That other G6 Cirrus

Wow, $564'900 for the GTS SR20 according to this. You can probably offer that on this one instead and get yourself a GTS SR22T instead, albeit a 2013 model.

You got to REALLY love the new airplane smell to go for the SR20 as a personal plane.

I feel the same way about new cars and always buy used, but there are always people who prefer new.

Wow, $564'900 for the GTS SR20 according to this. You can probably offer that on this one instead and get yourself a GTS SR22T instead, albeit a 2013 model.

You got to REALLY love the new airplane smell to go for the SR20 as a personal plane.

That sounds about right, I was guessing $550k in post#9.

The used SR22s are starting to look interesting. There is the wing change and other improvements when the G3 came out (more fuel, more dihedral, wing placement for CG) were significant. It's been almost ten years since those were introduced.

I feel the same way about new cars and always buy used, but there are always people who prefer new.

Yeah but airplane depreciation is measured in hundreds of thousands of dollars. And often if well maintained there is little real difference between new and even ten years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but airplane depreciation is measured in hundreds of thousands of dollars. And often if well maintained there is little real difference between new and even ten years old!

Demand collapsed during the financial crisis and doesn't seem to have fully recovered. Demographics is doubtless playing a role in this too. I am amazed at how much airplane one can buy for the $ these days. Well equipped, latemodel airplanes like Mooney Ovations are going for well under what they would have commanded not many years ago. It's getting to the point where once coveted V-tail Bonanzas are going for less than the engine/prop/avionics salvage value.

I'd agree that there are some amazing Bo and Mooney values out there, which can both be faster than a million dollar new Cirrus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine how fast you could go with an old Learjet !

Really fast... for the 5 minutes you can run the thing until you're out of fuel.

I think the biggest drawback of the SR20 is the climb performance. A little over 700 fpm at sea-level on a cool day. Now talk hot summer days or high altitude or both, and the climb performance is really anemic. I would definitely take a DA40 over an SR20, but the SR22 is a much better performer, and worth the extra $$.

I'm an odd ball, I actually like the SR20.... It was my first and only bird. It is significantly more comfortable than the Da40, or at least it was when I bought one. I was really hoping that the Delta Hawk Diesel was going to work out. That would have been a cool ship.

The real game changer is that for the first time, cirrus has allowed a Lyco installation, which negates the need for the chute. :D

Joking aside, I'd be a crazy enough mofo to rip out the conti and put the lyco on an old gen 1 sr20 if an STC add to the standing TCDS would allow for it. The problem is that horsepower. The Cirri are fat dumb heavy turkey hotel pre-molded bathtubs. That airframe would be sweet with a 250 parallel valve Lyco, cheap to overhaul too. Then again, pretty much anything would be sweet with a parallel valve 540 on it.

As a serious question, what would this take?

hindsight2020 said: The Cirri are fat dumb heavy turkey hotel pre-molded bathtubs.

The world champion acrobatic aircraft is the carbon fiber Extra 330SC with fiberglass fixed gear. Guess the cast iron bathtubs are the metal planes.

As a serious question, what would this take?

Taking the aircraft out of its TCDS and going experimental. None of the exp categories are useful for recreational/pax/travel use, only the amateur-built. Part 23 re-write had recommended the creation of a 'primary non-commercial' category, that would effectively allow these certified cans to be maintained and modified with the same allowances as the EXP-AB category, while retaining the recreational use they enjoyed as standard AWC aircraft, sans commercial/revenue/flight instruction work. In essence making them EXP-AB airplanes in spirit. Guess where that went, even after POTUS 43 signed the legislation into law? Yeah. It's never gonna happen.

hindsight2020 said: The Cirri are fat dumb heavy turkey hotel pre-molded bathtubs.

The world champion acrobatic aircraft is the carbon fiber Extra 330SC with fiberglass fixed gear. Guess the cast iron bathtubs are the metal planes.
Lol what a cheap straw man. You get that at Walmart on sale?

Doesn't the SR-20 TCDS now include the IO-390? I'm making an analogy to the 7ECA 150hp conversions... Perhaps (likely) an oversimplification. Going EX isn't what I'm talking about...

Taking the aircraft out of its TCDS and going experimental. None of the exp categories are useful for recreational/pax/travel use, only the amateur-built. Part 23 re-write had recommended the creation of a 'primary non-commercial' category, that would effectively allow these certified cans to be maintained and modified with the same allowances as the EXP-AB category, while retaining the recreational use they enjoyed as standard AWC aircraft, sans commercial/revenue/flight instruction work. In essence making them EXP-AB airplanes in spirit. Guess where that went, even after POTUS 43 signed the legislation into law? Yeah. It's never gonna happen.

Lol what a cheap straw man. You get that at Walmart on sale?

Doesn't the SR-20 TCDS now include the IO-390? I'm making an analogy to the 7ECA 150hp conversions... Perhaps (likely) an oversimplification. Going EX isn't what I'm talking about...

Oh you mean slapping an IO-390 into a Conti-engine'd SR20? That should be the easiest to do, though I'm not sure if it would be an immediate thing or would it require an STC process. Depends how they re-write the TCDS I suppose. If they make it an "available" engine for all serial numbers of the SR-20, then yeah it's easy. If not, it's gonna need an STC and that's where the economics go to hell for a one-off.

I don't see a market for such a retrofit, though I too would be one to pursue a Lyco conversion of a conti airplane, if I truly believed it was my forever airplane, resale value upside down be damned.

I'm an odd ball, I actually like the SR20.... It was my first and only bird.
Same here. I know the SR22 has a lot more bells and whistles. But for a lower-ish time person like me who doesn't need to worry about turbos, icing, O2, etc. the SR20 to me is still a superior traveling machine than a 172 or Archer or Warrior... even the brand spanking new Skyhawks and Pipers. Some people have mentioned lousy climb performance in the SR20... if you're coming from the trainer fleet than the main thing you'll notice is going faster in cruise, a far more comfortable cabin, and the slightly faster approach speeds make you feel just a little more like a pro pilot, as does taking off with flaps. And in my experience at least the SR20 still felt like it climbed better than the 172N, even with the 180 conversion. But there could have been other variables there like loads, temps, etc.

If you can get a used one under $150K I would say it is an excellent first non-trainer-esq used plane

Oh you mean slapping an IO-390 into a Conti-engine'd SR20? That should be the easiest to do, though I'm not sure if it would be an immediate thing or would it require an STC process. Depends how they re-write the TCDS I suppose. If they make it an "available" engine for all serial numbers of the SR-20, then yeah it's easy. If not, it's gonna need an STC and that's where the economics go to hell for a one-off.

I don't see a market for such a retrofit, though I too would be one to pursue a Lyco conversion of a conti airplane, if I truly believed it was my forever airplane, resale value upside down be damned.

Probably just better off buying a new SR20 with the IO-390 rather than try to go through the pain of getting a Lyc STC.

I think the biggest drawback of the SR20 is the climb performance. A little over 700 fpm at sea-level on a cool day. Now talk hot summer days or high altitude or both, and the climb performance is really anemic. I would definitely take a DA40 over an SR20, but the SR22 is a much better performer, and worth the extra $$.

Yep, 50% more horsepower makes a big difference in the climb rate. I haven't flown a SR20, but I have flown other 200 hp planes and the SR22 is a huge improvement on them for traveling. The climb gets you up to cooler smoother air quicker, which means you accelerate to cruise speed sooner.

Can one travel in the SR20? Certainly. Just because it can hold 60 gallons of 100LL doesn't mean you have to fill it full. We flew an Arrow with 48 gallon tanks and that went farther than we wanted to go without a break.

Back