factor from a/p misconfigured or kicked off/turned off --> basic aircraft control deficiency. Unless it truly did 'lock things up' as described.
If you were always used to the a/p handling things right away after t-o, then meandering on alt and hdg/track could be expected.
(I do not judge the pilot harshly.)

Can’t fly a plane without autopilot?

Is this a yT personality??
Nope. We were talking about his with my A&P today. According to her, he’s apparently a 40 something commercial pilot based at KSBP who was hired by the owners of the plane to fly them. The owner’s family and their dog were in the back of the plane at the time.

original vid:

Video unavailable
This video is private

alternative link?
Don't bother. The second link in post #3 is more to the point.
We were talking about his with my A&P today. According to her, he’s apparently a 40 something commercial pilot based at KSBP who was hired by the owners of the plane to fly them.
Perhaps it's just me, but the autopilot breaker location would be one of the first things I'd memorize in an unfamiliar plane. Worst case, I'd turn off the master switch.

I have a very basic autopilot with a switch on the stick for disconnect, another disconnect switch on the unit, a power off button on the unit, another power off switch on the panel, and I know where the fuse is. Above all that is the ability to physically override the AP with brute force. This can't be that hard...

Unless he was man-handling the controls the entire time, flighting against an autopilot that wouldn’t disengage, I’m thinking there is more to the story.

Unless he was man-handling the controls the entire time, flighting against an autopilot that wouldn’t disengage, I’m thinking there is more to the story.
Runaway trim?

According to Gryder, it seems extremely doubtful the pilot had *any* solo IMC time in the type. Yet there he was, and with passengers.

According to Gryder, it seems extremely doubtful the pilot had *any* solo IMC time in the type. Yet there he was, and with passengers.
I have found that Gryder is more about drama and condemnation than reality.

I do agree that this pilot made some poor decisions.

It is amazing to me that the pilot didn’t run into one of the many nearby hills as SBP is very much in a valley.

Hopefully he will get some training before the next time he takes off in the rain.

I feel Santa Barbara approach did a great job of working with the errant pilot.

I have found that Gryder is more about drama and condemnation than reality.
His style is similar to many of the main stream media news outlets, though toned down just a little bit. Drama, sensationalism, shock. He knows viewers get sucked into it.

Hell, gryder gets viewers that are annoyed by what stupid thing he’s going to say next so they have to watch to find out.

And Gryder knows that how? There seems to be two actual pieces of data, the ADSB track and the ATC tape. You might infer skills from the combination of those two, but Gryder's guess is no more informed and as no better than anyone else's. I doubt Gryder has access to the PIC's logbook, heck, we don't know for sure who was PIC.

Back